RIFT Filter Lite - FREE Plugin by Minimal Audio

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Minimal Audio wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:21 pm
TIMT wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:18 am
aMUSEd wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:26 am Thankyou for the freebie - I think Rift looks interesting but at the moment I am not enjoying the sound of this filter with high resonance, it breaks up too much and gets too boomy for me.
Yeah, ditto. It rings too much and lacks some kind of drive stage in the filter loop. Doesn't need to be fancy, even a simple soft clipper would do the trick, but beyond a certain amount of resonance currently i find it a bit unusable

Decent freebie though. I would guess this is somewhat based on the Z-Plane/Morpheus filters in the old E-Mu samplers and rompler/synth things?
Hey,

Thanks for checking us out and posting some feedback!

Rift Filter Lite is taken from our upcoming product Rift, which provides multiple stages of distortion/soft-clipping in a similar way to what you're describing. I really like the idea of adding an optional drive stage to RFL, and we'll try to get it into the next update. Thanks!

I haven't used the filters you mentioned, but they do look similar!

Best,
Ben from Minimal Audio

Alright, sweet. Looking forward to Rift then. When is the release?
I

Minimal Audio wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:21 pm
Hey,

Thanks for checking us out and posting some feedback!

Rift Filter Lite is taken from our upcoming product Rift, which provides multiple stages of distortion/soft-clipping in a similar way to what you're describing. I really like the idea of adding an optional drive stage to RFL, and we'll try to get it into the next update. Thanks!

I haven't used the filters you mentioned, but they do look similar!

Best,
Ben from Minimal Audio
You can get those EMU morphable filters in VST format on the EMU Emulator X3. Its the reason that some people still use that bit of software. Worth a look as they are a masterclass of morphable filter design. 64bit X3 works fine with Win 10 and can still be found lurking around in some corners of the internet.

A virus was detected and the download was cancelled on my computer. anyone else had this happen?
Last edited by danfi on Fri May 07, 2021 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ran through all the filter types last night, tweaking the params with each to see what they can do. I found there to be a bit much overlap between the models and that the core sound (character) doesn't change much. The character of it isn't quite as much to my taste as e.g. Kilohearts Nonlinear Filter, but the stereo spread is awesome and I liked some of the more modulation-like filters too. It is also cool to use as an enhancer with the filter shape set to accentuate certain freqs and then setting the dry/wet mix to 5-20% wet.

The draw for me is the stereo spread capability and I'll be using this as a nice widening effect. Thanks for the freebie! Curious what Rift will be like.

danfi wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:52 pm A virus was detected and the download was cancelled on my computer. anyone else had this happen?
I just scanned the file on Windows 10 and it seems fine. No threats.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:16 pm
danfi wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:52 pm A virus was detected and the download was cancelled on my computer. anyone else had this happen?
I just scanned the file on Windows 10 and it seems fine. No threats.
Thanks for checking out the plugin! Appreciate you all being among the very first people to give us a shot.

Unfortunately it's true, that some users are currently getting malware warnings on windows, even though we've properly code signed our app installer. You can see this if you tell the Microsoft smart scan to download the file anyway, our installer shows as a known developer with our company name.

Just because the company has online been online for 3 days, we need some historical evidence of successful users, or the alternative was to pay a bunch of extra money for be manually vetted face to face with a certificate provider.

I can confidently say that were all musicians in the company, and the software is 100% safe and does not contain any malicious code.

Just to be proactive I'm going to cross post this information from another forum where we responded to a question about data collected via the app:
Good question -- so the plugin does collect a tiny bit of information, but not for any sort of marketing or nefarious purposes. When you login we send your computer ID & Name to you account on the website. This is so that you can easily recognize and manage the computer which the plugin is available on.

You can see all of the information which is collect in your account section of the website, you can also easily "deactivate" and remove a computer in this portion of the website, this will entirely wipe all information about your computer from our system.

Likely, you would want to do this if you needed to move the plugin from one machine to another -- similar to how other software products manage their seat.

Our products, whether free or not, come with two available seats by default -- and we believe this style of seat management empowers users to more freely manage their products over typical serial key systems which are hard to move to and from machines -- or require direct contact with the company.

