Waves Ovox - what do you think of it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

simon.a.billington wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:56 am
VocalSynth is not bad at all in my mind. This looks to me a bit more flexible/innovative. They both seem to have their own sound, so there’s no reason why we couldn’t own the two anyway.
i prefer not to own anything waves branded, but will give this a spin when i have some spare time.
literally the first waves plugin i'm tempted to buy, since i'm a sucker for vocal plugs

Ploki wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:02 pm
simon.a.billington wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:56 am
VocalSynth is not bad at all in my mind. This looks to me a bit more flexible/innovative. They both seem to have their own sound, so there’s no reason why we couldn’t own the two anyway.
i prefer not to own anything waves branded, but will give this a spin when i have some spare time.
literally the first waves plugin i'm tempted to buy, since i'm a sucker for vocal plugs
I can understand your position as there is a lot of Waves negativity, some founded, they're not flawless, but much of it stemming from misunderstandings or human error which has led to a HELL OF ALOT of misinformation I don't know where you stand, but don't buy into the misinformation.

Originally I was anti-Waves, quite a while back. Slowly but surely I came around and realise the only reason I was anti-Waves was because I bought into all that misinformation and defamatory statements. I got educated, formed my own opinion, gave them a try never looked back. Of course I had a few dodgy moments along the way, but manage to get them all sorted. The worse bit was falling for the "annual WUP payment" trap. I eventually got on top of that and spend most of my time trying to help others avoid making the same mistake.

Not that I'm trying to sell Ovox to you man, hell it's not my job. Somedays I wish it was so I could get paid for it!! Haha!! But I'm juts as likely to recommend iZotope VocalSynth as well. It really depends on how much you have to spend and "sound" you were looking for.

Give it a trial, form your own opinion, don't let others, including myself get inside your head. :wink:

simon.a.billington wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:30 pm I can understand your position as there is a lot of Waves negativity, some founded, they're not flawless, but much of it stemming from misunderstandings or human error which has led to a HELL OF ALOT of misinformation I don't know where you stand, but don't buy into the misinformation.

Originally I was anti-Waves, quite a while back. Slowly but surely I came around and realise the only reason I was anti-Waves was because I bought into all that misinformation and defamatory statements. I got educated, formed my own opinion, gave them a try never looked back. Of course I had a few dodgy moments along the way, but manage to get them all sorted. The worse bit was falling for the "annual WUP payment" trap. I eventually got on top of that and spend most of my time trying to help others avoid making the same mistake.

Not that I'm trying to sell Ovox to you man, hell it's not my job. Somedays I wish it was so I could get paid for it!! Haha!! But I'm juts as likely to recommend iZotope VocalSynth as well. It really depends on how much you have to spend and "sound" you were looking for.

Give it a trial, form your own opinion, don't let others, including myself get inside your head. :wink:
well, pretty sure this is correct:
- single machine license
- always on sale with obscure unrealistic list prices
- so much vain marketing (the only worst offender is Slate)

I'm still going to give it a spin when i have free time to do so tho, and push it against VocalSynth.
Can also get behind a good vocal processor.

I've recently discovered that Nectar 3 tracking algo / shifting is so-so compared to some alternatives, which was kind of a let down... and it's the same kind of artefacts in Nectar's Harmony engine that i can hear in VocalSynth.
and it prompted me to really give Ovox a spin. Soon

Ploki wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:54 pm well, pretty sure this is correct:
- single machine license
- always on sale with obscure unrealistic list prices
- so much vain marketing (the only worst offender is Slate)

I'm still going to give it a spin when i have free time to do so tho, and push it against VocalSynth.
Can also get behind a good vocal processor.

I've recently discovered that Nectar 3 tracking algo / shifting is so-so compared to some alternatives, which was kind of a let down... and it's the same kind of artefacts in Nectar's Harmony engine that i can hear in VocalSynth.
and it prompted me to really give Ovox a spin. Soon
You can opt to buy for multiple machines, but it will cost more. No idea how much, but at $30 on sale grabbing 2 licenses might be the better way to go.

Their marketing is their marketing, I don't really agree with it myself. Fortunately it doesn't affect the quality of their plugins. I think there's away to get off their email list though, so you could look into that.

I've had some success with the Necrar harmonies in the past, but you could be right. I've yet to update it. At first I wasn't going to as I'm not big in the channel strip style of approach. I like too mix and match plugins preferably. But then, it could be just as easily used for quick demo mixes and I could always use other things when it came to a full mix. So there's that. Plus it will put me on an entry level of Melodyne, which I don't have, but could slowly upgrade it to whenever there is a good sales price. At first I was trying to avoid it, but really, they're the only ones that do polyphony so far.

I have until the end of the sale to decide.

Just found out the sale ends today!

