FabFilter Pro-Q 3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pro-Q 3

Typically when there is a sale, I see the upgrade prices in my account go down as well. One thing to keep in mind about Pro-Q3 is there is much less messing around with parameters to get dynamic EQing going compared to say Nova GE (in pro-Q3 there are no envelope controls etc). I think this works well because it means while doing static EQ moves, you can easily and quickly go dynamic on bands that benefit from it without a hit to cognitive load. The trick to pull this off for FabFilter is making the dynamic parameters automatic and sounding good - so far in my testing its quite effective and so far no major audio artifacts from the dynamic EQ.

So on top of multi-track analysis and per-channel bands, they've also integrated an almost-seamless dynamic EQ! :phones:

I think I got the Pro-L 2 upgrade cheaper by waiting for their end of the year sale. If I remember right I saved 1 EUR. :party:

BTW, 3.01 solved my issue with the VST3. Yay!

Your upgrade pricing is calculated in your account and means you always get an extra discount depending on number of plugins owned, on top of the sale price.

But the thing is... that exta discount diminishes. Say you own 6 Fabfilter plugins so on any given day (no sales on) you log into your account and you're punting a decent 40% off customer discount on that next single plugin purchase. Then they have a 20% sale on, so you're wondering "great.. I was getting 40% off last week, maybe with the 20% off sale it means i'll get 60% off in total"... but it doesn't work like that, it will be more like 45% off (an extra 5%, not 20%).

Correct me if I'm wrong but that's been my experience. No complaints either - atleast they have a fully functioning, individually calculated returning customer discount system.

$90 to upgrade an eq plugin is insane!
http://www.youtube.com/reflekshun
Music Producer / Audio Engineer

reflekshun wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:03 pm $90 to upgrade an eq plugin is insane!
Don't do it then :wink: With the given features I saw it as a new plugin and my personal upgrade price was absolutely worth it 8)

They will drop the upgrade by 25% during a sale at some point. Which should bring it in line with what most are paying I bet.

From what I have read in the manual and explored, it does not support side chain input to "key" the eq filter detector. In other words, I can't have a bassline be eq'd by a kick drum to duck a certain frequency. I can use side chain to visually inspect the spectrum or use it for the auto eq match.
Am I missing something or is this feature missing?

DrReacto wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:35 pm From what I have read in the manual and explored, it does not support side chain input to "key" the eq filter detector. In other words, I can't have a bassline be eq'd by a kick drum to duck a certain frequency. I can use side chain to visually inspect the spectrum or use it for the auto eq match.
Am I missing something or is this feature missing?
You are only able to see the clashing frequencies and then manually eq, no external sidechain is present.
It's easy if you know how

Been testing this...

The dynamic EQ makes this worth the upgrade.

Copying Waves F6 Dynamic EQ and marking it up above $29, seems like a big brainer to me.

Who doesn't need another visually dependent training software, giving your ears less experience and development.

What's next painting by sound?

synth guru wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:55 pm Who doesn't need another visually dependent training software, giving your ears less experience and development.

Why have labels at all? Why not a bunch of sliders in no particular order?

yellowmix wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:03 pm
synth guru wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:55 pm Who doesn't need another visually dependent training software, giving your ears less experience and development.

Why have labels at all? Why not a bunch of sliders in no particular order?
:)
Yep use your ears :)
rsp
sound sculptist

I hope the anti GUI folks on here posted with MS-Dos or I'm gonna get pissed! :wink:

synth guru wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:55 pm Copying Waves F6 Dynamic EQ and marking it up above $29, seems like a big brainer to me.

Who doesn't need another visually dependent training software, giving your ears less experience and development.

You might prefer to hang out at GS.

Sampleconstruct wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:25 pm Bought the upgrade from version2 blind-folded, here is a quick test of the dynamic EQ functions on a very resonant tabla sound, now PRO-Q3 will easily substitute my goto dynamic EQ (Melda), plus it does all the things I was used to from version2, great update!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmXHw8DHd7c
Simon why will it easily substitute Melda’s MAutoDynamicEQ?
That one has been my goto EQ for years now but I’m interested in what I’ll get with Pro-Q 3 if I get it. Is it just because of the more sleek GUI?

Return to “Effects”