PA is flooding the subscription model market...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Calenberger wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:20 pm
Bx digital v3 £15 Bx limiter £5 Bx saturator £10 Lindell pex 500 £10 Spl eq rangers £10 Bax EQ £10
There are offers for 3$ per item. :dog:
Don't forgot the $20 transfer for each plugin ... adding $120 to that particular offer. IMHO that's what's driving prices down even further the last few months as much as anything.

Calenberger wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:20 pm PA has devalued their products in a way that‘s a total mess and a terrible shame.

This is one recent offer second hand (not from me!):
Bx digital v3 £15 Bx limiter £5 Bx saturator £10 Lindell pex 500 £10 Spl eq rangers £10 Bax EQ £10

Don‘t know where this will end, but I‘ll watch curiously.
They've devalued the second-hand sales market. Surely that's a good thing for them :shrug:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:38 pm They've devalued the second-hand sales market. Surely that's a good thing for them :shrug:
Well, I mean, if I wanted to buy Bx Digital, $15+$20 is still way less than $299 or the $149 on sale price. So I'm not sure it's actually benefiting Plugin Alliance outside of the transfer fee.

Maybe this was all a cunning ruse to piss off existing license holders and trick them into selling their plugins second-hand so Plugin Alliance can make beau coup bucks off the transfer fees. If so, Dirk may actually be a business genius. :lol:

In all seriousness (the above paragraph was not), I think the second-prices just reflect the lack of demand for these plugins in the first place. Plugin Alliance sold a ton of licenses to plugins people didn't really need, want, or end up using, and they did that by dropping prices so low in the first place. Now people are completely comfortable taking a loss of $20 or whatever and sell their plugins for $9 just to get rid of the stuff they don't need. The people who actually do sign up for the sub don't need their old licenses anymore either, which just further quashes demand. Then you've got the people who are just angry and selling licenses to make a point. These are just low demand products.

If anyone wants to sell the MC77 for a low-low price though, hit me up!

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:38 pm
Calenberger wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:20 pm PA has devalued their products in a way that‘s a total mess and a terrible shame.

This is one recent offer second hand (not from me!):

Don‘t know where this will end, but I‘ll watch curiously.
They've devalued the second-hand sales market. Surely that's a good thing for them :shrug:
Yes and no. It's a good thing because it forces people to come to them direct to buy new licenses, but on the hand it can deter would be customers from taking a risk on the same new licenses, because there's no chance of being able to recoup any funds from selling it on, if it doesn't work out. I don't personally buy plugins to profit from their sale on the 2nd hand market, but if I'm going to take a punt on a new purchase I prefer to have a safety net in the form of an easy resale. You cannot give away PA plugins right now...
Always Read the Manual!

JJ_Jettflow wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:51 pm
Uncle E wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:13 pm
Klinke wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:14 pm I don't get it. When the MEGA bundle subscription was released, some people wished more flexible subscription offers. Now they add more possibilties (again without taking away anything else), and again all people here seems just to be upset and for a sudden all of there plug ins are bullshit, anyway. I think that e.g. an Unfiltered Audio subscription option would be a nice addition, and can not see any evil in it, sorry.
At $5.99 per month, you'll reach the price of buying them outright (at previous sale prices) in just over a year.

At previous sale price but not at the new prices. At the current list price it would take about 8 years to purchase at $5.99 a month.

And why would you want to rent them continually anyway? One of the great advantages of a sub is to rent them when needed. I have a hard time believing the average hobbyist is mixing every single day of the year so why buy something you use every now and then? Working pros maybe, but even then, they can claim their subs on income tax and still not have the big cash outlay for something that will be superseded by the next big thing that comes along in a few months down the road.

Maybe it is just me but I tend to write a collection of songs first, then mix them. So why tie up money in something I use a few months of the year???
A log of people are probaby like myself who. mix as you go. I can work on a project for months, and renting only when I need them doesn’t make sense. Further more, I tend to open projects every now and then to redo them, reuse something, add something etc. This is why I prefer to own, plus I like to keep recurring costs to a minimum and only spend when I have cash to spend.

plexuss wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:29 am
JJ_Jettflow wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:13 pm
JJ_Jettflow wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:51 pm Maybe it is just me but I tend to write a collection of songs first, then mix them. So why tie up money in something I use a few months of the year???
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:07 pm There are definitely a lot of people for whom mixing is totally enmeshed in the creation process. So, your suggestion would not work for everybody.
Fair enough. I do not work like that and honestly can't see how that would work out all that well but to each his own.
Mixing and even mastering are both enmeshed in my creative process (writing and tracking). Subscriptions don't work for me because I want to have my tools available at any time and I may not use specific ones for weeks or months. I prefer to purchase perpetual licenses.

https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/sets/tracks

Took a listen to your music and just wanted to say nice work..both compositionally and production-wise.

