Podium is now $50

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Brent, thanks from here also. The Podium guy should hire you as a technical writer ;)

It makes sense now about the possibility of different Projects having different sets of VSTs listed. Maybe if they were called something else like "Studio Setups" there would be less confusion.

Kevin
Last edited by hao nao on Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Caleb wrote:Oh - so THAT'S how you're supposed to do it.

The concept of the project vs arrangement was throwing me.
I even managed to get sound out of it.

The only thing you didn't mention is that if you want to play from your keyboard you also need to drag n drop the relevant midi input onto the track as well as the plug-in.

Thanks for the simple explanation Brent.

Regards
Caleb
Oops, sorry for that. I didn't even realize that I missed it. You can use the piano roll without that, of course. But I guess that's a simple thing so I don't know why I forgot it.

Regardless, no problem at all helping. I think the big thing people don't understand is just what you said, the difference between a project and arrangement.

Any more questions, just ask!

Brent
My host is better than your host

hao nao wrote:Brent, thanks from here also. The Podium guy should hire you as a technical writer ;)
Hehe, thanks. I do a lot of writing. What's another manual, eh?

Brent

koolkeys wrote:With Podium, it's actually more simple than people think. But it's not always apparent on how to get it working. Here are some basic instructions on how to get rolling:

snip

I hope these things make sense. These are just the basics, and going from my memory(Podium isn't in front of me right now). Any questions, just ask!

Brent
Thanks for posting this, had enough coffee to try it in linux with wine/wineasio,
the short answer is yes, it works 8) I was able to load Oatmeal with a nice ArtVera skin, load banks and saved patches, load a second plugin with the same functions working. Smallish caveats, it took three tries to get through all the infidels in
my plugin folder, but Podium restarted fine after restarting the X-server each time,
and started normally once the task was complete.
Also, if I had a menu open when the way-too-often nag-sreen opened, it locked the screen requiring an X-server and Podium reststart, (which was fast! a selling point) but since you can't save a default setup, it is
a bit awkward to keep testing for the $50 decision. To me, the sound-dropouts are
enough demo-protection, it would make a huge difference being able to save and load at least one default setup, so further $testing$ was feasible. Cantabile and Reaper
are much more usable in that regard, but I like what I saw, it was very fast in function, and looks to have a good set of features. The tooltips could use a solid background for readability, but maybe thats an option somewhere already. Worth a look from those using linux, and that means wine using Mac people might try it also.
Thanks again for the nice intro tips! :)

What doesn't make sense to me about the Project/Arrangement setup is that there is only a "save as" for Projects, not Arrangements. I would have thought since the Project is a container for several arrangements (as in Tracktion) that there should be the equivalent of Tracktions "save edit as" command. I could certainly do with one.

Also it's not really logical that you don't save a Project until after the plugins have been scanned. I have lost count of the number of times I have had a crash during plugin scan and lost the whole Project - having to recreate it from scratch each time. It would be better to have a way to save the Project first, then run the scan (actually there is a way if you close Podium it forces a save dialogue to come up even if you have only set the VST folder before scanning it but that is a silly way for an app to behave imho). Podium has a few areas like this where it seems not fully thought through yet (the automation system is another example).

Scanning should be optional in hosts, as it is in Cantabile. It must have been conceived as a market concession to preset junkies who can't resist the download button, nor utilize the delete funtion :wink:

Great responses all around. I'll give this another go.
Music is something you DO. Spend time, not money.
http://www.myspace.com/skipkent
http://soundcloud.com/skipkent

I just tried it again but in all the times I've tried Podium I can never get it to recognize my vst's without blowing up. Same just a few minutes ago - Podium didn't like Speakerphone - Poof!, Didn't like Bass Station - Poof! Oh well...I give up. Too much effort to keep starting over and over again... Happy that it works for most of you!

glokraw wrote:Scanning should be optional in hosts, as it is in Cantabile. It must have been conceived as a market concession to preset junkies who can't resist the download button, nor utilize the delete funtion :wink:
You don't have to scan anything. You can leave the plugin directory blank, or only add specific plugins if you want. Podium can make your plugin menus have whatever you want, in any directory structure you want. And it can have multiple setups of various plugins. Pretty flexible.

