Waves - WUP vs sale prices

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

morelia wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:05 am
Reefius wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:53 am Why would you need WUP on something you just bought? It should be already at V10.
I don't. Just demonstrating the mystery of WUP.
Is there per chance the mater of currency conversion rates that are making the difference??

Ot perhaps he might have more plugins in general which may overall effect the price of his WUP??

I was trying to get RBass v9 to load in Logic. After jumping a bunch of hoops installing the v9 edition via offline install and messing around with troubleshooting it still didnt show up. (It did show up in other daw demos I have though) So I got tired and paid about 11 usd to upgrade it. Now it shows up in Logic without a hitch. Not a major issue for this plugin because the upgrade price was cheap but the others I have have a heftier upgrade price.

Done with Waves forever. Won't deal with a company who creates a system like this to make a buck. You could literally offer the entire catalog to me for free and I would have not have the slightest hesitancy to decline

Reefius wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:53 am Why would you need WUP on something you just bought? It should be already at V10.
You could also contact Waves sales team, they will explain how exactly WUP price is calculated in your case. But it's true that the WUP price calculation system is quite sophisticated, and sometimes it is more interesting to upgrade to a bigger bundle than to WUP.
Win10 Cubase Pro 9.5

Andy Gone wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:53 am
You could also contact Waves sales team, they will explain how exactly WUP price is calculated in your case. But it's true that the WUP price calculation system is quite sophisticated, and sometimes it is more interesting to upgrade to a bigger bundle than to WUP.
I would not call it sophisticated, it can only attract people who absolutely do not care about the price. Those do not waiste their time on KVR and will never find out they pay for us poor musicians the Waves deals... WUP is simply to ignore!

Interesting stuff. I just bought my first Waves plugin, so was really unaware of this issue. As my outlay was only €28, I didn't really do my due diligence. It is unlikely I am going to buy any further products from them, but that's mostly because I have almost all my fx needs as is. I bought the Abbey Road Chambers. If I really like it, I mayyyy go for the plates. If not, well, Not too much lost. I don't expect to update beyond Mojave on this computer, anyway.

So, thanks for the informative thread.

PS, I had a bit of a problem with Waves Central, but it was my fault. I simply didn't see that I needed to check the plugin as I transfered the licence from the cloud to my computer. If I did buy the AR Plates, I expect that I'd have no issue with the installation process again.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

chk071 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:21 pm
LeVzi wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:14 am
Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:25 am Caps required.

YOU DON'T NEED TO F*CKING WUP!!!! AND DID YOU TICK THE BOX AT THE TOP?

We need something bigger than CAPS for that. Because its true.

Waves disgust me with this WUP crap. I love their plug-ins and I always get something when it's on sale, but I refuse to annually pay for nothing.
You don't have to. :shrug:
You do when the WUP runs out if you want to keep the plugin updated. But tbh i've found all mine still work V9 or V10 side by side, so its ok, but by the time updates come and these versions "conveniently" stop working, it will cost a small fortune to update all the WUP's.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

For non-overlapping titles, it is capped at $225. if you have Mercury, SSL and the instruments as singles, WUP for basically everything there is is ok.

The problem is that it’s too expensive for christmas gift licenses or licenses bought with 80% discount.

But then again: how do you think waves can afford these sales prices? It’s all financed by projected future WUP.

Waves don’t think their plug-ins are worth only 30 bucks. So WUP will never be in relation to 30 buck sales but always be based on their MSRP.
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

Of course, the other option is to upgrade to a “bigger” bundle when it goes on sale. It may even turn out cheaper, it’ll come with WUP but all you’re plugins will be updated to the latest version anyway. Plus you could end up with more plugins that you may want to use.

Just another thought.

Return to “Effects”