2CAudio Precedence | 1.5 | Move Out Of Flatland. Take Precedence.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jbraner wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:40 am This has probably been covered earlier in the thread - but it's a lot to search through.

I'm finding that a bass guitar sounds good running through Precedence only (no other reverb). Can I think of this like "ER only" or some kind of "ambience"?

I'm using an angle of 0 and distance around 10 and it just adds a little "place" to the sound.
Effectively, yes. Particularly at larger distances and exaggerated "Time Delta" values. And the two additional modes in the next update can exaggerate this even more.

Bass sounds where one does not typically use lots of reverb (at least in contemporary music styles) is a great option to try such things, yes sir. :tu:

Precedence will also tend to keep bass frequencies mostly in phase unless you use extreme distance, angle, or width. The width/spaciousness effect here will mostly change the harmonics of the signal, which can be quite nice while still keeping the bass sitting well in the mix.

Be sure to click on the "Variation Randomize" dice icon on the right a few times to try different variations of this general technique to find one that gives the exact balance of width you are looking for on your particular content. There are at least 2^3072 to choose from. If you try them all you get a prize. :D

Thanks for that Andrew 😉
I normally wouldn't put any kind of reverb on bass guitar - but I just tried this and thought it sounded good.
I'll play with the dice - but might stop short of trying them all.
What if I try them all, and then realise that I like the 2497th the best. How would I get back to it 😉 :roll: :dog:
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

jbraner wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:44 am What if I try them all, and then realize that I like the 2497th the best. How would I get back to it 😉 :roll: :dog:
a) you can't. the 2497th click this time won't be the same as the 2497th click last time or tomorrow etc. if you find a magic result, save it as a preset.

b) it's not 3072 different results, it's "2 to the 3072 power" different results. the universe will long be dead before anyone (well EVERYONE, not just anyone, who ever lived, or ever will live) could try them all. :D we went a little crazy with this stuff. just in case we ever want to make a crypto currency or something. :D

Got it - I just didn't feel like saying "on the 2*2497th time" ;)
John Braner
http://johnbraner.bandcamp.com
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

jens wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:42 pm I love the smell of cease and desist in the morning...
I dont think you can trademark a scientific term, especially one that has been in use since 1949: http://www.cns.bu.edu/~shinn/resources/ ... edence.pdf

Andrew Souter wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:28 am
jbraner wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:44 am What if I try them all, and then realize that I like the 2497th the best. How would I get back to it 😉 :roll: :dog:
a) you can't. the 2497th click this time won't be the same as the 2497th click last time or tomorrow etc. if you find a magic result, save it as a preset.

b) it's not 3072 different results, it's "2 to the 3072 power" different results. the universe will long be dead before anyone (well EVERYONE, not just anyone, who ever lived, or ever will live) could try them all. :D we went a little crazy with this stuff. just in case we ever want to make a crypto currency or something. :D
Any way to implement a history of the last few states? Would be especially nice for the compiled patterns in breeze. Sometimes a pattern was nice but too fast im clicking on randomize again 😢

dermage wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:20 pm Any way to implement a history of the last few states? Would be especially nice for the compiled patterns in breeze. Sometimes a pattern was nice but too fast im clicking on randomize again 😢
It's technically possible. We could consider it for the future.

Meanwhile you can also use the A-B preset state functionality to save a good result while trying others, so you do already have at least one "backup state" to compare to without saving extra presets. (although we had to move this functionality into the file menu in next version to make some room for something else.)

Andrew Souter wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:35 pm
dermage wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:20 pm Any way to implement a history of the last few states? Would be especially nice for the compiled patterns in breeze. Sometimes a pattern was nice but too fast im clicking on randomize again 😢
It's technically possible. We could consider it for the future.

Meanwhile you can also use the A-B preset state functionality to save a good result while trying others, so you do already have at least one "backup state" to compare to without saving extra presets. (although we had to move this functionality into the file menu in next version to make some room for something else.)
Yeah, that would be super cool to have some go-back states. I remember Izotope has this and it's really helpful. Yes I know the way with A/B, but it's one step more and as I said, often I'm forgetting setting it or click too fast.

Thanks Andrew. Looking forward to 1.5 / 2.5 :)

JoaquinAce wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:23 pm
jens wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:42 pm I love the smell of cease and desist in the morning...
I dont think you can trademark a scientific term, especially one that has been in use since 1949: http://www.cns.bu.edu/~shinn/resources/ ... edence.pdf
I would have thought it depended on the context such as whether it is used as a product name or to describe a natural phenomenon. e.g. I would not expect Intel to be happy if AMD brought out an Atom processor (and it definitely is trademarked).

Automating distance/angle in Precedence and Mix in Breeze 2 (to match the distance parameter in Precedence), DAW: LogicX - processing a simple repeating Lithophone sequence. With shorter reverb times there are no audible clicks at all when automating things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_l7p-IGpxg

We are getting close I hope...

Meanwhile here's a little mix of some synth-oriented retro thing I made last night to see how it plays in the real world with other tools in the synth world:

http://galbanum.com/public/AndreasSans_ ... _16bit.wav

8 instances of Precedence
8 Instances of Breeze 2
1 Instance of B2
1 Instance of Valhalla Delay
misc, comp/eq/limiting

The main synths each have a P-B pair with unique positioning.
The Bass has a P without B to provide some moderate amount of width and motion.
The Pads have a P instance using a new mode to increase width, and a B.

B2 is on a send with automation to provide the huge verb wash at the end.

1 instance of V Delay provides the automating feedback FX used for transitions via send.

The P-B combo was conceived originally with acoustic things in mind as I was thinking about orchestral scoring work where it creates real magic. As a challenge, I was curious how P and B would play with other "non-accoustic" things such as extreme delays like this and chorus FX etc built into synths in the context of electronic-oriented things. I think the result gels quite nicely in these kind of more abstract/modern/electronic/synth mixes too. I'll discuss more as we come to the update release...

Andrew Souter wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:18 pm 1 Instance of Valhalla Delay
:hihi: :tu:

Potentially a silly question but is this designed specifically to work with Breeze 2 (my go-to for most things) or will it pair nicely with other reverbs?

It can augment any/all reverbs including third party verbs.

And/but it has specific integration with Breeze 2, which is being enhanced in the next update.

experimental.crow wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:14 pm
Andrew Souter wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:32 pm re the release: as per usual as we accomplish one goal we end up in "feature creep" and can't resist the temptation to do other related (or not) goals.... We were mostly done with what we said we would do by January, but we added additional goals that seemed obtainable, and are obtainable, but took/take extra time. They are worth the time/effort though. A couple more weeks most likely..
my favorite type of creep ...
tap ... tap ... tap ...
is this thing on ?..

Return to “Effects”