I learned audio engineering in the pre-computer era from a retired engineer from the CBC who had his own studio (which eventually became mine) so I learned a very specific way of doing things that I still do today. Composition first, then arrangement, tracking, mixing and then finally mastering. So for me, subscriptions make a lot of sense.

mixtur.se wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:11 pm
JJ_Jettflow wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:51 pm
Uncle E wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:13 pm
Klinke wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:14 pm I don't get it. When the MEGA bundle subscription was released, some people wished more flexible subscription offers. Now they add more possibilties (again without taking away anything else), and again all people here seems just to be upset and for a sudden all of there plug ins are bullshit, anyway. I think that e.g. an Unfiltered Audio subscription option would be a nice addition, and can not see any evil in it, sorry.
At $5.99 per month, you'll reach the price of buying them outright (at previous sale prices) in just over a year.

At previous sale price but not at the new prices. At the current list price it would take about 8 years to purchase at $5.99 a month.

And why would you want to rent them continually anyway? One of the great advantages of a sub is to rent them when needed. I have a hard time believing the average hobbyist is mixing every single day of the year so why buy something you use every now and then? Working pros maybe, but even then, they can claim their subs on income tax and still not have the big cash outlay for something that will be superseded by the next big thing that comes along in a few months down the road.

Maybe it is just me but I tend to write a collection of songs first, then mix them. So why tie up money in something I use a few months of the year???
A log of people is probably like myself who. mix as you go. I can work on a project for months, and renting only when I need them doesn’t make sense. Furthermore, I tend to open projects every now and then to redo them, reuse something, add something, etc. This is why I prefer to own, plus I like to keep recurring costs to a minimum and only spend when I have the cash to spend.
Please read my reply to Plexuss for a better understanding of where I am coming from.

When tracking the in the pre-compter era, no eq or compression was ever used (at least at the studio I worked) and tonal character was achieved through mic selection, mic placement and if possible, instrument settings (like amp eq, swapping out snares, etc). The idea was to achieve 99% of the tonal character that way because onboard e.q. was pretty much all you had and unless you had a top tier board, it might not be that effective.

So for me, VSTfx like e.q. and limiters, comps never enter until my stems are rendered. I also like this way because then I can create even further during the mixing process using fx and manipulate the audio in ways I might not have thought of during the composition, arrangement tracking processes.

And since this is a part-time endeavor, paying out hundreds of dollars for stuff that will be used for a month or two twice a year seems like a waste.

JJ_Jettflow wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:22 pm
plexuss wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:29 am
JJ_Jettflow wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:13 pm
JJ_Jettflow wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:51 pm Maybe it is just me but I tend to write a collection of songs first, then mix them. So why tie up money in something I use a few months of the year???
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:07 pm There are definitely a lot of people for whom mixing is totally enmeshed in the creation process. So, your suggestion would not work for everybody.
Fair enough. I do not work like that and honestly can't see how that would work out all that well but to each his own.
Mixing and even mastering are both enmeshed in my creative process (writing and tracking). Subscriptions don't work for me because I want to have my tools available at any time and I may not use specific ones for weeks or months. I prefer to purchase perpetual licenses.

https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/sets/tracks

Took a listen to your music and just wanted to say nice work..both compositionally and production-wise.

I learned audio engineering in the pre-computer era from a retired engineer from the CBC who had his own studio (which eventually became mine) so I learned a very specific way of doing things that I still do today. Composition first, then arrangement, tracking, mixing and then finally mastering. So for me, subscriptions make a lot of sense.
Thanks! And, yes... I started with tape, as well, in the late 70s. An analogue signal path definitely suggests a "compartmentalized" workflow, I'll call it. As I've moved to DAW, for myself, I find the flexibility allows me to do everything in parallel, or however I want. This added flexibility allows me to get where I want faster and more effectively. But back in the day, I'd do the same as you and do workflow in batches. The way I work now I prefer to have all my tools available at any time so I can freely pick and choose and try and tweek. Subscriptions would hamper my workflow.

I don't understand making a post about it just because you don't like it. Why not just move on?
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

PA subscriptions are seemingly of no real interest to KVR members:
Nobody mentioned the new SPL sub AFAIK...
https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... nthly.html
By the way: this is a game changer!

a real change gamer
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Another game changer! Awesome! :hihi:

.. man I had to unsubscribe from their shitty mailing list. The spam is completely out of control.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:39 am Another game changer! Awesome! :hihi:

.. man I had to unsubscribe from their shitty mailing list. The spam is completely out of control.
There should be a PA limiter on your mail track :!:

Last edited by Vortifex on Mon May 17, 2021 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:12 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:38 pm They've devalued the second-hand sales market. Surely that's a good thing for them :shrug:
Well, I mean, if I wanted to buy Bx Digital, $15+$20 is still way less than $299 or the $149 on sale price. So I'm not sure it's actually benefiting Plugin Alliance outside of the transfer fee.
Because people are more likely to just not be bothered selling at all, and because eventually the 'well' of those that bought in cheap, and selling off, will dry up leaving much more stable pricing. And given the rrp, the subscription model starts to look like a more tempting proposition :shrug:

Return to “Effects”