Is there a really good Alesis Midiverb 2 emulation as a plugin?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Having used the http://seaweedfactory.blogspot.ca... impulses responses for a while I think they sound great.

Afaik the Midiverb II reverb can't be tweaked, it has just fixed presets, right? So you can't change the decay on a program for example.

Because in this case impulses responses should capture the unit pretty well as you can record just every fixed preset as a impulse response.

Add the fact that the Midiverb2 has no modulation in it's reverbs (according to valhallasound on page 1 in this thread) it seems perfectly suited for impulse response emulation, right?

I'm wondering if somebody with knows the Midiverb II well tried these seaweedfactory impulse responses against the unit? Would love to know how near you get to the MIDIverb II sound with them or what's missing.

Isn't this what that It Might Get Loud 1989 verb is? I got that one and it sounds quite good. It's a little over $20 too if I remember
My attempt at creating an educational audio site along with something for my services:

http://www.fidelityrebellion.com

ViciousBliss wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:36 am Isn't this what that It Might Get Loud 1989 verb is? I got that one and it sounds quite good. It's a little over $20 too if I remember
I thought it might be that. And while some of the names they've given to the presets are close to the MVII settings, there's no suggestion that it is actually an MVII in any of their documentation or in the video they made.

Their plug-in has low- and high-pass filters, a mono mode, and "57 reverb presets", which is not what the MIDIVerb II had. For that "57" number, they may be counting all the effects in the MVII they sampled (if that's what they used), since they also have delay, flanger, chorus and bloom effects. The MIDIVerb II did not have "57 reverb effects". It also didn't have user-adjustable filters or a mono/stereo selector.

Finally, the MIDIVerb II was released in 1988, not 1989. :wink:

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

midi_transmission wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:47 pm Having used the http://seaweedfactory.blogspot.ca... impulses responses for a while I think they sound great.

Afaik the Midiverb II reverb can't be tweaked, it has just fixed presets, right? So you can't change the decay on a program for example.

Because in this case impulses responses should capture the unit pretty well as you can record just every fixed preset as a impulse response.

Add the fact that the Midiverb2 has no modulation in it's reverbs (according to valhallasound on page 1 in this thread) it seems perfectly suited for impulse response emulation, right?

I'm wondering if somebody with knows the Midiverb II well tried these seaweedfactory impulse responses against the unit? Would love to know how near you get to the MIDIverb II sound with them or what's missing.
I still have a MIDIVerb II, and I downloaded the IRs from the site for comparison. I haven't had much time to compare them in depth, but from what I've heard, they're fairly close. They're just not so close that I'm immediately transported back to 1988, when I first fired the MVII up to use with my Roland drum machine. I don't know if that's because I'm using IRs (and not the actual hardware circuitry), because I'm not going through the same mixer and amp setup that I had 30 years ago, or because I'm not using the same Roland drum machine or vocals through the IRs. But something just isn't quite right.

I'll try to dig deeper into these and try to compare them to my MVII over the next few days, to see if I can pin down what's different. (For all I know, the only difference may be my hearing!)

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

planetearth wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:09 am
midi_transmission wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:47 pm Having used the http://seaweedfactory.blogspot.ca... impulses responses for a while I think they sound great.

I still have a MIDIVerb II, and I downloaded the IRs from the site for comparison. I haven't had much time to compare them in depth, but from what I've heard, they're fairly close. They're just not so close that I'm immediately transported back to 1988, when I first fired the MVII up to use with my Roland drum machine. I don't know if that's because I'm using IRs (and not the actual hardware circuitry), because I'm not going through the same mixer and amp setup that I had 30 years ago, or because I'm not using the same Roland drum machine or vocals through the IRs. But something just isn't quite right.

I'll try to dig deeper into these and try to compare them to my MVII over the next few days, to see if I can pin down what's different. (For all I know, the only difference may be my hearing!)

