TDR version of the Molot compressor is out - Molotok (free) and Molot GE

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Good thing about TDR is that I don't need to make a thread like "How good are TDR plugins" because most people like them! :lol:

:hihi:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Was beta testing. Is good. :)

friend tipped me on this. very analogue like response, in a good way.
dont know if i will be able to control my urges, great little bugger

imrae wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:18 pm Very exciting! Will be upgrading my bundle.

Has anyone compared the phase-rotate feature on this with the Hilbert-detector of the Black Rooster KH-Comp1?
I hope the TDR people will correct me if I'm wrong, but AS FAR AS I KNOW:

They aren't exactly the same thing. I believe the phase-rotation here is a more simple, all-pass based phase rotation, which was an old trick for certain kinds of radio pre-broadcast compressors? I could be wrong though.

I know kotelnikov does specifically use a hilbert transform function for its 'rms compression' function. Maybe it'd be a better point of comparison?

Very, very flexible. Sounds great, can deeeeeeeeeply compress without any horrible clicking sounds. Already purchased.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

Any sound differences between this and the old Molot?

It's probably just me, but i think the GUI actually looks much worse than before esthetics wise. And i don't have any nostalgic feelings regarding the OG look as i never actually used that comp before. Always have been curious though never tried for some reason.
Will try later anyway though as i don't have anything against ugly looking plugins. I find it just kinda fascinating as i usually think most plugins look better with each new iteration.

Have to say that i generally don't like the “TDR look“ that much and Volot GE definetly has “that TDR look“.
Take all that with a of salt though as i'm one of those weirdos who thinks Voxengo plugins look great (even some of the old ones like the first Marquis Compressor). And i also use ReaComp with no qualms regarding it's looks.
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

FapFilter wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:35 am
Have to say that i generally don't like the “TDR look“ that much and Volot GE definetly has “that TDR look“.
Take all that with a of salt though as i'm one of those weirdos who thinks Voxengo plugins look great (even some of the old ones like the first Marquis Compressor). And i also use ReaComp with no qualms regarding it's looks.
Well, you are definitely a weirdo :wink:
Have you tried Melda? Must be right up your alley! With luck, you'll find some of the old version wich really looked shite :D

Whatever one thinks of the design, it is very professionally done and the usability is just top notch. Logical Layout, everything is readable, resizable, configurable mouse behaviour, continuous and stepped input, selectable latency/upsampling, configurable range of the meters. Not many plugins where you find all that in one package.
Edit: The manuals are also really good

The "problem" for me is just that the free variants are pretty much all I need, I rarely have the urge to buy the GE versions (except Slick EQ) which mostly add features that are too complicated me... I prefer plugins with a limited parameter set that are simple and fast to use. The Molot GE kinda scares me :oops:

Have you tried Melda? Must be right up your alley! With luck, you'll find some of the old version wich really looked shite
I actually own (and use) a few Melda plugins. They've come a long way. I don't think they're great looking, but nothing that „hurts my eyes“ either anymore.

Usability wise those are definetely on the „weirdo / i don't give a f**k about great user interfaces“ though and i wasn't knocking TDR in these regards.
I'm actually not knocking TDR for their „trademark looks“ either. It s just a personal thing regarding their visuals. And “mediocre looking ones“ (subjectively of course) have never stopped me from using a plugin over something that “looks phenomenal, but sounds inferior“ (to my ears)

I wouldn't even have noticed if there wasn't a predecessor, which (to my eyes at least) looks much better to the eye on a quick glimpse.
And i'm certainly not someone who needs photo realistic looking GUIs to find them pretty (i actually prefer vector based stuff like Valhalla, or TAL for the most part). It's just the OG one looks like a “tough Soviet Union device“, while the new release looks like a “cheesy cartoon“ of that

End of rant (that's actually not even been one, more like an observation on personal preferences) as visuals are one of the least important things for an audio plugin
Last edited by FapFilter on Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.

btw I love that TDR keep using the correct terms "Sum" and "Difference" in their plugins instead of "M/S". As the president of the Smart ass Society for the correct Usage of Terminology (SSUT) I applaud that!

FapFilter wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:24 pm
Usability wise those are definetely on the „weirdo / i don't give a f**k about great user interfaces“ though and i wasn't knocking TDR in these regards.
I'm actually not knocking TDR for their „trademark looks“ either. It s just a personal thing regarding their visuals. And “subpar“ (subjectively of course) have never stopped me from using a plugin over something that “looks phenomenal, but sounds inferior“ (to my ears)
Lucky you! I have real problems using plugins where the the UI is just unprofessionally executed. Maybe it's because in an earlier life I was a typesetter and I learned a bit about design and typography.
Sure, look and feel are subjective in the end, but there are professional standards on how to design user interfaces so that usability doesn't suffer (usage of colors, alignment of UI elements, font choice and sizes, don't stray too much from common conventions etc.)
But then, there are so many really good plugins to chose from, it's very much a first world problem :)

FapFilter wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:35 am It's probably just me, but i think the GUI actually looks much worse than before esthetics wise. And i don't have any nostalgic feelings regarding the OG look as i never actually used that comp before. Always have been curious though never tried for some reason.
Will try later anyway though as i don't have anything against ugly looking plugins. I find it just kinda fascinating as i usually think most plugins look better with each new iteration.

It's not just you. The color scheme of the Molot is not a good look. Maybe they will add or have a secondary theme option at some point.

I think it's not just the color. The general glossy look and the lighting effects.
Having said that: don't take that as real criticism as it's really not all that important and also a subjective thing. Now up to downloading the demo... 👍

The Design - Choice does indeed seem a bit of a weird Move here, regarding the older GUIs by TDR themselves & Even knowing where they are coming from with the new GUI; I also liked the old one much more. Hopefully they will change this in a future Update somehow.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Return to “Effects”