Why is iLok license manager so SH!T ???

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Teksonik wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:30 pm
But I guess there will always be developers whose hatred for Pirates exceeds their love for Paying Customers. :shrug:
There are uncracked or poorly cracked noninvase copy protections... FabFilter and u-he I think both have garbage time-bomb cracks, so its doable

In my country you are innocent until proven guilty, in Ilok's world, it seems you are a pirate until proven/paying otherwise.
But thanks to Ilok, i don't have gas, i must make the best of what i own, and its an incentive to support or donate to devs who don't treat their customers like criminals .

pretty simple affair not to buy ilok'd.

Ploki wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:36 pm
Teksonik wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:30 pm
But I guess there will always be developers whose hatred for Pirates exceeds their love for Paying Customers. :shrug:
There are uncracked or poorly cracked noninvase copy protections... FabFilter and u-he I think both have garbage time-bomb cracks, so its doable
Exactly my point.......... :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

We put locks on our doors to protect our possessions, our lives,
and to keep strangers out. Doesn't mean we don't
love our family and friends.

ilok are protecting what is theirs, doesn't mean they don't
care about customers. Yes, it's an inconvenience, but my
kids have to knock on the door, and wait to be let in...
how inconvenient. But they have some assurance,
that because of the (imperfect) protections,
the house will not have been looted, and the
visit will largely be as expected, human elements aside.

There are many home protection methods, and many
copy protection methods. Different speeds for different needs.
Cheers

ztrauq wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:22 am iLok? Your license is just gone (soft iLok at least, but same with dongle if it blows up), and you can't use your software any more (unless you pay them an annual ransom to back the licenses up or something).
ZDT (your so-called 'annual ransom') is just that - zero downtime insurance - basically if you kill/loose your ilok dongle PACE deposit temporary licenses to get you back up and running whilst you deal with the software vendor to get replacement PERMANENT licenses.

Even if you don't have ZDT then it's still the software vendor you deal with - it's just that some vendors are switched on and realise things happen, and some basically don't trust their own customers and presume you're ripping them off, and don't seem to understand where the PACE's responsibilities end and their's begin

most vendors nowdays seem to give you at least two ilok activations anyway (since people often have a studio desktop and a laptop and don't necessarily want to move the dongle back and forth all the time) - but if you don't have two systems that 2nd activation is a handy backup

I like things like iLok because it makes looking after all your licenses easier than doing it yourself. For 20 years I tended to avoid that sort of copy protection out of ignorance but once I started using it, I became a fan pretty quickly. I like Native Access, too, although some other, similar apps for companies I only own one or two products from are less handy and tend towards being annoying.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

jdnz wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:27 amZDT (your so-called 'annual ransom') is just that - zero downtime insurance - basically if you kill/loose your ilok dongle PACE deposit temporary licenses to get you back up and running whilst you deal with the software vendor to get replacement PERMANENT licenses.
That's IF you don't enable TLC. With TLC enabled AFAIK you get permanent licenses and don't have to contact anyone. The single disadvantage being you have to connect it online every 90 days. So, if you go the ZDT route, then enable TLC! (It's not an account wide setting either - It's specific to an individual dongle)

IMO it should be free by default. Though, if more companies move to cloud licenses on iLok, then ultimately it might not matter (though there's then the need for internet connectivity)
some vendors are switched on and realise things happen, and some basically don't trust their own customers and presume you're ripping them off
I think that's what it really comes down to in the end. But I'd say we're also fortunate that most iLok offerings actually have -superior- dongle free alternatives available, so avoiding dongles isn't the hardest task if you're discerning.
most vendors nowdays seem to give you at least two ilok activations anyway
Yes. It's a good trend considering how screwed you are without paying the ZDT TLC tax. Some companies, like UVI, have upped it to three activations.

glokraw wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:52 pm We put locks on our doors to protect our possessions, our lives,
and to keep strangers out. Doesn't mean we don't
love our family and friends.
i dont charge them to come in my house tho, bad analogy.... nobody suffers from me having a lock on my door

At some level, you did pay the locksmiths, carpenters, and door-hangers,
and you'll pay them again if there's a break-in. (Hopefully, no break-ins)
Cheers

glokraw wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:02 am At some level, you did pay the locksmiths, carpenters, and door-hangers,
Cheers
But you didn't pay them to keep you out of your own house

glokraw wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:02 am At some level, you did pay the locksmiths, carpenters, and door-hangers,
Cheers
im a carpenter, do it all myself.... but that's irrelevant, i still don't charge ppl to come into my house

AnX wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:41 am
Cheers
im a carpenter, do it all myself.... but that's irrelevant, i still don't charge ppl to come into my house
Are you a blacksmith as well or does your door have a wooden lock?

JJ_Jettflow wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:28 am
AnX wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:41 am
Cheers
Are you a blacksmith as well or does your door have a wooden lock?
bought the door and lock, fitted them myself

it's still irrelevant

AnX wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:46 am

bought the door and lock, fitted them myself

it's still irrelevant
imagine having to buy a new house when the lock breaks == iLok

Return to “Effects”