Steve
IRs are 'static', so good for rooms, but bad for algorithmic verbs since just about all of them involve modulation somewhere in the signal path.

edit: already mentioned in the quoted post - apologies for not reading more closely.

Steve
Would be super awesome to get your opinion later. Thanks a lot. :)

I read the manual and watched a lot of youtube, but I'm stil not 100% sure about this.
It this right? Would be great when somebody who knows this unit well could confirm. Thanks.

midi_transmission wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:30 pm I read the manual and watched a lot of youtube, but I'm stil not 100% sure about this.
It this right? Would be great when somebody who knows this unit well could confirm. Thanks.
This is absolutely true. The presets were mostly different decays.

Thanks for the clarification :tu:

midi_transmission wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:03 am

Steve
Would be super awesome to get your opinion later. Thanks a lot. :)
Well, I tried a few of the IRs, and to be honest, it's difficult to make a fair and accurate comparison. First and foremost is the plug-in I've loaded the IRs into--Sonar's "lite" version of Overloud's REmatrix. I'm using the "lite" version to bypass all the options and parameters the full version (which I also have) offers, but even still, it seems it's either somehow altering the frequency response of the IRs slightly (even with all the EQ and delay options set at 0)...or maybe they're just not great IRs in the first place. I suspect it's the former, but the only other convolution reverb I have is the free version of Reverberate. That adds a fairly hefty delay to the playback of the 'verb, so it obviously alters the effect.

Part of the problem in what I'm hearing may well be that the original MIDIVerb II operated in a "matrixed stereo" mode. It wasn't true stereo. (This probably explains why it never sounded good on synths I had that also had "fake" stereo outputs; the resulting phasing was horrible.) The IRs may well capture a "matrixed stereo" impulse, but I don't know how REmatrix handles all of that internally. REmatrix may handle the stereo input and output of the audio differently than the original MIDIVerb II.

All that said, the IRs I tried do have a nice sound, and are reminiscent of the MIDIVerb II and maybe a couple of other $250 reverbs from the late 1980s/early 1990s. I'm hoping to work on some tunes soon that try to capture the sounds of the late '80s and early '90s, and I won't hesitate to use these IRs.

And yes, the MIDIVerb II offered no modulation of the effects, and no EQ. All you got were controls for input, output and overall mix.

Steve

Thank you very much for your impressions, Steve! This helps a lot. :clap:

I don't have the setup to integrate external hardware well in my DAW. I would need to buy a new audio interface in addition to the unit and that seems a bit too much at the moment.

So after knowing that the impulses are at least similar to the sound of the original unit, I can now use the impulses responses to emulate the Midiverb2 color without asking myself every time I use them :D how much I miss compared to the actual Midiverb2.

For some reason I thought that Goodhertz Megaverb is supposed to emulate a Midiverb.

Back in the 90s I had a Midiverb 4 that I used with a D4 and an Octapad to trigger it. It was a nice effects unit for sure.
https://www.alesis.com/products/legacy/midiverb4

perpetual3 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:50 am For some reason I thought that Goodhertz Megaverb is supposed to emulate a Midiverb.
I think Megaverb emulates the core algorithm inside the old Alesis verbs rather than any specific reverb unit and includes several other modes, similar to Audiority's Xenoverb, which has an Alesis-like mode called Flow.

midi_transmission wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:41 am Thank you very much for your impressions, Steve! This helps a lot. :clap:

I don't have the setup to integrate external hardware well in my DAW. I would need to buy a new audio interface in addition to the unit and that seems a bit too much at the moment.

So after knowing that the impulses are at least similar to the sound of the original unit, I can now use the impulses responses to emulate the Midiverb2 color without asking myself every time I use them :D how much I miss compared to the actual Midiverb2.
They definitely do get the Midiverb II colour. I picked up SPX90 IRs last year and they do likewise. However the thing that goes missing is the effect each unit has on the dry signal and how the dry and wet signal mash together.

Hopefully I'll be picking up an SPX90 in the next couple of weeks to run some tests.

Return to “Effects”