Can I make virutal instruments sound like this live band?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The mp3 below sounds like a live band recording with guitar, piano, bass, drums, and a vocal. It was from a mixing contest however the drums for sure are SM Drums, a sampled drum set. It sounds to me the guitar, bass and piano are real and live?

Is it possible to use only virtual instruments and have a mix like this, as if in a live room? Just panning the guitar to the left and adding reverb does not sound like this. I've yet to hear a virtual instrument 'band' sound like this mix. Is it possible?

Can a virtual bass sound like this in a mix in a DAW? How did they make it so fat and sound wide but in the center?

mp3:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8sahg ... kta00/view

Yeah, definitely possible. I'd say a lot of Orange Tree Samples demos for their guitar VSTis have a pretty similar style and mix.

It actually is a lot to do with the room sound on that as well as specific timbres. You could use a convolution reverb of a music club or room, maybe even a plate to get a similar sound to that. The bass doesn't seem like anything out of the ordinary to me honestly (is it an upright bass?) but one thing you might consider doing with bass frequencies in general is mono-summing them so that the lowest frequencies of the instrument are dead center, but the higher ones can wander a bit.

I'd say it's just an amazing mix. The mixer might have used a room plugin like Universal Audio's Ocean Way Studios, but he/she is definitely showcasing a superior grasp of early reflection qualities and putting them into use on whatever material he/she was given... Very talented.

Return to “Production Techniques”