Your fave MIDI fx, arp, mapper, mangler, generator, chorder, controller, utility. VST or MFX

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Harmony Bloom

(I said "…in the next few days" above, because I'm back in video demo mode at long last, as you can see here, so it's suddenly a lot more likely to happen.)

Here's MY new fav MIDI sequencing/mangling/varying/jamming-with FX, currently with a heavy discount for "early" adopters—big fun!:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmT6BmT0A_A

Thanks for considering it. I'm still interested!

Hereya go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdtQoM3aXe4

Just spotted a sort of error, at around 6:00 min in…

Changing from Normal to 2x or 1/2x doesn't "stretch" or "compress" the performance file. It uses more or less of the total file length, packing in twice or half as many of the available events into the same progression length.

Here's what the EZKeys project played at the end looked like before it was exported as a MIDI file:

David,

Thanks for the EZ Keys video. Very informative!
Variations! Love it.
Too bad EZ keys runs $179.

AND

The Midi Looper video was also helpful.

Lately not getting any notice from KVR of a subscription post.
Anyone else have a similar problem?

Kalamata Kid wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:48 pm David,

Variations! Love it.
Didn't I mention that you can routinely find EZKeys for sale here, typically for about $50? That's how I bought it, with a WTB post… EDIT, yup, just checked back at my original post to confirm that I had:)

Glad you found the vids helpful!

David,

I found your videos very helpful to the point that I may buy Midi Looper and EZKeys
But I do wonder as always what other plugins can do the same thing as good or better.
especially EZkeyus. I know you love to work with midi so you may have the answer.

My weakness is chord progression. Love variations on a theme and musical randomization.
Pure Generation and guided my midi keyboard generation.

I am hopeful the Architect will offer the features I am looking for so for months now I have been abiding buying midi fx.

Thanks for video.

Kalamata Kid wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:48 pm David,

Variations! Love it.

AND

The Midi Looper video was also helpful.

Lately not getting any notice from KVR of a subscription post.
Anyone else have a similar problem?
You can buy EZKeys (full versions of sound banks so you also get the host software) here pretty regularly for $50. Don't pay that silly price.

Kalamata Kid wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:19 am David,

I found your videos very helpful to the point that I may buy Midi Looper and EZKeys
But I do wonder as always what other plugins can do the same thing as good or better.
especially EZkeyus. I know you love to work with midi so you may have the answer.

My weakness is chord progression. Love variations on a theme and musical randomization.
Pure Generation and guided my midi keyboard generation.

I am hopeful the Architect will offer the features I am looking for so for months now I have been abiding buying midi fx.
As far as I've ever seen, EZKeys is the best tool for doing exactly what I showed it doing: playing one MIDI file through many different progressions, and one progression being played by many different MIDI performance files. These seem so basic and obvious things to want to do with MIDI, but I've never seen anything else that actually does them as elegantly and easily as EZKeys. There are of course DAWs these days that allow the creation of chord tracks (Studio One and WaveForm that I know of), so these should be able to run any midi performance files through their chord tracks and get the same effect, but not as easily nor as quickly as EZKeys, again as far as I know. There may well be more expensive tools out there that I've never even considered or explored, and I'm sure there's some Windows-only tools, probably including many free ones, that are also very powerful, but I know nothing about.…

The only other tool that comes close to EZKeys that I know of is Rapid Composer, and it's actually a LOT more powerful in almost every way, for chord-progression design, drag'n'drop rhythm stealing, note/phrase randomizing, and especially at music-theory-savvy variation applications, as I demo in a couple of videos, of which this is the first:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFFyu22Qjz0

I love how NOT-random all these tools are that RC offers, and how adjustable!

RC's got all the chord and progression tools and import powers, and more, that EZKeys has, as well as much better "song" arranging features (multi-track, for one thing…), but RC can't do the "swap in any MIDI performance" trick I showed EZKeys doing so effortlessly.

…which is admittedly not something most anybody will want to do much of (completely swipe some exact, existing performance or composition and simply change the chords). But it's really great to know you can work with your own MIDI files that way. RC can certainly import MIDI performances, but its whole purpose is to let you deeply reshape the imports using all its amazing tools, so it makes sense that it's more concerned with processing imports so they CAN be worked with, than with preserving them so they sound exactly the same…so, imports usually don't sound exactly the same after import analyzing. If you want to include unaltered imports, you can skip the RC analysis, but then you can't use the randomize, re-rhythmatize, or variations tools on them.

I too am very interested to see what Architect will eventually be able to do, and I've no doubt that will include stuff, maybe a LOT of stuff, that I want to do, too. But so far I haven't seen any indication that it's going to be anywhere near as grounded in traditional music theory and composition as either EZKeys or Rapid Composer, so I don't see it as very likely to replace either of these other tools in my kit if I ever do get it.

David wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:51 am viewtopic.php?p=7462041
Very tempting for $40.
I will wait to see what Architect will offer.
But may change my mind.

I will wait for Rapid Composer 4 and then decide.

You have been a lot of help with your videos and suggestions.

Thank you, David! That's very helpful. Now I need to go build up my library of midi performances.
Kalamata Kid wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:48 pm Too bad EZ keys runs $179.
I got my copy straight from Toontrack for like $29 in a sale within the last year.

DrMEM wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:10 pm Thank you, David! That's very helpful. Now I need to go build up my library of midi performances.
Kalamata Kid wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:48 pm Too bad EZ keys runs $179.
I got my copy straight from Toontrack for like $29 in a sale within the last year.
At $29 it will be an instant buy for me especially if includes an expansion.
Now to be on the alert for the sale.

This is just the expansion and does not include the EZkeys for $29?
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... gK9EfD_BwE

Kalamata Kid wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:49 pm
This is just the expansion and does not include the EZkeys for $29?
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... gK9EfD_BwE
Yup.

Hi David,

So single notes stay as single notes?
Triads stay as triads?

If I was to put a horrible performance with notes all over the place then what happens?
How about one not so horrible, then what happens? Does EZkeys make some effort to to make sense out of the mess?

Or perhaps wait for me to get it and find out for myself?

On the usability question: Yes.
I did like start and near the end of your song on the video.

Return to “Effects”