Mix Challenge - Gossip and Discussion

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Because Option+N normalizes to 0 in Studio One. ;)

Does anyone know how to make SoundCloud files play from within KVR?

@Uncle: copy and paste of the link should be enough, let's try...

https://soundcloud.com/massimobosco/rid ... -maxsynths

EDIT: working here (I can see the SC player)

Compyfox wrote:Question - and I mean that in all honesty - do you know, or do you know many people that know, how to actually loudness normalize anything?

There are plenty of tools on the market (however not really affordable ones yet!), and I wrote a couple of tutorials about that already (manual handling - lot of work!). But it seems like as if people are still like "whatever". And... these tools are also not working unified yet for music yet. One tool could interpret -18LUFS different and tool B due to different math. We're still far from actually gaining use out of it. These meters do respond different, depending on how dense a mix is, how much low end was used, how much emphasis was on high frequencies, etc.
Well, I know what I mean by normalizing based on integrated LUFS, it's just adjusting the gain to some predetermined amount to correspond with the reading on the meter. There's nothing non-linear about LUFS, so it should measure according to it's curves at any gain. We could use MLoudnessAnalyzer, a free Melda plugin which works great with the DAW. How far off could an integrated reading be?

Of course some tracks will sound louder at the same LUFS level, it's not perfect by any stretch. The important part is they are statistically closer, and yes, does make dB RMS less important. But this is a mix competition, most people I know mix by ear. That's subjective loudness. And on that point, I would also like to say that using limiters on the master bus should be prohibited, as it's really not beneficial. Maybe the only reason they are being used is because they want to conform to this level you have prescribed to us, which really doesn't connect well with how we hear. LUFS is much better at that, but not perfect.

camsr wrote:...most people I know mix by ear...
Yes exactly and I can't help but think things are getting a bit over complicated. I have my own reference points and they work for me.

But at the same time I know I can learn a lot from Compy :wink:
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

FWIW, I totally support Compy here with the given loudness requirements.

Imo, having loudness matched mixes is the only way to do fair comparisons.
Last edited by No_Use on Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My mix is now up along with details about the mix and all plugins used.
MaxSynths wrote:@Uncle: copy and paste of the link should be enough, let's try...
Can you see the player for this?

https://soundcloud.com/jrrshop/doubtfully-optimistic

Uncle E wrote:Can you see the player for this?

https://soundcloud.com/jrrshop/doubtfully-optimistic

No! Maybe it's something related yo your SC settings?

Ok: edit your track on SoundCloud and be sure to select "Widget enable", this allows to embed the player in forums and site.

BTW, talking of this month mix: the "metronome" track was supposed to stay in the mix? Isn't that the click track?

MaxSynths wrote:BTW, talking of this month mix: the "metronome" track was supposed to stay in the mix? Isn't that the click track?
I thought about that, but decided with what I was going for it might not be a good idea. But it's totally logical to think "well, maybe that's part of the song for him" :D

MaxSynths wrote:Ok: edit your track on SoundCloud and be sure to select "Widget enable", this allows to embed the player in forums and site.
Thank you!!! :D

I had widgets enabled but only for myself. What good is that? ;)
BTW, talking of this month mix: the "metronome" track was supposed to stay in the mix? Isn't that the click track?
Hilarious! I thought he put it there for effect.

hibidy wrote:
MaxSynths wrote:But it's totally logical to think "well, maybe that's part of the song for him" :D
Mmmm yep it could be some sort of... cowbell!? :hihi:

Uncle E wrote:
MaxSynths wrote:Ok: edit your track on SoundCloud and be sure to select "Widget enable", this allows to embed the player in forums and site.
Thank you!!! :D

I had widgets enabled but only for myself. What good is that? ;)
Fine! :tu:

MaxSynths wrote:Mmmm yep it could be some sort of... cowbell!? :hihi:
I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more metronome!

:D

Return to “Production Techniques”