It's your software, use it where you want, and move it how you like! We use none of this information for any other sort of internal purposes aside seat management, and the intention of Rift Filter Lite is to introduce people to our brand, not collect information.
Best,

Ben & Jake from Minimal Audio

Just tried it and this thing is pretty cool. As others have said it would benefit from a drive stage. Add a nice little mod matrix and count me interested.

Looks really nice, but I can't run it because (sigh) I run under Wine and have network issues there. Having a 100% dependency on internet access being present and enabled, means that some people won't be able to demo or use your product. If I were writing the code, based on my many years of writing code that survives in different environments, I'd handle the timeout on the internet connection and let the user use the free demo anyway.

Very cool temporary freebie, there's a good deal one can do with this. Automating it is very smooth. +1 on the stereo spread, a straightforward way of doing it. I like the formant selections, just a little bit of that automated and mixed in just before it's noticed can add organic richness to synth lines.

Looking forward to seeing what the full versions does, looks like it'll offer the drive and modulation people are asking for. Kudos to the graphic designer:

Edit: picture removed at request.

I know you're musicians but is it possible to allow users to deselect what they consider unnecessary in the installer, e.g., VST2 and/or VST3, and specify paths for where the plugin dlls will land?
Last edited by yellowmix on Sat May 08, 2021 2:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Minimal Audio wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 9:31 pm ..and we believe this style of seat management empowers users to more freely manage their products over typical serial key systems which are hard to move to and from machines -- or require direct contact with the company.
Define "typical serial key systems" cause it's sounds like you refiering to Serial Number authorization and that is in fact very easy to freely manage...so it can't be that.

If you really was all about the the cause of customers empowerment you wouldn't have a challenge response authorization system at all...just saying.

An example of an actual real user empowerment approach is U-he, pretty much the gold standard followed by the likes of Voxengo, TDR and so on.
It's your software, use it where you want, and move it how you like!
No no no... that implies ownership, as long the DRM is dependent on a external service to make the authorization possible it can't be.

I find marketing speak like this dishonest and manipulative, however I made this reply since you are new company in order to make you consider that you may actually do more harm than good by using marketing speech like this.

You can very well loose more potential customers than you get when trying to put lipstick on a pig like this.... specially when talking long term.

With that said, it appears you have a really good product and with that in mind I wish you all the best in the future.

yellowmix wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:37 pm Very cool temporary freebie, there's a good deal one can do with this. Automating it is very smooth. +1 on the stereo spread, a straightforward way of doing it. I like the formant selections, just a little bit of that automated and mixed in just before it's noticed can add organic richness to synth lines.

Looking forward to seeing what the full versions does, looks like it'll offer the drive and modulation people are asking for. Kudos to the graphic designer:

rift.jpg

I know you're musicians but is it possible to allow users to deselect what they consider unnecessary in the installer, e.g., VST2 and/or VST3, and specify paths for where the plugin dlls will land?
Did you pull the greyed out screenshot from the web and re-saturate it : ( it looks so much better than this!

We are currently working on a more refined installation system where you can select the components you'd like to install as well as their destination -- that will definitely be there for the full plugin release...

Thank you for the kind words!
Last edited by Minimal Audio on Sat May 08, 2021 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Define "typical serial key systems" cause it's sounds like you refiering to Serial Number authorization and that is in fact very easy to freely manage...so it can't be that.
Heya -- so it's been a while but I was under the impression a lot of companies offer two single use serials keys, which can be activated a single time and then not be removed from a machine -- is this not true?

This is more modeled after how companies allow you to view where you're logged in and "remove devices" from your user account.
If you really was all about the the cause of customers empowerment you wouldn't have a challenge response authorization system at all...just saying.

An example of an actual real user empowerment approach is U-he, pretty much the gold standard followed by the likes of Voxengo, TDR and so on.
How do these guys do it? We're always open to feedback on this stuff. I mean -- we need to validate somehow no?
No no no... that implies ownership, as long the DRM is dependent on a external service to make the authorization possible it can't be.
Correct -- the better way to refer is they're your seats / licenses to manage / use however you'd like and should be easy to move around and remove from your machine easily.

