Which SSL 4000 emulation plugin is CPU friendly yet good sounding?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Don't rule out sonimus satson cs , which has a G-buss compressor and an ssl eq
It sounds fabulous
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Passing Bye wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:42 am What's so special about SSL channel strip anyways?
it helps to catch certain sounds in rock and pop music history, while some aspects are still popular today.
eventually, the programmers could manage some decent emulation, that includes the workflow and way of thinking by the old legendary mixing engineers.
it is in the way the knobs react, and can be cranked up, and how fast you find the sweet spot. especially, the interaction between EQ, saturation/overload and compressor.
the analog circuitry was built with massive testing and input by great engineers.
generic digital plugins might come somewhat close, __IF__ you ever find the right spot in the gazillion of combinations of the many parameters. they weren't built to have certain typical sounds in focus.
at least that's what I seem to find out while using some of these.

it's not just nostalgy, young people re-engineer these sounds and do their own thing with it.

HansP wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 6:34 pm it helps to catch certain sounds in rock and pop music history, while some aspects are still popular today.
it's not just nostalgy, young people re-engineer these sounds and do their own thing with it.
Which certain sounds, can you expand on that, show some examples?

bx_console + townhouse.
You are currently reading my signature.

I like the PA 4000E

They all sound good, Waves is CPU-friendly (and the first I believe). Keep in mind that anyone making these with the actual SSL name in the product is a licensee. So SSL has an interest in all of them sounding good.

There's of course the two T-Racks ones and then there's Reason (all versions), which can easily be turned into a SSL channel strip (plus you get an SSL bus comp too).

Edit: oh, I think both Reason and the IKMM White one emulate the 9000 rather than the 4000 - my bad.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Just to muddy the waters a bit more, don't forget the Solid Mix Series from NI.
Image Image Image Image

Softube Console 1
Gigabyte GA-X99P-SLI / Intel Corei7 6800k / 32 Go DDR4 / 3x SSD / Win 11 Pro x64 / UAD Apollo Twin USB / UAD2 Satellite Octo USB / UAD2 Octo PCIe / Cubase Pro 13 / VEP7 / 24 ch X-Touch / Console 1 /Metagrid Pro / Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2 / Roli Seabord

Another vote for the PA 4000E, but I haven’t tried all of them - just the Waves and Sonimus. Here’s a nice skin for the PA 4000E I recently stumbled across on the Plugmon site. I prefer it to the original. Pretty easy to install and working fine for me so far.
https://plugmon.jp/sslightly-for-bx_console-ssl4000e/

For sound, CLA Mixhub but my CPU can't handle it.
Last edited by jochicago on Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sonimus

Mr. Spock wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 6:44 am Sonimus
Which #sonimus exactly? :phones:
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

No one has mentioned MH channelstrip yet. Have used it alot and is on sale cheap occasionally.

Return to “Effects”