The Delay debate

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

thecontrolcentre wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:16 am Image

https://www.unfilteredaudio.com/products/sandman-pro

Comes with Instant Delay for free.
Might be a good plugin, but, man, that's some butt ugly GUI...

Why do developers release their plugins in such a state?

probably because of similar reasons others are using photo realistic GUIs, but on the other side of the spectrum.
the aforementioned want to imply that you're using an iconic instrument/effect worth several hundreds, if not thousands of dollars.
others want to evoke feelings of an anarchistic i don't give a f**k mentality, or that they are experimental on their own.

To be honest, Unfiltered Audio GUIs never really bothered me, but now that you mention it, they are indeed not the most beautifully looking ;)

What can definitely be said though, that in this example, everything is very well laid and crystal clear what is happening, what' not always the case with GUIs that desperately want to look like a one or 2HU digital rack unit from the 90's with similar complexity.
But of course there's also plenty of perfectly usable delays with a “high end GUI“

And most importantly, Sandman can easily be the swiss army knife for some, especially if you want to visit crazy land more frequently.
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

I find it a very usable plugin though, everything just there, very unambiguous etc.

I think they admitted the guis weren't a priority on the earlier plugs, Brought in a designer for byome, lion etc. Would be great if they could retro fit this style to the older plugs.

Does anybody remember this guy?
It's SynthEdit and the developer is long gone by now so 32bit only. What I loved about it was the "tone" knob which was some sort of band-pass filter, was super fun to play with on noisy endless feedback loops. I've noticed most delays will have high- and low-pass filters but not many do anything like this. And that makes me sad.

FapFilter wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 9:09 am To be honest, Unfiltered Audio GUIs never really bothered me, but now that you mention it, they are indeed not the most beautifully looking ;)
It's not just ugly, it's all over the place. Horrible.

Creating usable and good looking GUI's is a art itself, but, that's something I wouldn't offer paying customers. At least if I want them to pay me. It's not about giving a f*** when your business has to bring food to the table.

it always depends on one person's preferences though.
I don't mind their GUIs at all, but as i noticed in another thread, Crave EQ is looking horrible for me.
Haven't seen that many complaints about that issue though, so it's probably just me.
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

LeVzi wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 4:50 amIs there a swiss army knife of delays, that does all different types (Tape, analog, digital etc) ?
Nope. Same as swiss army knives not actually replacing every kind of knife out there.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

chk071 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 1:54 pm
FapFilter wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 9:09 am To be honest, Unfiltered Audio GUIs never really bothered me, but now that you mention it, they are indeed not the most beautifully looking ;)
It's not just ugly, it's all over the place. Horrible.
Well, it might be ugly (I'd call it functional), but it's very well laid-out, and it's fast and easy to work with. And its capabilities more than make up for its looks.

Hey, it's so good, Thelonious even wrote a song about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In16H9J72HY

Maybe it's better when you actually use it. Wouldn't be the first time a GUI looks horrible to me on screenshot, and isn't that bad in actual use. :)

I think Sandman had different colors than Modnetic and Hy Delay has a bit in between. Valhalla Delay has less color than ReplikaXT to me. They have different sidecar effects but somewhat similar. Cocoa Delay is its own thing as well. Used them all including Audio Thing. I think Fabfilter was very clean. So to answer I could never pick just one

ValhallaDelay is the go to for me. Doesn't have every feature under the sun, but great sound and character.

I love these unfiltered audio GUIs, functional and easy to use, well...I even think it's beautiful and I'm really enjoying using the GUI. I like the fonts, colours, clarity the minimalism approach (the tool-tips are also awesome) and the delay itself is awesome as well, providing a huge palette of sounds from the gentle and simple to wildly experimental sounds, the freeze implementation by itself here is simply genius.

whyterabbyt wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 2:06 pm
LeVzi wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 4:50 amIs there a swiss army knife of delays, that does all different types (Tape, analog, digital etc) ?
Nope. Same as swiss army knives not actually replacing every kind of knife out there.
Yes , valhalla delay

Tape: Modeled after vintage tape echoes, with all the features and quirks that were loved in the old hardware.
HiFi: A higher fidelity tape echo, where the ability to precisely sculpt the sound is in your hands. .
BBD: A dark, low fidelity bucket brigade delay model.
Digital: A cleaner, higher bandwidth delay, with the ability to dial in digital dirt.
Ghost: A Valhalla DSP original! Combines the tape model from the HiFi mode with frequency shifting and a unique diffusion algorithm, for sounds that will split your skull in two.
Pitch: A digital delay with added pitch shifting. Perfect for micro-shifting vocals, adding harmonies to synths, creating vast shimmering soundscapes, or shrieking sounds that forever spiral upwards or downwards.
RevPitch: Reverse pitch shifting! Everything that goes in, comes out reversed.
BBDuck (new in 1.5.2): A brighter BBD model, with brightness that tracks the delay time (shorter delays are brighter, while longer delays are darker), and ducking.
Clarity (new in 1.5.2): A clean “digital” delay, with a program dependent limiter, so you can SLAM the drive gain without getting distortion. Deep and wild modulation waveforms, selected by the Era control. Ducking!
DuckTape (new in 1.5.2): A tape delay with built-in companding noise reduction and ducking.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

You explained it all but it's not quite everything still. Nothing wrong with Valhalla but Modnetic might still be my favorite. Opinion only.

With the current sale, definitely a bargain!

Return to “Effects”