I find marketing speak like this dishonest and manipulative, however I made this reply since you are new company in order to make you consider that you may actually do more harm than good by using marketing speech like this.
I appreciate your feedback and will try to be more clear -- a lot of those points are totally fair.

Minimal Audio wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:58 am
Heya -- so it's been a while but I was under the impression a lot of companies offer two single use serials keys, which can be activated a single time and then not be removed from a machine -- is this not true?

This is more modeled after how companies allow you to view where you're logged in and "remove devices" from your user account.
That is the essence of a C/R system or a Machine ID authorization. There are various ways to impelement this, but this is what it is....

The use of a typically alphanumerical serial number is of no actual importance in this case since the serial in question is dependent on external things in order to work.

In this case I assume the product check some hardware ID's like network adapter and then use this as a Challenge code to generate a Response key that only works if the plugin can confirm that the hardware is present.

(BTW I don't know what you mean be can't be removed, anything can be removed/replaced and I have not heard of a company that only offer 2 lincenses for 2 specific machines and thats it..not when it comes to plugins anyway...but if that's the case your way seem of course better, but just because there's is a worse way to do it doesn't mean it's a good way when all things considered)

How do these guys do it? We're always open to feedback on this stuff. I mean -- we need to validate somehow no?
Well no, you don't need , you want to, or believe you do. There are developers that don't find it worth the time and effort to maintain any form of validation, its an financial burden afterall. DRM Free is a thing and it works just fine.

U-he use a Serial Number, self contained, thats all...but I heard he have some tricks but how it works I have no idea. I think I saw some discussion on that in the DSP Development category... I'm no programmer so I can't be of any help.

However, I'm a long time customer of U-he and I have never ever had a case where the DRM has made itself know to me besides me typing it in once...and I work on at least 2 different locations and computers. Not only is this optimal for a user, it also gives me a peace of mind knowing that I have these plugins working as long as I have a compatible OS to run it on.

I actually choose to use plugins l with independend DRMs when I have the alternative.... and I constantly replace C/R plugins as soon as I find an alternative to purchase. Afterall, I make an investment of time and effort in order to develop skills and master the craft and the plugins are the tools.

By doing so one does not only develop a workflow but also knowledge how to go about to create a specific sound and this can not be replicated by any other plugins, get close perhaps, but that also includes even more time and effort since the need to learn and understand new tools... I like to make long term investments, I'm consider that being wise not matter what the subject. Planned and/or designed obsolesence is not one of them.
I even buy plugins from devs like U-he, Voxengo, TDR and so on even if I don't need it just to support them.

Voxengo uses a serial number only , thats it (perhaps an online option also, cant remember), although I think he changed the format of the serial recently to something that was really easy to track down on the internet so he could blacklist leaked/shared serials really fast or something like that. Once again, I can have that all wrong...my understanding from reading conversation between developers here on KVR is not something that should be considered fact.

TDR has an online option I think but they also offer a license file/key file. This one is portable and standalone just like a serial...I guess one could say it's just a serial in a file that you load/drop on the plugin for convinience I guess...copy and paste is such hard work.. :P
Correct -- the better way to refer is they're your seats / licenses to manage / use however you'd like and should be easy to move around and remove from your machine easily.
I believe it's common to call them license managers or autorization managers... but then, I don't use them so I can be wrong.
I appreciate your feedback and will try to be more clear -- a lot of those points are totally fair.
I appreciate your reply, I wish you good luck.

Mik_lo wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:39 pm Is the full version going to have more morphing filter types? Please look at the Emu. There are tons of people who will snap this up, given more options for morphing.
Hey!

The full version (Rift) will not have more filter types, but it will have a ton of other unique effects and features.

The filter types were super fun to design, and I hope to add more in an update. If there's a filter type that you feel is missing, please let me know. :party:

Best,
Ben from Minimal Audio

i would never say no to more combs. maybe i should just cut that hair eventually. naaah. more combs please
find free samples and presets at
:troll: https://fatpassfilter.com

Return to “Effects”