Fabfilter or Soundtoys 5

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Kinh wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:57 am
leeleema wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:47 pm Avoid packs, you'll almost certainly not use everything, or even most items in them, to the extent they'll be poor value. Hence it's a non-question :wink:
complete nonsense
Try this: name a pack you have and give a rough % of how often you use each item. As with everything, YMMV but my experience with packs is I tend to use 1 or 2 plug-ins and not touch the rest after the initial love in period. Hence it's much better to just buy those particular plug-ins

Soundtoys has the effect plug-ins, Fabfilter also has many standard plug-ins like limiter, EQ, (multiband) compressor etc. That's why you can't compare them!
Instead of the complete bundles, it makes more sense to choose individual plug-ins. Soundtoys, for example, has no limiter, the Pro-L from Fabfilter is excellent. Some well-known names also use the internal EQ of the DAW, so you don't need Fabfilter or Soundtoys for this tasks. Soundtoys, on the other hand, has an excellent delay, which is considered by many to be the "king" of delays.

You always have to look carefully at the complete bundles. Soundtoys, for example, has an Echo bundle that was once offered for very little money ($99)... and that is really a great deal.

leeleema wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:47 pm Avoid packs, you'll almost certainly not use everything, or even most items in them, to the extent they'll be poor value. Hence it's a non-question :wink:
Yes and no.
I have FabFilter FX bundle, and even started using Pro-R that i thought i wouldn't ever use, and recently due to FF being one of the first offering Native M1 builds, rekindled myself with Volcano.
There's nothing in FX that doesn't get regular use here, and i think it's a great value, since everything included is top-notch, support is top-notch, and quality/CPU usage is unparalleled.

On the other hand, i sold iZotope MPS3 because i barely used anything except two modules from it.

Ploki wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:27 pm
Yes and no.
I have FabFilter FX bundle, and even started using Pro-R that i thought i wouldn't ever use, and recently due to FF being one of the first offering Native M1 builds, rekindled myself with Volcano.
There's nothing in FX that doesn't get regular use here, and i think it's a great value, since everything included is top-notch, support is top-notch, and quality/CPU usage is unparalleled.

On the other hand, i sold iZotope MPS3 because i barely used anything except two modules from it.
Volcano is great, I also keep going back to it from time to time.

Thank you very much for all your insightful feedback and advice.

I agree with your opinions and those of which you must choose each fx plugins and for mastering.

For example at Uvi, there is the Relayer, a hell of a delay apparently.

So for the eq, compressor, saturation, delay, reverb, overdrive, chorus, phaser, Fabfilter and Soundtoys a mix of the two depending on the plugins and usage.

For trance gate, on the other hand not really a definite idea on a plug in, you have an idea of ​​an excellent plug in to suggest to me?

Just like a good arpeggiator / sequencer?

Now buying a few plugins separately can cost more, compared to special offers for example, possible to have the total of Soundtoys 5 for a very interesting price, the same as for three or four separate plugins, same with Fabfilter.

For you and according to your experiences and for my musical style.

What is the best delay, reverb, compressor, overdrive, saturation, phaser, chorus, trance gate, arp / seq, eq?

leeleema wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:38 am Try this: name a pack you have and give a rough % of how often you use each item. As with everything, YMMV but my experience with packs is I tend to use 1 or 2 plug-ins and not touch the rest after the initial love in period. Hence it's much better to just buy those particular plug-ins
Sure, that's easy.

Fabfilter:
ProQ - numerous instances in every song, plus in my mastering chain (easily my most-used plugin)
ProC - ditto
ProL - ditto
Simplon - ditto (my go-to for basic filtering needs/sweeps)
ProG - numerous instances in every song (my go-to gate for vocals)
ProDS - ditto (one of my go-to de-essers for vocals)
Saturn - often
Volcano2 - occasionally (I prefer FilterFreak or The Drop)

Soundtoys:
EchoBoy - 1 or more instances in every song
FilterFreak - ditto
Decapitator - 1 or more instances in most songs
Tremolator - often
Little Plate - occasionally
PhaseMistress - ditto
PanMan - ditto
Sie-Q - ditto
MicroShift - ditto
Devil-Loc/Devil-Loc Deluxe - ditto
Crystallizer - rarely
AlterBoy - ditto
PrimalTap - ditto
Radiator - ditto

For either bundle, if you combine the individual costs of the plugins that I use regularly, often, or occasionally it's WAY more than the price I paid for the bundle. And, these two companies make amazing products that are all widely used for good reason. Many of the Soundtoys plugins fill a very specific niche, so I use them rarely, but they're very good at what they do, so I'm glad I have them. I probably wouldn't have bought them separately, so they're basically just bonus plugins for me.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Thank you very much.

Just a math to do indeed. Both are a complement

The other thing is, if you're new to all this, absolutely wait for sales. The Soundtoys pack will be half price which is a substantial saving. I think Fabfilter sales are rarer and usually max 25% off. For a trance gate, kHs trance gate is excellent. I don't like trance music at all but I use that plug-in regularly for tremolo effects

Unfair to compare the 2 really as there is no compressor, gate, limiter or eq ( discounting SieQ as its fixed band) in the soundtoys package. And lots included in soundtoys that isn't in FF. Get both! 👍
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

Thanks for your feedback.

Indeed the two seem inseparable.

Maybe take the FF first and wait for a promo at Soundtoys.

Just to give you another option, U-He Uhbik. :)

https://u-he.com/products/uhbik/
Win 10 with Ryzen 5950x, Bitwig 5, too many plugins, Novation Circuit Mono Station and now a lovely Waldorf Blofeld.

Kypresso wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:36 am Just to give you another option, U-He Uhbik. :)

https://u-he.com/products/uhbik/
uhbik is a good alternative to soundtoys. last time around i opted for uhbik instead, 2.0 has been in alpha forever but its running better than some final version software

As others have said; for mixing, FabFilter all the way! Sound design, Soundtoys. The only crossover for me is I use Decapitator all the time in the mix phase. That's about it.

For me, I'd advise you to ask yourself: what type of effects do I need, and where are the best bargains? Fabfilter's Pro-Q and Pro-C are super clean, which may be right up your alley, but you could probably get by just as well with CraveEQ 2 and FIRcomp if that's what you need. Do you need a Gate and a De-Esser? Depends on what type of music your making and how it's being recorded. Do you need a great limiter? There's a few of those outside of Pro-L. Reverb? Valhalla has a few I really like, Relab's Sonsig is amazing and frequently on sale.

Soundtoys, has a wide selection, but I think they're feeling a little long in the tooth. People do incredible stuff with Soundtoys effects, they're just not the head of the call these days IMO. I'd rather have Valhalla for delays, plates, developers like Kush for saturation, Eventide for pitch stuff, or even Arturia's Modpack or NI's, Cytomic for Distortion, Shaperbox for crazy effects. There's lots of great stuff out there. If you're smart about your dollars and when you spend them, you can probably spend $500 and get some best in class plugins that will, one-on-one, beat out stuff by Soundtoys or Fabfilter, or at least hold their own for fewer dollars. Just my two cents.

Decap, Devil Loc Deluxe still getting a tonne of use here. They have a warm and gritty tone to them. Fabfilter errs on the side of clean and shiny, IMO. Horses for courses!

Return to “Effects”