FabFilter Pro-R

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pro-R 2

Ok i'm late to the party as per usual, though I couldn't be arsed to bump another thread with an out of date name. This thread can double as a general Pro-R thread, and i will update this, but I do have some questions for owners of Pro-R that might actually read the OP.

Well, not really a question... I am strongly considering purchasing this one. I have been giving this a good demo and I love the streamlined workflow, the sound and the relatively light CPU hit.
I guess the main surprise for me, is the lack of the usual FabFilter modulation. I'm also wondering if an update might include a shimmer feature also? What do you think? Anyone have any inside update goss?

If this had a shimmer function i'd be all over it, I've also been demoing Toneboosters Reverb, which i was gonna grab until I realised FabFilter was having a sale, and my customer discount brings the price down a fair bit.

It's creative. Any buyer remorse out there? :P

cheers

https://www.fabfilter.com/products/pro-r-reverb-plug-in

The cool thing with Pro-R is the ability to create a damping curve that controls the amount/duration of damping in the bands you set up. This can create some pretty interesting reverb tones and textures that I can't think of another reverb that does that. To me that is the special sauce about Pro-R and in some ways can be thought of as a different kind of complex modulation but the context of which makes more sense for a reverb.

i got it with the FX bundle, assuming i would never use it, but it's been of my most used reverbs for a while.
I don't think ToneBooster verbs is as useful or easy to fit as Pro-R - it just gets out of the way.
For shimmering I just use it with Timeless3 ;)
plexuss wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:25 am This can create some pretty interesting reverb tones and textures that I can't think of another reverb that does that. To me that is the special sauce about Pro-R and in some ways can be thought of as a different kind of complex modulation but the context of which makes more sense for a reverb.
ToneBoosters Reverb 4, Logic's ChromaVerb.
I like ChromaVerb (although i dont use it nearly as much as ProR), not a fan of TB's sound.

I've read some mixed opinions about Pro-R, some people don't like the sound of it. I've been using it as my bread and butter reverb ever since it came out though. That's maybe the downside of it, the lack of modulation and more creative features... but you can view it as a strength as well: good reverb that's quick to set up with minimal tweaking or having to use the presets to make sense of it. That said, the presets are good too, useful starting points if you're looking for a specific sound.

Soundwise it's maybe a bit bright and plasticky, but that often suits my sound and lends itself for further processing very well because the signal has plenty of detail.. you can add noise, grime and weirdness yourself.

I just use the eff'n presets. I didn't know dere woz any controls

Kinh wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:47 pm I just use the eff'n presets. I didn't know dere woz any controls
have you ever considered a career in literature?
perhaps updating the classics?

"it wuz da bezt uv effin times, dere wuz de worzest timez..."

I just recently picked up R-Verb myself - not because I needed another reverb to add to the pile, but because the sale/discount was too good to pass up and I'm a sucker for anything with the Fabfilter logo on it. I haven't spent a whole lot of time with it, but I have to concur with some of the things mentioned here. First off, it's a great sounding reverb with lots of control over the details, with the usual excellent GUI and visual feedback you'd expect from FF. But, yes, it was surprising and a bit disappointing that they left out those typical FF modulation capabilities that would really take R-Verb from a "realistic spaces" reverb to a full-fledged creative reverb. That's not to say that I'm disappointed in the plugin, just that I'm a whiney little b!#%^ who always wants more and hope to see that in a future update or v2. :D
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Add me to the list of those who wanted to love it, tried to love it, and then uninstalled the demo and never looked back. That was a good 2 years ago.

I’ll definitely try a v2 if ever that happens.

I would have tried this, but I found the Valhalla plugins before I got around to it, now I'm not sure if there will ever be a need.

unless you get tired of all that unwanted resonance

Pro-R does have a bit of a "Jack of all trades, master of none" vibe, I will admit - but as per the other thread it is hella versatile.

The most unique feature, controllable decay per frequency, is definitely not a gimmick and can be a great problem solver for getting spatial density without overclouding the mix.

MogwaiBoy write:
The most unique feature, controllable decay per frequency, is definitely not a gimmick and can be a great problem solver for getting spatial density without overclouding the mix.
This^
On a number of Macs

...and this thread finally convinced me & I bought it. Thanks OP & others! :hug: :tu:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

PeteMcJames wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:01 am I would have tried this, but I found the Valhalla plugins before I got around to it, now I'm not sure if there will ever be a need.
yes, I have 5 other FF plugins.. but for reverb I have never regretted buying any of the Valhalla verbs - always use them
Zen

I bought valhallas (room and vv) after - but they havent replaced pro-r for me :)
They’re not as easy to hide in a mix

Return to “Effects”