A gorgeous new granular delay by Audio Damage -

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
User avatar
noiseresearch
KVRian
1050 posts since 14 Apr, 2008 from /* whitenoise */

Post Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:43 am

Wonder what beta testers are doing today? Loading a plugin, making three presets and reporting it's fine? I mean... how is this possible? How can this bug not pop up while testing?
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

User avatar
noiseresearch
KVRian
1050 posts since 14 Apr, 2008 from /* whitenoise */

Post Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:45 am

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:41 am
ThomasHelzle wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:55 am
For many of their plugins, the VST3 version doesn't save the GUI scale (should be a global preference ideally IMO).
That's true of all Audio Damage effects as far as I recall. It recalls the size per instance, per session. But when you reopen the session, the plugin always goes back to the default size. I agree it's annoying and would much prefer they allowed you to store current as default, or just saved the size per instance (and not also per session). It's been this way for so long I don't expect it to change.
Really? Ouch! Damn the delay sounds so good. I never had a problem with the support but if there are some drawbacks which can't be ironed out that's a bummer
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

User avatar
ThomasHelzle
KVRAF
5891 posts since 9 Dec, 2008 from Berlin

Post Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:48 am

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:41 am
ThomasHelzle wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:55 am
For many of their plugins, the VST3 version doesn't save the GUI scale (should be a global preference ideally IMO).
That's true of all Audio Damage effects as far as I recall. It recalls the size per instance, per session. But when you reopen the session, the plugin always goes back to the default size. I agree it's annoying and would much prefer they allowed you to store current as default, or just saved the size per instance (and not also per session). It's been this way for so long I don't expect it to change.
It's actually quite erratic for me - I just tried the ones I have installed.
Here is the behaviour I see:

-> Other Desert Cities: VST2 saves the size, VST3 doesn't.
-> Dubstation 2: doesn't save the GUI size in either version (also some other details like the preset name and the setting to ignore the mix value).
-> Axon 2: VST2 saves the size, VST3 doesn't.
-> Quanta: Both versions save the GUI size correctly.
-> Enso: VST2 saves the size, VST3 doesn't.

I save a default preset in Bitwig studio with the GUI scaled to max to have each new instance at full size on my 4k monitor, but this doesn't work for those who don't save it at all of course.
ATM I use the VST2 versions which mostly save the size, but in the long run it should just work in any version. Seems like a silly thing to get wrong to me.

Cheers,

Tom
Last edited by ThomasHelzle on Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream|Thomas Helzle 8) Twitter

User avatar
Dirtgrain
KVRAF
2460 posts since 12 Jan, 2019

Post Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:53 am

VST3 has been taking a dump a lot for me lately in Live 11--Zynaptiq, Blue Cat Audio, HY-Plugins (crashing and not opening when opening new project). Zynaptiq told me this is an issue with Ableton. Not sure if this is relevant, but I thought it might be.
"Have you ever noticed how anyone driving faster than you is a [jerk] and anyone driving slower than you is a moron?" - George Carlin

mholloway
KVRAF
1886 posts since 11 Jan, 2009 from Portland, OR, USA

Post Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:59 am

noiseresearch wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:43 am
Wonder what beta testers are doing today? Loading a plugin, making three presets and reporting it's fine? I mean... how is this possible? How can this bug not pop up while testing?
I'd be willing to bet that the Audio Damage 'beta testing team' consists of... the two guys who own and run Audio Damage, the company :ud:
https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp.com/ - Noir-themed Dark Jazz
https://tvhwy.bandcamp.com/releases - classic IDM by TV HWY
www.dwifh.com - old-school industrial music by DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER

experimental.crow
KVRAF
6694 posts since 9 Mar, 2003 from the bridge of sighs

Post Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:39 am

my rule of thumb for Audio Damage plug-ins:

if you like it for what it is right now , then you should get it ...
they do quality work ...

if you like it for what it could become , prepare for a game of chance ...
i simply cannot get a read on how much they listen to customer input ...
updates and feature additions seem sporadic ...

ymmv on customer service ; some people have had issues , others not so much ...
Image

Funkybot's Evil Twin
KVRAF
9206 posts since 16 Aug, 2006

Post Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:09 am

Dirtgrain wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:53 am
VST3 has been taking a dump a lot for me lately in Live 11--Zynaptiq, Blue Cat Audio, HY-Plugins (crashing and not opening when opening new project). Zynaptiq told me this is an issue with Ableton. Not sure if this is relevant, but I thought it might be.
As a rule, I never use VST3 if VST2 is an option. VST3 plugins always seem to be the buggier versions. No one implements sample accurate automation in VST3, there's other ways to suspend processing on silence using VST2... There's no practical benefit to VST3 over VST2 but VST3 is generally the format with the large, format-specific bugs. And by that I mean, sometimes there's a bug in the code that breaks functionality regardless of plugin format...but when you read release notes you'll see a lot of VST3 specific bugs getting fixed that don't have VST2 counterparts.

