Best delay ATM? EchoBoy or Valhalla Delay?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Russell Grand wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:57 am
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:57 am
Russell Grand wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:29 am Soundtoy's GUIs are fine. Yes, even the older ones. I don't get what the people that despise the old GUIs are seeing. :shrug:
The super black knobs that are almost invisible against the super black background, with small white text and thin knob position indicators along with red LEDs... just adds up to a terrible combo when it comes to legibility. Echoboy Jr. is much easier to use than the original, and the newer plugins are fine IMO. But stuff like the OG Echoboy, the phaser, etc definitely aren’t great GUIs.
I agree that Echoboy Jr. has a better GUI. Definitely. I also agree that the old GUIs have their issues and they could use a few touch-ups to be sure; that's understandable, they're how old now? However, they're not nearly as bad as what some folks say and I like them, especially in a nostalgic sort of way.

I've seen some rancid GUIs that either get praise or noone comments about their appearance one way or the other. Yet Soundtoys' stuff gets called out regularly and has for a long time and they really aren't that bad. It's baffling really.
Personally, I found the old ones ok to work with, despite not particularly pretty. I can see why they get called out, though.

atm i by far prefer ColourCopy by u-he

I'm surprised Echobode and Permut8 are not mentioned more often.

fceramic wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:09 pm I'm surprised Echobode and Permut8 are not mentioned more often.
Permut8 is a beautiful plugin. Would love it as a hardware unit :love:

Permut8 stands alone in its weird little space... I forget to mention it because I almost don't think of it as a delay. :)

I found I had to demo Replika XT, and it really is miles beyond Replika. With the update so cheap right now I had to go for it. I find the ducking pretty twitchy to dial in, and wish for a dirtier and less filtered BBD (as I almost always do) but I think it's going to have a place among my favorites.

foosnark wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:53 pm I found I had to demo Replika XT, and it really is miles beyond Replika. With the update so cheap right now I had to go for it. I find the ducking pretty twitchy to dial in, and wish for a dirtier and less filtered BBD (as I almost always do) but I think it's going to have a place among my favorites.
Have you tried all four BBD types? Grunge sounds pretty dirty to me.

Yes I have. It doesn't compare to a Doepfer BBD which has no filter at all, but neither does any other BBD emulation I've tried. So far I think I like the "warm" setting for it, but it's going to depend on the content and the mix I'm sure.

foosnark wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:17 pm Yes I have. It doesn't compare to a Doepfer BBD which has no filter at all, but neither does any other BBD emulation I've tried.
https://www.softube.com/bbd#/

Not sure if its host Modular can be used as an FX plugin.

chk071 wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:52 am Could you specify issues with timing? I don't have any timing issues here...
Here you go a sample, easier to hear then to explain. Settings on both:

PingPong (Dual): 1x4 with 1x8. As you can hear in both timings at the end of the synth are just different. And from all the plays with various pingpong/dual delays only Replika has this kind of strange behaviour. I tried setting Replika differently in the settings, timing just doesnt sound like others at the same settings.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/85a3e5h3a0f7 ... mlCXa?dl=0
Last edited by Elektronisch on Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foosnark wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:53 pm Permut8 stands alone in its weird little space... I forget to mention it because I almost don't think of it as a delay. :)

I found I had to demo Replika XT, and it really is miles beyond Replika. With the update so cheap right now I had to go for it. I find the ducking pretty twitchy to dial in, and wish for a dirtier and less filtered BBD (as I almost always do) but I think it's going to have a place among my favorites.
A lot of fun to be had riding the in-line peak filter :)

Elektronisch wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:34 pm
chk071 wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:52 am Could you specify issues with timing? I don't have any timing issues here...

PingPong (Dual): 1x4 with 1x8. As you can hear in both timings at the end of the synth are just different. And from all the plays with various pingpong/dual delays only Replika has this kind of strange behaviour. I tried setting Replika differently in the settings, timing just doesnt sound like others at the same settings.

Weird indeed. Almost sounds like one of the channels has less feedback than the other. Gotta try that out.

BTW, if you feel like Replika has a issue, please report it to NI. That's the only way they will get wind of that.

chk071 wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:39 pm

Weird indeed. Almost sounds like one of the channels has less feedback than the other. Gotta try that out.

BTW, if you feel like Replika has a issue, please report it to NI. That's the only way they will get wind of that.
i did, no replika back

Need more feedback. :D

Elektronisch wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:43 pm

i did, no replika back
When dealing with NI support, customers will sometimes experience Late Replies ;)

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:48 pm
Elektronisch wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:43 pm

i did, no replika back
When dealing with NI support, customers will sometimes experience Late Replies ;)
Oh that's wHY the delay... :wink:

Return to “Effects”