Pro Tools 10 is here

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://www.avid.com/US/products/Pro-Tools-Software

Edit: didn't realize Lawrence started a thread already. :dog:

Well, that was a pretty quick 10, considering that PT 9 was released not so long ago......... or so it seems.

Still not 64-bit. :nutter:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

cryophonik wrote:Still not 64-bit. :nutter:
That's what happens when you can sell based on just your name. You don't need to keep up with the Jones'.

(I mean no offense at all to anyone who uses Pro Tools)
Blue Phase Music

Features seem.... sort of.... not exciting. Sort of like Sibelius 7.
This gives me a soft off.

I was at a Cubase seminar the other night, and the presenter started off with the 32/64 bit debate, and he was of the opinion that people creating music with samples and mostly electronica might run into the memory limit, but that people in recording studios were mostly happily running 32-bit - although he didn't say "Pro Tools" 32-bit.
:wink:

Based on the Pro Tools 10 FAQ, it looks like PT11 will be 64-bit:
...Pro Tools 10 is still a 32-bit application to support Pro Tools|HD TDM systems and older ("blue") Avid Pro Tools|HD interfaces. Because these older hardware systems will not support 64-bit, it was important for us to do one final Pro Tools release at 32-bit... Pro Tools 10 will be the final full version release to support Pro Tools|HD (TDM) hardware and legacy "Digidesign" audio interfaces, as we make our transition to a full 64-bit application...

@protools 10: Didn't we just get a protools 9?

@64 bit: Protools isn't for midi ( oh yes he did! )

@better sound: But does it have higher fidelity, that's what the big question is!

@daw world: Well considering I got stuck for 200 for useless wastes of trash in the last 12 months I'm pretty cynical but hey, if those guys in that video say are that excited.......well........so am I!

best part are the upgrade prices...

http://www.sweetwater.com/feature/protools10/

:shock:

total crack heads!

"hi, I'd like to upgrade from my 300 dollar mpowered version 7?"

avid

"bend over"

No no, that's ok

hibidy wrote:@protools 10: Didn't we just get a protools 9?
Not too long ago, yes. Maybe a year? I'm on version 9, but don't remember when I got it.
I wish PT was 64-bit, but I completely disagree about it not being for MIDI. The PT MIDI is actually extremely capable and is actually full-featured. Honestly, I look at it as one of the top three overall, both feature-wise and usability-wise. It's amazingly powerful.
@better sound: But does it have higher fidelity, that's what the big question is!
Of course it does(joking).
@daw world: Well considering I got stuck for 200 for useless wastes of trash in the last 12 months I'm pretty cynical but hey, if those guys in that video say are that excited.......well........so am I!
I'm a PT user(not for most tasks, but I use it still), and I'm not really excited at all about this release. I would like the performance improvements that are apparently there, but I'm just not seeing much to warrant a $300 price tag. It's a very "light" upgrade, IMO, and I'll be sticking with 9 for the time being and probably until version 11. I see this as more of a point release, but others may value the new stuff more.

Brent
My host is better than your host

I am as underwhelmed as you all seem to be by the announcement but understand that it isn't really aimed at the music producing crowd. PT 10 is clearly aimed at Post if you understand the feature set and hardware offerings.

Unfortunately it is also the first warning that TDM is going away after PT 10, albeit supported at least for the next 5 years. The new HDX systems will support an upgraded format and both TDM and RTAS will be exiting stage right.

If you are a home studio or small project studio nothing here (IMO) is really good news. If you are a commercial post facility you are probably licking you lips in anticipation.
:(
I'll go even farther and say it looks to me like Avid is moving away from "lower level" enthusiast markets with their upgrade prices and lack of a successor for the 003 line. I think the mid-level is disappearing in favor of a mbox or HDX choice. I think that Avid see it's future in the broadcast and Post world with the Audio as a follow-along to it's media business. This is a direction that Avid has pursued since they disassembled Digi over the last few years. The executive staff no longer has anyone who comes from an audio background.

Life goes on and S1/2 is looking better and better :)
Those that can, do. Those that can't, argue about it on k-v-r

Prices for HD systems are equally insane.

I'm feeling for all the small studios out there.

By the way, does Reaper support .omf ?

koolkeys wrote:
hibidy wrote:
I wish PT was 64-bit, but I completely disagree about it not being for MIDI. The PT MIDI is actually extremely capable and is actually full-featured. Honestly, I look at it as one of the top three overall, both feature-wise and usability-wise. It's amazingly powerful.
lol! TOTALLY joking around.

but seriously, how DO all those "pros" get around the ram limitations? Seems to me that many many people are using quite a bit of virtual instruments. My old cubase system would be at it's KNEES with all the VI's I use these days.

Does PT have a way to run like reaper where a 32 bit host can take advantage of extra ram??

koolkeys wrote:I see this as more of a point release, but others may value the new stuff more.

Brent
A point release? At those prices? :o

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”