Brent

C-note wrote:I just tried it again but in all the times I've tried Podium I can never get it to recognize my vst's without blowing up. Same just a few minutes ago - Podium didn't like Speakerphone - Poof!, Didn't like Bass Station - Poof! Oh well...I give up. Too much effort to keep starting over and over again... Happy that it works for most of you!
I will say that if you do seriously want to consider Podium, post your problems on the Zynewave forums. Fritz is uber-responsive and would definitely be interested in what is going wrong. He always fixes bugs ASAP as long as he can figure it out.

Brent

aMUSEd wrote:What doesn't make sense to me about the Project/Arrangement setup is that there is only a "save as" for Projects, not Arrangements. I would have thought since the Project is a container for several arrangements (as in Tracktion) that there should be the equivalent of Tracktions "save edit as" command. I could certainly do with one.
Well, any time an arrangement changes inside of a project, saving the project saves the arrangement as well. I agree that it doesn't make total sense, but it's essentially the same thing.
Also it's not really logical that you don't save a Project until after the plugins have been scanned. I have lost count of the number of times I have had a crash during plugin scan and lost the whole Project - having to recreate it from scratch each time. It would be better to have a way to save the Project first, then run the scan (actually there is a way if you close Podium it forces a save dialogue to come up even if you have only set the VST folder before scanning it but that is a silly way for an app to behave imho). Podium has a few areas like this where it seems not fully thought through yet (the automation system is another example).
You can just select no VST folder, save your project, and then import your plugins afterwards. If it doesn't let you select no folder, then just uncheck the box that says to scan all mono/stereo plugins, as well as the box about surround plugins. It will then create a project without scanning. Then you can go back in and import plugins from a folder, and it will include subfolders and everything, just like if you scanned up front.

Brent

aMUSEd wrote:What doesn't make sense to me about the Project/Arrangement setup is that there is only a "save as" for Projects, not Arrangements. I would have thought since the Project is a container for several arrangements (as in Tracktion) that there should be the equivalent of Tracktions "save edit as" command. I could certainly do with one.
There is some kind of save as for arrangements. It's just called phantom copy and I explained it to you in the Podium forum. :shrug:

koolkeys wrote:
Well, any time an arrangement changes inside of a project, saving the project saves the arrangement as well. I agree that it doesn't make total sense, but it's essentially the same thing.
No it isn't. You would be changing the whole project, not just the arrangement, which essentially makes the whole idea of an arrangement level pointless. There should be save as in project and arrangement. That way you can have cumulative iterations (arrangements) of the same project as a work in progress.

swindus wrote:
There is some kind of save as for arrangements. It's just called phantom copy and I explained it to you in the Podium forum. :shrug:
You did (thanks again) However I really wanted something that "saved as" as I went along rather than making a new copy of the arrangement and working with that. Even if it is similar in some respects I also don't see the point in having one system (save as) for the container project but a totally different system for successive iterations of arrangements - which was the point I was making here, that to me the interface doesn't quite jell yet.

Hello, after going through simular waves of dispair & breakthroughs (creating a project, loading vst's and 5.1 - spatial fx ...) with the Podium demo, I spent several hours looking for an answer to two simple questions:

a) What kind of format is exactly rendered as output, with 5.1? Foobar2000 reconizes it as a '6-Channel-Wave File' (WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE?) but plays it in Stereo in spite of a surround plugin

b) What players or codecs are neccessary to listen to these files?

There are so many wonderful FX & techniqes - Jean Marc got me hooked to the spatial idea... - But before I start creating music in 5.1 it would be nice to share with the listners how they can make use of it =)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”