Sonalksis plugins in 2019 :)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:56 pm
DarkStar wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:48 pm
Krzysztof Oktalski wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:46 am The DSP in some Sonalksis products is entirely the work of Dave, he hasn't received a penny from them since leaving (contrary to the agreement under which the products were licensed). AFAIK the same is true for the GUI designer.

As such they have no legal entitlement to sell these products - Sonalksis sell warez.
Is that strictly true? They may or may not have kept to the agreement but I would think that they are still entitled to sell their products. A possible breach of the agreement is a separate issue and can only be settled legally.
I'm pretty sure the "Sonalksis sell warez" statement was clearly a statement of opinion, albeit a strong opinion. It sounds like there was an agreement about what and how those plugins were to be distributed and revenue shared, that agreement is not being honored [these things could be litigated], and from the perspective of the person getting the short end of the stick, it probably doesn't feel much different than someone illegally selling your software [where the opinion begins]. As far as I know, there's no legal definition for "warez," so I'd say that last sentence is safely Krzysztof expressing his opinion/perspective on the matter.

You may think, "well, I disagree it's warez because they still own the plugins, but they should still pay Dave..." and that'd be ok too..
It is factually true, although not legally true.

Dave will have to take them to court, both sides will have to pay a lot of money, and in the end they'll have to stop selling the plugins. Which both sides don't want to go through. And have decided that it's not worth it.

As I understand.

Yep, only the lawyers would win.
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

xalama qo wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:01 am @soulone82... :roll: indeed...I was just wondering if they were involved with Presonus plugin development due to similar terminology.
Both companies use state space modelling , hence the same name
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State-spa ... esentation
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Krzysztof Oktalski wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:32 am
xalama qo wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:01 am Live and learn and lawyer up.
We considered this, but we're not keen on the implications it could have on end users. Plus, as Sonalksis have pointed out, they have no money; we'd bankrupt them, so what would the point be? That wouldn't work for us, them or users; we thought it better to keep creating better product instead.
:hug: ... :hug:
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:50 pm
Krzysztof Oktalski wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:46 am The DSP in some Sonalksis products is entirely the work of Dave, he hasn't received a penny from them since leaving (contrary to the agreement under which the products were licensed). AFAIK the same is true for the GUI designer.

As such they have no legal entitlement to sell these products - Sonalksis sell warez.
I wouldn't personally buy Sonalksis products today, just because the company is clearly is no longer active (lots of active companies with bright, long futures to buy from), but that right there is why no one should be supporting Sonalksis right now. In case anyone reading this doesn't already know, Krzysztof works with Dave at DMG and would be in a position to know these types of things.

Maybe Dave should repay the favor and do updated models of the old Sonalksis products. "We modeled the classic SV-315 compressor plugin...then made it better!" Want to really piss them off? Make it free. :lol:
Well put. :lol: Also, I love your idea :hihi:

DarkStar wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:48 pm

Is that strictly true? They may or may not have kept to the agreement but I would think that they are still entitled to sell their products. A possible breach of the agreement is a separate issue and can only be settled legally.
I suppose it’s possible he might know more about this than you?

FreeG for best freeware vst of the 00's.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:50 pm

I wouldn't personally buy Sonalksis products today, just because the company is clearly is no longer active (lots of active companies with bright, long futures to buy from), but that right there is why no one should be supporting Sonalksis right now. In case anyone reading this doesn't already know, Krzysztof works with Dave at DMG and would be in a position to know these types of things.

Maybe Dave should repay the favor and do updated models of the old Sonalksis products. "We modeled the classic SV-315 compressor plugin...then made it better!" Want to really piss them off? Make it free. :lol:
Look for presets in certain DMG processors with the word “Alchemy” in the title and “The Big Knob” ;)
I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored...

I bought most of the Sonalksis plugins when they first came out. They were the first compressor and EQ that I felt sounded good ITB. I used them for years until I went to 64 bit. Yes, I do have the 64 bit versions and have them installed, but I don't have a lot of confidence that I will be able to authorize them in the future. Right now they work, but I'd feel better about them if they had some permanent solution to the licensing. I'd be fine if I could put them on iLok or Syncrosoft dongles. The simple registry files they used on the 32 bit versions won't work on the 64 bit versions, so it's kind of a drag and I rather spend time working with plugins that are actively being supported and improved.

does anybody know, if they still have a fee to go from 32 to 64 bit on mac?
"It dreamed itself along"

Return to “Effects”