Coming Soon: Izotope Ozone 9

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Ozone 11 Advanced

Daimonicon wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:05 pm
Aloysius wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:15 pm I'm so glad I can use my iLok with this collection.
Say Whaaat!!??? :o Now you've made thousands of ilok haters here on kvr mad. :lol:
:lol: :tu:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

adl wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:41 am So I upgraded to Ozone 8 Advanced from a very old Ozone Elements during those sales/promo in august and further upgraded to Music Production Suite 2.1 (again during the sale). I reached out to the support and it turns out, that I am eligible for MPS 3 for free, as I registered MPS 2.1 within the last 2 month. So, if you did buy and register your Ozone or anything else during this promo / sale in august make sure to hit up the support! Got a serial for MPS 3 within 2 days and iLok serials for Nimbus and R4 after asking for those two specific within hours.
Great news. I will hit them up with an email.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Last edited by rbn777 on Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Oh Why, oh why...
”iZotope has gone too far, this time..”

I’m curious but I don’t like their new business model like so many have mentioned. How many of you have made the jump and are satisfied with the product itself? Any real life benefits from the new features? Any thoughts?

rbn777 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:06 am They removed the "Mono" button from the imager? What the f**k? :dog:
No way?

intheboxx wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:31 am I’m curious but I don’t like their new business model like so many have mentioned. How many of you have made the jump and are satisfied with the product itself? Any real life benefits from the new features? Any thoughts?
The main one for me is Tonal Balance 2, combined with the Neutron 3 eq (also works with the Ozone EQ). This is actually a fantastic workflow in a DAW session. I've put the EQs on all the groups, and the Tonal Balance (set to fine mode) gives a heads up to where things might be either lacking or getting out of hand (soling the bands here is good too). Go through the suspect groups and you can then set the eq to cut / boost , visually perfectly lining up with the main meter. This all saves a lot of time, stops flicking between 18 different windows with lots of trial and error etc.

I was sceptical about Tonal Balance at first, but its gently won me over. Shouldn't be the boss of you, but as an extra set of objective virtual ears its handy, doubly so if working to tight turnarounds and just wanting a fairly reliable mix without endless tweaks and listening in diferent environments etc. It was good before, but with the workflow above even better. I was lucky enough to get that stupid $99 deal on the bundle, and its worth it for this feature alone.

Most of the rest is unessential. Music rebalance has its place in Audio Post (working with blending a commerical track into a mix against dialogue, say) and for remixers in particular, but makes zero sense on mastering your own stuff. Ditto the low end thing. Match EQ I find far quicker in RX for my Post work, but is quite nice in a mastering context actually.

As whole Ozone has become somthing of a strange beast, not really centered around mastering any more imo. Its a grab bag of tools for use in all kinds of different scenarios. Many will be not very useful to you, some hopefully will. I dont mind the business model at all for what it worth - I can usually get a good deal by either shopping around or waiting a few months. So even if I dont use much of it, the stuff I like I really do like. Looking at my current Post session I'm skivving from, every open window is iZotope - wouldn't be in a music session but I think here too the proportion is growing. For every pointless gimmicky dud like the visual mixer, there's something like Tonal Balance which is actually really helpful.

(RX remains - by some way - the jewel in the crown for iZotope).
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

The main one for me is Tonal Balance 2, combined with the Neutron 3 eq (also works with the Ozone EQ). This is actually a fantastic workflow in a DAW session. I've put the EQs on all the groups, and the Tonal Balance (set to fine mode) gives a heads up to where things might be either lacking or getting out of hand (soling the bands here is good too). Go through the suspect groups and you can then set the eq to cut / boost , visually perfectly lining up with the main meter. This all saves a lot of time, stops flicking between 18 different windows with lots of trial and error etc.
I already tried to figure out that workflow even before Ozone 8 came out, but a dedicated tool make it much more sensible and successful. Now integrated with Ozone EQ it's just very quick and efficient, definitely the way to go.

