Ohmboyz Infinity

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OhmBoyz

I'll make sure to test it. It looks like a very nice design for a creative tool.

Sound mangling options will increase drastically in our next update BTW but unless there's popular demand, I don't think we're heading toward bit reduction.

BTW, quite a few people have joined the EA since that thread started, feel free to post Feature Request and feedback on the latest release page (/discuss button in the UI)

https://blog.ohmforce.com/ohmboyz-infin ... ion-0-0-1/

Others are welcome as well. But I'll keep monitoring the present thread too obviously.

It looks interesting but...

1. As others have commented many of us already have alot of delays. Sure they are not able to do what Infinity can do but when you have around 20 delays as I have your buyer threshold becomes very high.

2.The general trend is that prices are falling - Replika XT was cheap as an upgrade, Sandman Pro I got in a sale and then used my coupon, I got Waves multitap and D16 Sigmund for free I think (Focusrite owner).

3. Other companies are offering bundles and then small (sometimes tiny) incremental upgrade prices - people like Eventide and Sound Toys. You've indicated it won't be a great deal as an Ohmboyz owner (I also own all the rest of the FX and the synth.) so again it's not attractive.

4. As someone said you've placed restrictions on resale. I'm not sure that is even legal in the EU now. In a way that's souring my relationship with you and makes me less inclined to buy again.
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

I'm so happy that Ohm Force is back. They were one of my biggest inspirations for getting into plugin development.

I love Ohm Boyz Infinity. It compares very favorably to Intellijel's Rainmaker, which is one of the only modules still keeping me in Eurorack. I've only been playing with OBI for the morning, and I've achieved quite a bit with it.

Regarding comparisons to Sandman Pro (which I've seen a lot of in this thread), they are two very different animals. Sandman Pro is built primarily around its looping functionality (Sleep Mode). There are various delay modes in Sandman Pro. The Multitap mode is far simpler than what OBI offers, but OBI doesn't have, say, Glitch Shifter mode.

The workflow design is (currently) a lot different as well. We've built up Sandman Pro so that the entire interface is visible at once. All modulators are visible on the bottom row simultaneously and all delay settings are always visible. In OBI, there is a lot of depth, so per-tap controls are on different pages, along with pages for each modulator and modulation destination.

They are certainly both complex delays, but as dayjob said... apples and oranges.

€99 to be a beta tester is way too expensive and there’s no guarantee where this will end up as a finished product...

Sound wise this needs to stand up to the Eventide or Lexicon rackmount delay/effect units.

It should be able to have serial and/or parallel routing, independent feedback paths for each tap, filters, chorus, phasers, resonators, pitch shifters, saturation and bitcrushing that can be inserted pre or post delay and inside or outside of the feedback loops.

All needs to modulatable as does the delay time which should also have adjustable glide response and glide range.

One can dream :hihi:

It'll never be complete unless you include a kitchen-sink resonator with that lot.

But I also can't help feeling you've missed the point when it comes to the way in which the taps interact with the delay lines in Ohmboyz. They are not like the taps in most other delays.

Like some said plugins that are over $50-60 give me pause due to many very good devs put product out in that range. I have guitar amp cabs sims over that price but I tend to end up using many of the cheaper option plugs.

RobGee wrote:€99 to be a beta tester is way too expensive and there’s no guarantee where this will end up as a finished product...

Sound wise this needs to stand up to the Eventide or Lexicon rackmount delay/effect units.

It should be able to have serial and/or parallel routing, independent feedback paths for each tap, filters, chorus, phasers, resonators, pitch shifters, saturation and bitcrushing that can be inserted pre or post delay and inside or outside of the feedback loops.

All needs to modulatable as does the delay time which should also have adjustable glide response and glide range.

One can dream :hihi:
just buy reaktor and roll your own if you want a kitchen sink processor :)

Gamma-UT wrote:It'll never be complete unless you include a kitchen-sink resonator with that lot.

But I also can't help feeling you've missed the point when it comes to the way in which the taps interact with the delay lines in Ohmboyz. They are not like the taps in most other delays.
Actually most other delays don't have Taps. Multi Tap delays is more common as a guitar pedal FX as in otplugin. This is because on paper, Taps are really simple things, a replication of the input with a delay, but no feedback in itself. On your linear DAW it's just like duplicating a track with an offset, a trick commonly use by producers. The need for such features by plugin dev isn't as obvious in the digital world. The tricky part the sequence can't do is rather the delay so it tends to get the focus when designing the plug.

