How to remove clapping from vocal audio?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I have a two bar ethnic vocal of some guys chanting-singing which is perfect for my needs but those pesky fellas keep clapping rhythimically throughout, almost in time with my drum beat but not enough and really I dont want the clapping anyway. Whats the best way to get rid of it. I have tried EQ cutting which works but it effects the vocal a little too much and doesn't cut it out completely. I have also tried redrawing the waveforms in sound forge but obviously I lose whatever else is at the same time as the clap. Is EQing the only viable way to do it?
To Thine Own Plugins Be True

The only other way I can think of is using a noise reduction feature. You will usually have to tell the software what you consider noise by highlighting a part of the noise. It then analyzes that and removes exactly what it analyzed from other parts of the audio.

So maybe instead of selecting noise, select one of the claps that is isolated, then see if it can remove the rest? I think Audacity has noise reduction, and it's free. So you can try that.

Other than that, it's probably impossible to get great results(and this idea may not even work).

Brent
My host is better than your host

Start with EQing out as much of the claps as possible without destroying the vocals. You could try to automate an EQ so that it filters more where there are less high frequencies in the vocal.

Then you could try a crackle remover software (no recommendations, I just know they exist) or try to manually cut out the attack parts of the claps from the waveform. When done carefully, this should mask the claps enough to hide them behind the main rhythm, however it will be hard to do seamlessly if the loop is stereo; tedious if the loop contains a large number of claps and ineffective if the claps have plenty of audible reverb.

Then again, it may be easier and give better results if you try to cut up/stretch the loop in a way that makes the clapping sit tight with the main rhythm. Ableton Live would be nice for this.
the the impotence of proofreading

Try the spectrum editing view in Adobe Audition...
My MusicCalc is temporary offline.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. :borg:

I don't think noise reduction will do it. The kind I have (Sound Forge's plug-in) works only on constant noise, not intermittent. Whatever frequencies are in the clap would be removed from the music between the claps as well.

I was going to say it probably wouldn't be possible, but Paulie's last suggestion seems like a smart idea.

Maybe try running it through Spectro to see if you can spot the places you don't want, and either remove or attenuate them?

http://www.stillwellaudio.com/?page_id=32

If you can get a clean clap sound out of this, copy it and invert the phase.
than, paste it exectly on every clap.
never tried it myself, but if all the claps are same sample and not recorded than it should work.

Regards,
Stomper.

try sidechain compression with a de-essing setup

cut them out and time stretch both part to join back(snip a little and stretch this little not hte whole between 2 claps(in logic its pretty simple to do, probably in any host that time stretch it will be easy

Thankyou for all your different recommendations. I am running Reaper which has very good time stretching so I will try that first and then what Paulie recommends if that isn't satisfactory. I have Soundforge which has crackle removal software so I can do it in there. Will report back on any successes.

Just to add that the noise reduction plugin in Sound Forge worked successfully enough to almost completely remove the clapping sound, certainly enough that the main beat now covers it up. Thanks for your input guys.

Have a go with Elevayta's Extra Boy Pro plugin.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

leave it on, cutting it out is like cutting out their hands...scary task! :D
"For some reason everyone on this site hates Roger Nichols, loves Zebra, doesn't need a Virus (unless it's TI), uses Reaper, and thinks the Kaoss pad is cool: remember these rules and you'll be popular." (blackboyrockinit)

leave it in there. most likely no one will notice it in the end product.

or better yet, embrace it. give it room in your production and/or enhance it with your own claps.

If you still want to get rid of it (academically), Cookie had a good idea.

Return to “Production Techniques”