Also need to try matching EQ for same purpose. I now do that manually, which is laborous but essential task.
As whole Ozone has become somthing of a strange beast, not really centered around mastering any more imo
Yep. I already tried low-end tool with kick and psybass solo, with great results.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I've been playing with Ozone 9.
Tonal Balance Control - I don't have the benefit of experienced mastering ears on my head, but I'm pretty handy correcting my mix if I have the right pointers. To me this thing can be a game changer. Not only is it pointing my attention to problem spots, but with the window to make eq touchups in the same space it can be a unique solution. I see myself using this a lot even for mixing to get my spectrum sounding right.

Low-End Focus - Not fully sure what's up with this but it has merit. I hate that they talk about making things "simple" so they stupidify the sliders in typical Izotope fashion. The sliders might as well read "15 processes behind this slider. likey? push more, yes?"
They won't quite come clean on what it's doing but from what I can gather by playing with it, I think it is an implementation of their insane Master Rebalance voodoo, coupled with a transient shaper. So they separate the bass from the drums, then put a transient shaper on both, then you mess with slidey slidey until it sounds pretty. Annoying but it's also magical and very powerful if you get the hang of it.

Master Rebalance - This thing is not right. Nobody should have this power. It's a simplified version of the tool from RX7, spot on for vocals and and can also do a half-decent job with drums and bass. So you can touch up a few db on these 3 components which in practice means you can rebalance the gain of a song in many cases. Like if the guitars were too quiet you can just pull back vocals + drums + bass and essentially make the guitars louder. This is just too easy. I cannot imagine mastering engineers wanting to do without this one or RX7.

BTW, yeah on the CPU being better, the windows loading faster, resizable is nice. With Ozone 8 I didn't consider using the individual modules across the mix because of the high CPU. With Ozone 9 things have been optimized enough that I could. However, I just don't get along with the modules. The eqs, the comps, not even in the ballpark of competing with my favorite tools on their own. But matched with Tonal Balance Control it's another story.

intheboxx wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:31 am I’m curious but I don’t like their new business model like so many have mentioned. How many of you have made the jump and are satisfied with the product itself? Any real life benefits from the new features? Any thoughts?
I went the other way: worked with iZotope 5,6,7 (+Neutron) and then abandoned it. I prefer to work with discrete analogue modelled tools or digital tools with more control such as those from DMG. I don't miss iZotope. Just as a check, I brought up 8 and it confirmed that its just not for me. It's nice to see them enhancing it and addressing needs of those that like using iZotope - some pretty cool stuff in 9! Not for me though... :tu:

intheboxx wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:31 am
rbn777 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:06 am They removed the "Mono" button from the imager? What the f**k? :dog:
No way?
I've just looked back at the Imager module going right back to Ozone 5 and unless I'm looking at the wrong thing it's always had sliders to control the stereo width, with the mono and channel swapping buttons being on the main GUI controls on the far right of the window.

Last edited by rbn777 on Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Does anyone here who has Insight 2 also have Ozone 9 Advanced? I'm finding that I can no longer re-size Insight 2's window when running Ozone 9 Advanced in standalone mode.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

rbn777 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:45 pm I've just gone over the manual and it seems it really is gone, they're just stating...
STEREOIZE EFFECT IS MONO COMPATIBLE

The Stereoize effect is completely mono compatible. Even if you add width to audio, it can still be played back in mono without producing unpleasant artifacts.
:clap:
I mean, what the f**k...
Do you have a screenshot of the button you mean from a previous version of Ozone ?
EnochLight wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:21 pm Does anyone here who has Insight 2 also have Ozone 9 Advanced? I'm finding that I can no longer re-size Insight 2's window when running Ozone 9 Advanced in standalone mode.
Just ran Ozone 9 Adv in standalone mode and booted up a copy of Reaper running an instance of Insight 2 (tried both VST2 & VST3 versions) and all is still resizable here.

Return to “Effects”