SSL X-Comp

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Unless this is what they are referring to (From the manual):

"Max GR
The Max GR (Maximum Gain Reduction) allows you to set a limit on how much gain reduction can be introduced, replicating the performance of older optical compressors (as shown in the upper diagram above). With a Max GR of 20dB, for example, any signals that would normally be reduced by more than 20dB will only be attenuated by 20dB. By only compressing the middle of the dynamic range you can exert some general dynamic control whilst still preserving
the transients for impact."

Perhaps the suggestion is that with this control, the knee and bleed settings, you can have a wide range of outcomes. Probably wouldn't spend much time trying to make this thing sound Tube or FET myself tho.

H-man wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:48 am Unless this is what they are referring to (From the manual):

"Max GR
The Max GR (Maximum Gain Reduction) allows you to set a limit on how much gain reduction can be introduced, replicating the performance of older optical compressors (as shown in the upper diagram above). With a Max GR of 20dB, for example, any signals that would normally be reduced by more than 20dB will only be attenuated by 20dB. By only compressing the middle of the dynamic range you can exert some general dynamic control whilst still preserving
the transients for impact."

Perhaps the suggestion is that with this control, the knee and bleed settings, you can have a wide range of outcomes. Probably wouldn't spend much time trying to make this thing sound Tube or FET myself tho.
Yea pretty sure that is what they mean. That it's flexible enough to pretty much set anything to mimic those compressors in regards to attack, knee, gain reduction etc.

Still doesn't explain the 2A OPTO preset. I did message them.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

I personally will not spend much time trying to get it to sound or work like a vari-mu or optical on purpose, I don't think it is going to be the best tool for those jobs whereas there are some really excellent tools out there aimed right at those usages.

I did have the same queries from reading the blurb - "ok, where's the button that changes the mode/behaviour between opto/etc..?" and I think the marketing point is a little, er, "generous" where it says you can emulate the behaviours of those compressor types. Broadly, with the controls you have, you can, but it's not the same as detailed emulations of the actual types with quite different behaviours. (Not that we necessary need any more of those, of course).

Not sure about the "2A - Opto" preset either, but you can see where the knobs are set to in the screenies so it's easy enough to recreate if necessary.

LeVzi wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:29 am
H-man wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:22 am
LeVzi wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:12 am OK i'm a bit confused. On the page I see an image at the bottom yeah, if you look closely, you can see 2A OPTO in the presets section
https://store.solidstatelogic.com/produ ... ive-x-comp
True, nothing about it in the manual either.

Interestingly, if you look at the Channel strip (2) on the plugins page, you can see the compressor has an external sidechain setting :shrug:
Yeah it does.

I think they are suggesting for X Comp that the controls allow for emulation of Vari MU and OPTO and FET etc. How that works is beyond me.
I think it's just someone's custom preset that sounds similar. I dialed in the same settings (copied from the screenshot) and it does have a bit of a 2A Opto sound to it.

As for sidechaining/ducking, seriously, that's where we are now - all compressors have to be designed with EDM people in mind? I use ducking as much as the next guy, but I don't expect every developer to cater to my needs since there are already countless compressors and other dedicated tools for that. SSL is not exactly a company that caters to EDM/electronica anyway. That said, yes, I agree that the regular price on their plugins is way too high, but it's easy enough to just wait for a sale and get them dirt cheap. And, maybe they're just more reliant on their subscriptions, IDK :shrug: Anyway, I think the most embarrassing thing about SSL is how f'ing horrible their own demos are. Seriously, one of the biggest names in pro audio gear can't find better audio demos to feature in their own plugin tutorials? :dog: :hihi:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Bought it today without demo, it;s still 19 at PD (was too lasy to dig thru gobbler subscribtions for such, being sure that ssl knows a lot about compressors lol + was warmed up from their gate and limiter, which i liked btw, especially gate).
So, tried, and was upset. Can say, very middle work (did compare face to face with some units at synth sequences, incl waves ssl bus). Honestly, would be surely pass, if demoed first.
The only thing in the end, to alleviate grief, was load powerful drums through it. Hmm, actually on drums at least he is able to show something cool (but it always works lol).

Return to “Effects”