Where do you high-pass your verb bus(ses) ?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I 'm typically using one verb bus for my work - aka. "room"
If mixing in a vocal or two; that would get a separate reverb
At what hz point to do like to high-pass that bus ? With LIVE EQ8, I can also choose a steep or more gentle slope of that filter.

Thoughts ?
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

No one point for me, could change from song to song depending on the tracks being sent to it. Could be anywhere from 200-500 Hz. Wherever it works for the song. What I do mostly is high pass/low pass before the reverb, so the audio going in is filtered. Then the reverb usually has filtering built in or you can add some after, or maybe just high/low shelves after.

Where needed. tip: enable oversampling on Live EQ8.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

I highpass reverb- and delay bus from 100Hz to keep the bass frequencies clean.

I often high-pass all the channels at 30-40 Hz just to remove DC component that could be introduced especially by compression, but also distortion in case of bass and percussion. High-passing a bass and kick is not neutral operation though, and usually needs special care and careful tweaking.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DMG68 wrote:No one point for me, could change from song to song depending on the tracks being sent to it. Could be anywhere from 200-500 Hz. Wherever it works for the song. What I do mostly is high pass/low pass before the reverb, so the audio going in is filtered. Then the reverb usually has filtering built in or you can add some after, or maybe just high/low shelves after.
^ that has helped me a lot getting clearer mixes, hi/lo pass before, maybe eq afterwards (remove further muddy/honky frequencies if needed).
Never tried hi/lo shelves afterwards, gonna try that!

DJ Warmonger wrote:...High-passing a bass and kick is not neutral operation though, and usually needs special care and careful tweaking.
Right - I'm trying to keep the kick completely out of the verb room while leaving the snare and tops in
Bass instrument gets zero send to the verb bus
It seems I'm always fussing with the pre-EQ on this bus

"Where do you high-pass your verb bus(ses) ?"

At home.

:D
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

fese wrote:
DMG68 wrote:No one point for me, could change from song to song depending on the tracks being sent to it. Could be anywhere from 200-500 Hz. Wherever it works for the song. What I do mostly is high pass/low pass before the reverb, so the audio going in is filtered. Then the reverb usually has filtering built in or you can add some after, or maybe just high/low shelves after.
^ that has helped me a lot getting clearer mixes, hi/lo pass before, maybe eq afterwards (remove further muddy/honky frequencies if needed).
Never tried hi/lo shelves afterwards, gonna try that!
+1 for high passing before the reverb - seems to sound more natural that way

I almost never hpf FXs I LPF them rather.

mementus wrote:I almost never hpf FXs I LPF them rather.
This,putting slew limiting on them can be cool too.changing the rate of change at which sound enters the reverb can more convincingly place it further back in the mix and if you really want to swamp it out,putting slew limiting after will make it sound like you are listening to a reverb emanate from the bottom of a very deep well.complete with debris :o
I

Yeah the Abbey Road reverb trick works well. https://youtu.be/4lNckK8N3to

"600hz hi-pass and 10k low pass are the magic frequencies that Abbey Road uses" . . .
these numbers are exactly what I was looking for in this thread. Thx SpinBoyz !

Hi Pass. Low Pass. Band Pass.

Compress the bus output.

EQ the bus output.

Effect the bus output again.

Don't need to go mad. Don't need to do it most of the time. But don't be afraid to do it if it sounds good.

Don't have a pre-template set up. Just get a DAW that you know well enough that you can do this stuff at the drop of a hat. If you have to be spending ages thinking about this or working out routing, then just get it down with a setup that works for you.

Then you can mess about, get lost again. Destroy.

The biggest increase in clarity will be with cutting out the lows. But the highs add up too.

If nothing else, at least try adding some compression to your results. So subtle...

Probably anything else is overkill.

I typically high pass around 500Hz if it's a shared reverb that multiple tracks will be using at once - however, if I'm adding reverb to a solo instrument that I want to sound distant, for instance a synth going through a big hall verb for a sort of Aphex Twiny sound, I may well leave the lows in. Mud is sometimes nice!

Return to “Production Techniques”