Whats a good mastering chain for edm? Any tips for newer producer?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Kevinvial wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:37 am Should i render the track then go and master then but render each one and reload in the DAW?

All really great advice ty , got some reading to do , thanks!
Yeah, render the mix out to where its done, start a new project, for mastering. So you just have a fresh project with a stereomix.
Then in my workflow, i use a high samplerate (which also means i have to upsample each mix sent to me, a bit overkill when youre starting out) so i deal with aliasing differently; which means if i use a plugin without oversampling i have to use a LP filter after those steps. And also, I render each step that uses Lin phase, so usually my masters are 3-4 renders before the final export. I try to chain together plugins that feel like they belong together. So for example, first render is the corrective lin phase EQ. Then 2nd render is the rbass; compressor and another EQ. If im feeling extra that day, I render rBass in a seperate render. With my cpu and samplerate a render can take some time; anywhere from 20 sec to 3 min dep on oversampling and type of plugin (limiter + clipper step is the longest for sure) so its a bit more time consuming (and ALOT more data consuming!!) but if Transparency is your true goal with it has become for me I feel that is important.
3rd render (which is often the final export and not a 'render down/render in place') is usually clipper + 2 limiters. sometimes i add extra processing like a MB or something; for a 4th render; But thats a bit overkill for a new producer starting out to master - i think youre better off using the same samplerate as you export your mix in, then just put everything onto one chain. and dont worry too much about letting some plugins render down; and chaining some together. at least start out like that to get a feel for it. Hope that made sense feel free to ask

Boy, that sounds like a lot of work. I keep mine very simple and it's always more or less the same recipe down to the settings.

EQ for LP and HP
Limiter to flatten out some incidental peaks and level my volume before we get to the next stage.
Gullfoss - mildy to open up the sound a bit.
Weiss DS1-Mk3 for about 3db of compression and 3db limiting
Another limiter to catch ISP's, read LUFS from and provide dithering mostly.. but I'll use this and the first limiter for some extra loudness if needed.

All this does is make shit very loud and heavy. It doesn't mess with the character at all. Same sound, just louder and brighter.
Anything that doesn't work then, I'll go back to my mix and fix there.. that's forced me to become a lot better at managing issues in my mixes because the mastering (if you want to call it that. Loudification is fine too) process is more or less fixed. It also saves A LOT of time.

Yeah it is ALOT of extra work, but now it comes 2nd hand and i do it fairly quickly but yes, i want to say again, for a producer trying to start out mastering, its wise to keep it simple.
your chain looks great to me! and again, if it sounds good - that means youre doing it correctly!

Return to “Production Techniques”