Empirical Labs Arousor is on sale for $149, worth getting?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Arousor

Still expensive for a compressor.

I demoed it and to me its overhyped just because its made by Distressor creator. I expected, judging by comments, especially on Gearlslutz, that it will be the best sw compressor. After test, I must say, it sounds ok, but definitely not that good as some people post about it. Its a decent compressor that will do a decent job on almost any material but definitely not better than some other competitor products. And yes, price is ridiculous.

It's definitely overrated. SKNote Disto competes with any of the distressor emulations to where I don't think there's much benefit in spending more. Diminishing returns. Kush's UBK-whatever has settings that do a convincing distressor. As does PSP's Mixpressor and U-He's Presswerks.

Distressor emulations have saturated the market. Everyone and their brother has a software comp that can sound like a distressor.

Tried while on sale : not very impressed. I'll pass. :neutral:
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

badass_billy wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:21 pmEveryone and their brother has a software comp that can sound like a distressor.
the irony is that the distressor itself was supposed to sound like other comps... :D
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:55 pm the irony is that the distressor itself was supposed to sound like other comps... :D
And in the sortware world, you can just get emus of the comps it was trying to sound like. Instead of the emulation of the thing trying to emulate the other things. :D

With that said, I think there is a very distinct distressor "smashy drums" sound that is unique to the distressor. But there's stuff that copies that for pretty cheap, too.

http://www.cocellproductions.com/Pensadia/sor8.html

https://www.sknoteaudio.com/wp/index.ph ... h-midside/

I've been using Arousor for a few months now; for me it does a thing no other compressor plugins I own can - bringing a part so close and into a spotlight (sometimes at expense of sounding a little "plastic"), but again for me personally it's far from being an universal compressor.

It used to cost 300 dollars? Jesus effing Christ!
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

When a plugin is priced so out of the market average I am certain with a 95% of confidence that is pure unaltered snake oil tactics.
dedication to flying

Even at that price it’s not as flexible as Pro C2 or Presswerk. Plus the guy seems like a doosh.

Return to “Effects”