Why is iLok license manager so SH!T ???

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

do_androids_dream wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:40 am
fortycoats wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 3:10 pm Software ilok is very useful, huge timesaver when setting up a new machine or working at a different location.

No searching old emails for serials, asking for activations or installing loads of portal/manger apps.

Never had issues here.
My timesaver is even better.. I don't use a single plugin that uses an installer as well as no copy protection - apart from 2 plugins (out of around 100) that have key files. I can just drag and drop my plugin folder, point the DAW to it and hey presto. Took me a while to find all the right plugins to build this (dream) way of working but I managed it.
Man, I'm jealous, I'd love for my VST folder to be like that. Simple and clean.

do_androids_dream wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:40 am

My timesaver is even better.. I don't use a single plugin that uses an installer as well as no copy protection - apart from 2 plugins (out of around 100) that have key files. I can just drag and drop my plugin folder, point the DAW to it and hey presto. Took me a while to find all the right plugins to build this (dream) way of working but I managed it.
Perhaps you can share your plugin combo, which works like that, and does the job.

I can’t imagine getting rid of all those great plugins, which have copy protection/installer.

Maybe some lean traveller lap top could be dedicated working like that, in addtion my studio desktop and power lap top.

do_androids_dream wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:40 amMy timesaver is even better.. I don't use a single plugin that uses an installer as well as no copy protection - apart from 2 plugins (out of around 100) that have key files. I can just drag and drop my plugin folder, point the DAW to it and hey presto. Took me a while to find all the right plugins to build this (dream) way of working but I managed it.
I think that would work for most of us, wouldn't it? When I change machines the only thing I usually have to reinstall are my Kuassa effects and maybe one or two Soundspot things that I probably won't install again. Everything else seems to work OK, from memory. Wrangling content for things like Kontakt is another issue, of course.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

What is annoying me more now, isn't the software, but the attitude of the iLok support person i'm speaking with.

They can see I have 2 accounts, and they both link to the same PC ID , and instead of making life easier and solving the issue, they have said the issue is closed. Unless I pay $50 to move 3 licenses which I own, to make life easier by having all my licenses in the one place.

Well at least the plugins are working, but it does seem they are, indirectly, saying they suspect I don't own some of the licenses. Otherwise surely it's my business to transfer licenses from one account to another, why would I pay for that, the license ownership isn't changing.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

BONES wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:08 am
AnX wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:11 am... nobody suffers from me having a lock on my door
If it locks from the outside, I imagine it would make the neighbours quite happy.
bitch! :hihi:

Russell Grand wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:11 am
Wow, that post gives me migraine. :o
kinda lika pace gives me one every time i open it.

To be honest i didn't even change the system - i have an external drive and i just licensed soothe from a different computer, and now the license can't be deactivated without having access (presumably with the same system and logged in to ilok) to that computer which i don't have access too.
And the 5minute pace manager load time for 6 licenses i have on iLok? Lol.

i have gen2 if that helps.

AnX wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:41 am
glokraw wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:02 am At some level, you did pay the locksmiths, carpenters, and door-hangers,
and you'll pay them again if there's a break-in. (Hopefully, no break-ins)
Cheers
im a carpenter, do it all myself.... but that's irrelevant, i still don't charge ppl to come into my house
Maybe you don't charge money, but in my house, and probably yours,
people must pass some sensible level of security screening before being admitted.
Copy protections handle that for developers, who's cutomers then benefit
by said developers perfecting their craft over many years, without being
pirated out of the business. Your carpentry skill and hours are not 'free',
you invested time to gain the skills, and spend time time to use them.
...time is money.

glokraw wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:23 pm
people must pass some sensible level of security screening before being admitted.
Copy protections handle that for developers, who's cutomers then benefit
by said developers perfecting their craft over many years, without being
pirated out of the business. Your carpentry skill and hours are not 'free',
you invested time to gain the skills, and spend time time to use them.
...time is money.
except iLok is more like USA airport security screening for entering your own house

glokraw wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:23 pm
:lol:

whatever it costs me, i dont pass that expense onto my mum when she comes to visit....

I lok you out.
Stuck in Aperture Laboratories for a 2nd time!

I guess since it's always only the same people expressing their frustration in every copy protection thread, ilok can't be that bad. But well, it's always the minority too that had bad experiences but that cries the loudest. :shrug:

DocSnyder wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:22 pm I guess since it's always only the same people expressing their frustration in every copy protection thread, ilok can't be that bad. But well, it's always the minority too that had bad experiences but that cries the loudest. :shrug:
people who have good experience usually don't go on forums and proclaim their satisfaction i guess.

But the fact that a lot of well-respected software vendors either offer alternatives to iLok or don't use it, i guess it's not that universally good either

Are you on a mission ?
Maybe not enough useful work to do....

rasmusklump wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:34 pm Are you on a mission ?
Maybe not enough useful work to do....
i'm bouncing stems, takes a while

Look it's really simple....those who have been suckered into paying extra for a Dongle to protect someone else's intellectual property even though their own intellectual property (music) created with that software can't also be so protected will always defend Dongles.

Those who have seen thorough that scam and refuse to buy a Dongle will always attack them.

Very rarely does anyone ever change camps. And the wheels on the bus go round and round.... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Effects”