Spectral Shifting Plugin: FRQ Shift by Tonsturm

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Saw this, this morning. Sounds pristine and very slick. The modulation system assignment with custom lfo’s look great too for deep manipulations.

On the down sides, quite expensive for a one-trick pony effect! (And yes iLok haters this one uses it as copy protection).

Anyway guys, thought some of you might find this interesting. Here:

https://tonsturm.com/software/frqshift/ ... 5639bcf563

I find Tonsturm products expensive but going to try out the demo this week

Yes, top quality products no doubt. But petty expensive as well.

Let us know what you think of FRQ Shift if you try it! :tu: ...I won't have the chance to give it a spin for some time because of my schedule and location, so I'm curious to see what people here think about it.

I got the email for this. No idea where they got my address from. I’ve never heard of Tornsturm before.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

I wonder how it compares to Unfiltered Audio's Fault.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Dirtgrain wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:39 pm I wonder how it compares to Unfiltered Audio's Fault.
Good question that might worth testing & comparing indeed... Or the all mighty Wormhole by Zynaptiq, by absolute go-to for heavy top quality frequency shifting.

Tried trial today, well, frankly to say not impressed. No, there is feeling that the coding quality is really high, here without quiestions. But, so to speak - idea itself (and result)...Some predisposition to spatial (chorus like) tasks directions. Or just "not my cup of tea". (I mean, for some radical transformation - such an assembly does seem not too successful.)
Besides that, there is feeling that near all the same can get thru Kiloheartz Snap Heap + couple snap-ins (such as Pitch and Frequency Shifter, Delay, Resonator etc), and it will costs much a less. (But i may wrong - frankly, just theory).
In any case, it seems to me that, as for the work done - the price is justified. As for the result (and given what is on the market today) - no (not exactly).

how about again uhbik's freqshifter?
most freqshifters i tried always left me kinda meh tho, never heard one i really liked.
perhaps i dont like them conceptually.

Hi there,
I would be very interested in the results of your comparisons, I've spent quite some time to tweak the low frequency response of the hilbert transform as well as the anti-aliasing option.
@c_voltage: I doubt you can rebuild all the complex feedback control using Snap Heap but I'm eager to see ;)
Gustav Scholda
Audio Programming & Sound Design
https://gs-dsp.com

Ploki wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:41 pm most freqshifters i tried always left me kinda meh tho, never heard one i really liked.
perhaps i dont like them conceptually.
They're very easy to overcook with settings that just aren't useful for anything unless you like making horror-movie monster noises. Used subtly, they can be tremendously effective, particularly on percussion for moving it in or out of a frequency range without destroying its impact the way pitch shifting does.

gustav-scholda wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:40 am @c_voltage: I doubt you can rebuild all the complex feedback control using Snap Heap but I'm eager to see ;)
Hmm, ok, got it.
Now did check a better exactly this (feedback) side, especially how it works with different level of Stabilize slider, and during on\off Aliasing button. Well.. need admit that really can get some quest from this.
But again, not for 89$ (nor 129). Honestly, for 50 bucks i would grab it right now (exactly due to anticipation of good trip inside occasional feedback textures).

Gamma-UT wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:39 am
They're very easy to overcook with settings that just aren't useful for anything unless you like making horror-movie monster noises. Used subtly, they can be tremendously effective, particularly on percussion for moving it in or out of a frequency range without destroying its impact the way pitch shifting does.
thanks for the tip i'll try it out.
I just discovered phasers, used without modulation. And i found they can be so fun to color stuff with a tad of feedback and smearing/repositioning transients, i avoided them till now because I really don't care much for how they sound modulated.

how theydefine "frequency shifting" in the video, seems a bit strange to me.
"Frequency shifting is the process of shifting all component freqeuncies in sound by an equal amount."

perhaps it is a right definition, but i thought frequency shifting, does change the harmonics, unlike a pitch shifter. o well perhaps that is why above definition, is correct.

as always, when you go in depth (a phaser is a chorus is a delay is a reverb, not quite true, but sometimes... their basics of course), the differences seem small, but the results...

i am no expert, just learning more about spectrum (harmonics, formants, etc. etc. etc. etc.) just wondering.

it is a plugin that catches my attention, but i have UA fault (and byome/triad) and some meldaproduction plugins (and some play around within this "domain" of spectal shifting..).
and it seems to me, yes you can modulate, mmmh, i have to demo, to judge it, and the judgment is always subjective. so no criticism. just wondering. and wandering...

A frequency shifter adds a constant value to all frequencies passing through. A pitch shifter multiples them by that value. So, harmonic intervals will stop being harmonic intervals when processed through a frequency shifter – this is why they often make things sound metallic. There are so many vibrational modes in a metal plate that very few have the simple harmonic relationships you get from standing waves in a pipe or stringed instrument.

WasteLand wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:52 pm how theydefine "frequency shifting" in the video, seems a bit strange to me.
"Frequency shifting is the process of shifting all component freqeuncies in sound by an equal amount."

perhaps it is a right definition, but i thought frequency shifting, does change the harmonics, unlike a pitch shifter. o well perhaps that is why above definition, is correct.

as always, when you go in depth (a phaser is a chorus is a delay is a reverb, not quite true, but sometimes... their basics of course), the differences seem small, but the results...

i am no expert, just learning more about spectrum (harmonics, formants, etc. etc. etc. etc.) just wondering.

it is a plugin that catches my attention, but i have UA fault (and byome/triad) and some meldaproduction plugins (and some play around within this "domain" of spectal shifting..).
and it seems to me, yes you can modulate, mmmh, i have to demo, to judge it, and the judgment is always subjective. so no criticism. just wondering. and wandering...
Phaser is not a chorus is not a delay and is not a reverb.
Phaser employs an allpass filter, chorus employs a delay line. Very different at its core.

Reverbs are... sometimes a combination of both, (delay lines and allpass filters), and sometimes they're neither. :D

Frequency shifting shifts all components by EQUAL AMOUNT linearly, meaning the relationships between frequencies are the same (and become inharmonic. i.e. 25, 50 100 may become 125, 150, 200.
With a pitch shifted, same components become 125, 250, 500.

Return to “Effects”