Do you buss your Kick with Bass or with Drums?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I only use one bus; the stereo bus. I also don't use automation either. Just saying it's up to the producer; there are no written rules. But keep in mind that most producer tricks are about compensation. The more one compensates, the more compensation skills one needs to learn. Things quickly can become one big mess that way.

excuse me please wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:33 am I also don't use automation either.
At all - ever? :o

MogwaiBoy wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:14 am
excuse me please wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:33 am
I also don't use automation either.
At all - ever? :o
I know it's a bit silly, but somehow it does not work out for me when I apply all those techniques. Maybe it's my processor or there is something wrong with my system. I don't know.

With the drums.

I buss mine with the bass because they occupy the same octave range and this makes more sense to me than grouping with the rest of the drums which are much higher up the spectrum, generally speaking.
Always Read the Manual!

My default workflow is to buss all drum sounds together to control and process them as a kit, but I might take the kick out and put it with the bass to meld them together with (fairly transparent) clipping or bouncy compression, especially if I’m doing 4x4 stuff.

Mostly I make drum & bass and a lot of the sidechaining needs to be as transparent as possible. For the sidechaining effect I just put a volume shaper on the bass buss. (And music buss.)

I will buss together kick layers and same with snare and then send them to drum buss. As with the overall drum mix it makes for easier level balancing and common colouring.

Best tip I can give is to stick a clipper on the master and push it until it’s obviously distorting, and work from there to see how much distortion you can get rid of. It will become clear which sounds need to be adjusted when you smash the mix. Can also do this with a limiter if you prefer.

Really depends on what is needed.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Mostly I put all drums together (if I use a group at all) and compress them together. Bass on its own.

As for sidechaining - it's a fad. It works for some and good luck to them, but it's not essential for anything. I'd hoped that awful fad for ducking whole tracks with the kick had died - plenty of songs were ruined with it. EDM and anything else does not NEED it. You have the option, but it's just that - an option.

As for having 3 basslines - oh please...

You recent 2021 commenters forgot to get in your time machines and go back to 2015

r4ndom wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:39 am Hey guys, just wondering if you prefer to compress and process your kicks with your basses or with your other drums?

Is it ever processed both ways? For example does anybody ever send their kick and bass to a buss, process that but then also route their kick to another buss for drums? If so, how does this not mess up the sound?
I usually group my drums together and run them through a Bus Comp. Depends on the sound I want though.
Noise Producer

Kinh wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:47 am You recent 2021 commenters forgot to get in your time machines and go back to 2015
You seem like a negative person, try to look at life more on the bright side.

:tu:
Noise Producer

In edm i don't put my kick in a bus, i prefer to treat it separatelly for more clarity and punch

How do these people actually find these necro threads. Hm..

no i don't do all that.
i didn't even get a kick riding the bus.
people get sea sickness, i get bus sickness.
but thanks to covid, i ain't ever riding the bus again.
ah böwakawa poussé poussé

6 busses in my music. Kick, all drums, bass, vocals, backing vocals and synths. All sit on pretty much different fundamental frequencies so treat them different. My method anyway.
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

Return to “Production Techniques”