IgnisMalleus wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:09 pm Just found out the sale ends today!
This will be $30 before the end of the year, or I'll eat my shirt -shaped sandwich.

jochicago wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:20 pm
IgnisMalleus wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:09 pm Just found out the sale ends today!
This will be $30 before the end of the year, or I'll eat my shirt -shaped sandwich.
Almost everything eventually goes on sale, you can pretty much say "I'll just wait til Black Friday."

The unmentioned determining factor for some, is having it early and being the first with a new sound.
It's not the quality of audio, it's the quality of production that matters.

burnt circuit wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:58 pm The unmentioned determining factor for some, is having it early and being the first with a new sound.
Very true. Any plugin you intend to put to great use now is worth it early from Waves since most of the stuff gets released at intro prices anyway.

My point is for lots of people that are on the fence and may not plan to get that much use out of plugins. There's typically a honeymoon phase and then after a few weeks a lot of these new plugins end up collecting dust as people go back to their typical workflows. In that case, generally, you might as well buy it at $30, and/or wait to see what the competition does.

How can anyone know if they are going to love a particular plugin or just use it a bit and not get on with it? If something seems really exciting you can always demo it. Waves allows a 7-day trial.

jochicago wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:45 pm
burnt circuit wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:58 pm The unmentioned determining factor for some, is having it early and being the first with a new sound.
Very true. Any plugin you intend to put to great use now is worth it early from Waves since most of the stuff gets released at intro prices anyway.
i mean. There's gonna be a "sleep over till valentines" sale, then valentines sale, then spring sale, then may sale (because may is cool), then summer sale, then 4th of july sale...

i'll eat my foot if i see waves ovox go for 149$ for a single day... ever
oh you mean today two days ago?
looks like it didnt

oh lol its already valentine's sale, but its only 12th :D

edit: lol there's also additional LOVE30 sale.

Ploki wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:52 pm
jochicago wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:45 pm
i mean. There's gonna be a "sleep over till valentines" sale, then valentines sale, then spring sale, then may sale (because may is cool), then summer sale, then 4th of july sale...

i'll eat my foot if i see waves ovox go for 149$ for a single day... ever
oh you mean today two days ago?
looks like it didnt

oh lol its already valentine's sale, but its only 12th :D

edit: lol there's also additional LOVE30 sale.
At least they aren't wasting money, spending it on a perpetual subscription rental fee.

Just like everything new becomes old, so does the price that reflects this.

Unless of course, it's timeless rental software that holds it's initial perceived value for ever.

burnt circuit wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:12 pm
At least they aren't wasting money, spending it on a perpetual subscription rental fee.

Just like everything new becomes old, so does the price that reflects this.

Unless of course, it's timeless rental software that holds it's initial perceived value for ever.
whataboutism, and yes, avid is much worse in that regard.
however the upgrade pricing reflects "list" prices, not actual always-on-sale price, and it's really hard to determine any meaningful market value from this.
It's just shitty. iZotope started doing this as well. Feels cheap af.

i still haven't tested it tho, i will soonish.

As a reply to the original poster ... Ovox is a game changer with its capabilities, input sources, 2 modulators with LFO and step sequencers ... very low CPU blueprint which can be used live, its real strength is for sound engineers using any existing instrument, including vocals as a modulation source to create new sounds/instruments.
It is basically a live sampler/synthesizer which can twist, turn, dismantle and reassemble the incoming audio signal with groove and rhythm from the original source.
I don't like using presets like many but the sheer number of presets included will help you get your sound into the ballpark you are after. Also a lot of free presets are available which helps you figure out what each knob/button does.
It is a very inspiring plugin and I have been using it in just about every session since I bought it, great for vocals even better with using instruments (drums/guitar/synth/piano) as the input source to create unique beats that fit perfectly in the mix.

I think it offers some great sound design potential, not just for voice, but you can process a lot of other things with it. I think, in some way, it might fair a bit better at it than VocalSynth. I mean, VocalSynth is no slouch, but it looks like it was designed with creative vocal effects in mind. Ovox, seems to have been designed to be used across a lot of sources.

That’s just my take on it, though. I’ve really got to sit down with both of them and run them through the gauntlet before I can say anything definitive.

https://youtu.be/6ta6Y1C-4-0

Download free OVox presets made by Grammy-winning producers Malay (Frank Ocean), Focus… (Anderson .Paak), Lu Diaz (DJ Khaled) and more. These presets were not included in the original OVox plugin release.
https://www.waves.com/ovox-producer-pac ... my-winners

https://youtu.be/3sdXwGosUMc
Free OVox Producer Pack II

Download 72 new presets not included in the original OVox release, by producers, mixers & musicians for Bon Iver, Rihanna, Beyoncé, Madonna, Weezer, Wiz Khalifa, J. Cole, Snoop Dogg and many more!
https://www.waves.com/ovox-producer-pac ... ee-presets

Return to “Effects”