KVR MIX CHALLENGE - MC16 November 2015 - Winners announced

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A friendly reminder:
6 days left to mix. (remember: CET/GMT+1 deadlines now!)
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

A friendly reminder:
4 days and 6 hours left to mix. (CET/GMT+1 deadline)

Please slowly start to do your final mix checks, and then get your track submitted.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

A friendly reminder:
A bit more than 2 3/4 days left to mix. (2days and 19hrs, CET/GMT+1 deadline)

What is going on? Still last minute entries?!
We won't extend the deadline this time around (as announced in MC15, and the Gossip Thread).

Please submit your mixes if you're done/satisfied with the results, and as soon as it's possible to you.

A friendly reminder:
Ringing in the bell for the last 48 hours of the first round of this month's challenge. (CET/GMT+1 deadline)

Now is the time to submit your mix.

Just finished my mix.
wave:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qg35ez9o7ekm2 ... v.wav?dl=0

mp3:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/oopcqps0zrav0 ... v.mp3?dl=0

Mixing summary will follow within the next couple of days.

A friendly reminder:
Less than 24 hours remaining. (CET/GMT+1 deadline)

Don't cut it too close, please!

Hi, I plan to come back for this challenge. A consistent version of my mix is finished, but I was thinking to sleep over it to avoid nasty surprises when I will listen to it tomorrow :P

I still have around 20h left right (I saw that this is Berlin time now :O )?

Yes, Berlin/Germany CET/GMT+1 time zone now.

More fair for everyone (nearly half a day less towards the US, but nearly half a day more towards Australia)

Great ! :) thanks for the answer, I will post soon (tracks already uploaded, listening now if everything seems ok :p )

Ok I'm too tired to change and it seems ok let's go :)

Here is the FLAC :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/v6rvibdxt39rn ... .flac?dl=0

And the mp3 :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jh27h7xr7swl6 ... s.mp3?dl=0

Great track to work with ! (I'm a fan of Sonic Mayhem ^^ and this remind me the good old times). But very busy ! I had to struggle in order to fit a maximum of stuffs.

I wanted the mix punchy, and decided to focus on the (break)-beat, trying to make it more sharp, heavy and punchy... When the lows of the beats were struggling with the distorded basses, I choosed to make the kicks won over the basses.

I didn't do glitch/breaks over the mix, thinking that first goal is to achieve good sounding mix, if it is ok then aesthetics can always be done at the 2nd session.

It is possible (after hearing the mix just now) that synths maybe a bit buried by the beat, personally I like it (make the song more alive with parts popping in and out dynamically over time), but I can try to push the volume more later if needed.

This is the first KVR Mix were I had to write automation (usually I like to do the maximum I can without automating, by setting the right params and using dynamics, I take it as a challenge for myself ^^) because I used a SSL style compression on the mix buss for glue, and I wanted the volume of basses to be consistent with and without the beat running.

I tried to keep it punchy, but I had to use compression in order to fit a maximum of elements. Once more I like when it pumps a bit in electro, but I tried to keep it natural too to respect Animehaus guidelines. So I compressed (essentially the beat), but just enough to make it work and trying to not overdo it, using parallel compression when I could to ease the effect. Of course I wanted to keep transients good sounding...

More tech details and/or screenshots coming !

As usual, good luck to everybody ;)

Let's hope we can crack more than 4 entries.

Still 7 hours left to submit your mix!

I can't extract the zip file with WinRAR, but I don't really like to install a new software just to unzip this one file. Maybe next time use a common compression algo instead of something exotic?

It's not exotic, it's a very common format: 7ZIP with LZMA compression (which is more effective than RAR, WinRAR should also support it these days), and you can get it as "portable app" without installation.

See the second post for further info.

Furthermore, we use this type of compression since MC01 - and we got no negative comments about it.

Compyfox wrote:It's not exotic, it's a very common format: 7ZIP with LZMA compression (which is more effective than RAR, WinRAR should also support it these days), and you can get it as "portable app" without installation.

See the second post for further info.

Furthermore, we use this type of compression since MC01 - and we got no negative comments about it.
Yeah, and 7Z can also unpack rar files.

So, I mixed and mastered the track, and then I read about the loudness levels, NO premastering, -18LU etc.. I think the master channel makes at least 50% of the sound in this genre, it needs the compressed sound, so the unmastered mix doesn't make much sense to me. Anyway, so I removed everything from the master channel, saturation, limiter, etc. and reduced levels to come out below -3LUFS. I hope I did that right and I hope that I understood the rules right because it really sounds strange to me.

Here is the mix.
mp3:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/334 ... vSound.mp3

wav:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/334 ... vSound.wav

Return to “Production Techniques”