Michael99
KVRer
6 posts since 3 Sep, 2021

Post Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:23 am

It's definitely a really nice sounding effect - I'm patiently waiting for the iOS version to be released right now.

fairlyclose
KVRAF
1941 posts since 4 Jul, 2019

Post Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:45 pm

no license transfers - will wait til plugin boutique have it on sale

Kypresso
KVRist
335 posts since 26 Mar, 2014

Post Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:09 pm

thecontrolcentre wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:40 am
plexuss wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:32 am
Ya, I'm not wrong. I said that they still allowed transfers after switching websites which they did. Then in 2017 they went NFR and apparently didn't notify customers. Bait and switch. Now go away and try and find plugins with cramping or aliasing or whatever you need to amuse yourself. :tu:
No need to be rude. :tu: You didn't read the thread from 2014 did you? License transfers were already unavailable then.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=489038&p=6853467&hi ... R#p6853467
You keep saying 2014 but the thread is actually from 2017, it even shows that date on the snippet you posted.
Win 10, Mac Mini M1, Bitwig 4.0.1, too many plugins, Novation Circuit Mono Station and now a lovely Waldorf Blofeld.

Raddler1
KVRist
254 posts since 17 Mar, 2012 from Montreal

Post Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:05 am

This delay is really special, but because I suck with anything un-synced, I'm finding the cactus and mirage algorithms not very useful. Things get messy fast as I change the speed of the tape heads, I can't get anything in time. Total train wreck.

Not a huge fan of the reverse either so I'm left with 3 out of 6 useable algorithms. But, it's almost still worth buying because of the amazing sound and effortless tweak-ability.
Last edited by Raddler1 on Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
thecontrolcentre
KVRAF
31497 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Post Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:19 am

Kypresso wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 10:09 pm
thecontrolcentre wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:40 am
plexuss wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:32 am
Ya, I'm not wrong. I said that they still allowed transfers after switching websites which they did. Then in 2017 they went NFR and apparently didn't notify customers. Bait and switch. Now go away and try and find plugins with cramping or aliasing or whatever you need to amuse yourself. :tu:
No need to be rude. :tu: You didn't read the thread from 2014 did you? License transfers were already unavailable then.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=489038&p=6853467&hi ... R#p6853467
You keep saying 2014 but the thread is actually from 2017, it even shows that date on the snippet you posted.
My mistake. I did say it was 4 years ago originally (2017) but was contradicted.
thecontrolcentre wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:09 am
AD NFR policy is at least 4 years old (perhaps more). There was a stink about it at the time. It happened when they moved to a new web address. I have seen a few unregistered AD codes for sale here, but no transfers.

collider
KVRist
270 posts since 14 Jun, 2018

Post Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:00 am

I sold all my Audio Damage stuff maybe 2 years (!!!) ago.
I received an unfriendly message and they got transferred.
I still receive all the updates per email and could still use the plugins, but I won't.

Never Audio Damage again. Never.

User avatar
Biome_Digital
KVRAF
1660 posts since 9 Jan, 2014 from Worldwide

Post Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:24 am

Raddler1 wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:05 am
This delay is really special, but because I suck with anything un-synced, I'm finding the cactus and mirage algorithms not very useful. Things get messy fast as I change the speed of the tape heads, I can't get anything in time. Total train wreck.

Not a huge fan of the reverse either so I'm left with 3 out of 6 useable algorithms. But, it's almost still worth buying because of the amazing sound and effortless tweak-ability.
It's that slow train-wreck sound I loved about these! :lol:

You really just need Valhalla delay by the sounds of it.

Raddler1
KVRist
254 posts since 17 Mar, 2012 from Montreal

Post Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:19 pm

Biome_Digital wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:24 am
Raddler1 wrote:
Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:05 am
This delay is really special, but because I suck with anything un-synced, I'm finding the cactus and mirage algorithms not very useful. Things get messy fast as I change the speed of the tape heads, I can't get anything in time. Total train wreck.

Not a huge fan of the reverse either so I'm left with 3 out of 6 useable algorithms. But, it's almost still worth buying because of the amazing sound and effortless tweak-ability.
It's that slow train-wreck sound I loved about these! :lol:

You really just need Valhalla delay by the sounds of it.
I like that slow effect too, but i can't figure out a practical workflow to keep it in time. I basically tweak till it kinda sounds right. Open to advice.

I prefer this delay over valhalla, just sounds better and gives me instant good results. Valhalla is too washy.

Return to “Effects”