Still we feel those simple taps have huge potentials within the plugin / patch.
- they allow for Early Reflection fx, which then combined with appropriate settings/filters in the delays or now the use of an actual reverb make up for some highly musical, production friendly reverb. You can quickly get that rewarding atmoshpere of glorious pop classics.
- they allow for rythmic FX, again like the Edge or Pink Floyd, but with modulation. If you listen to the video above it's all about that.
- they allow for sound mangling, shifting part of the sound in rythm etc.

Then you factor in the Macro system to affect all of your taps at the same time and it's another world of sonic mayhem that expands to you. ;-)

What kind of protection for EA and final version? If it's online activation, how many activations and is it easy to de-activate?

Can it do reverse per tap ? That's THE feature I've been looking for everywhere in the world...
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

xx JPRacer xx wrote:What kind of protection for EA and final version? If it's online activation, how many activations and is it easy to de-activate?
No activation, serial. It's either one license per user or per station. Typically you install it every where you want as long as you're the one using it (the other mode is for studios/schools)
DJErmac wrote:Can it do reverse per tap ? That's THE feature I've been looking for everywhere in the world...
Yes, as long as you don't ask your DAW to travel in time. You can have reverse playback of something that was already put in playback, not something that has not yet run through your playhead. It works typically by applying a negative modulation on a period. Say you have delay of 4 bar with a negative saw LFO at 100%, depending of the period of the LFO it will play backward at various speed. The modulation system is here to take advantage of this. Using step sequencer as a modulator on a loop can create a heap of interesting stuff for instance. If you'd rather use it on say solo guitar you'll just have to put the corresponding track earlier in the mix so that it can start to buffer content to play backward.

To be clear we're not the first delay to do this (although Ohmboyz possibly was, at least as plugin) but in Ohmboyz Infinity we pushed that use case pretty far.

I'm really loving Infinity, it's a fun delay. It makes me want to experiment.

Thanks Ohm Force!

DJErmac wrote:Can it do reverse per tap ? That's THE feature I've been looking for everywhere in the world...
Yes, as long as you don't ask your DAW to travel in time. You can have reverse playback of something that was already put in playback, not something that has not yet run through your playhead. It works typically by applying a negative modulation on a period. Say you have delay of 4 bar with a negative saw LFO at 100%, depending of the period of the LFO it will play backward at various speed. The modulation system is here to take advantage of this. Using step sequencer as a modulator on a loop can create a heap of interesting stuff for instance. If you'd rather use it on say solo guitar you'll just have to put the corresponding track earlier in the mix so that it can start to buffer content to play backward.

To be clear we're not the first delay to do this (although Ohmboyz possibly was, at least as plugin) but in Ohmboyz Infinity we pushed that use case pretty far.
Here is exactly an example of what I'm trying to do :
Let's say we have a very simple 1/4 ping pong delay to make it very simple.
Tap 1 = 1/4
Tap 2 = 1/4
Tap 3 = 1/4 reverse
Tap 4 = 1/4
You will get of course :
SOUND sound sound dnuos sound

In other words, I'm simply talking about a reverse delay, like Rob Papen Delay, Ohmboyz or others are capable of, that represent only the taps you choose. The reverse becomes nothing but an extra effect to make your delay sound more interesting.

At the moment I know no plugin that can do this.

Of course I know some ways to get this, but you need tricks, and they are not really cpu optimized...
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

DJErmac wrote: Here is exactly an example of what I'm trying to do :
Let's say we have a very simple 1/4 ping pong delay to make it very simple.
Tap 1 = 1/4
Tap 2 = 1/4
Tap 3 = 1/4 reverse
Tap 4 = 1/4
You will get of course :
SOUND sound sound dnuos sound

At the moment I know no plugin that can do this.
Too lazy to check at the moment but pretty sure that the Tap Delay stompbox in Amblitube 4 can do exactly that.

EDIT: checked and indeed you can set individual taps to reverse in TapDelay in AT4.
No signature here!

Gamma-UT wrote:... missed the point when it comes to the way in which the taps interact with the delay lines in Ohmboyz. They are not like the taps in most other delays.
4 independent taps of predelay.(ohmboys original)
----
:party: ehrm..

Infinity has 8 taps.. but the fundamental setup is the same!?

To have a normal stereo delay:
Turn the tap time/levels to zero!? ..then you will have to adjust 2 delays which are hidden in 2 tabs?
- WonderEcho -

Return to “Effects”