Multi processor support differences in various hosts

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jupiter8 wrote: Ok let me put it this way:i am convinced i am going to see it at one point (hey a bigger number is always better) but will have no use for it in my lifetime.

Or simply: i doubt i'll ever see a mobo with support for over 4 petabytes of RAM.
We're now using more RAM for the O/S than hard drive space was available 15 short years ago.
Remember the iLokalypse Summer 2013

Samples and presets and free stuff!

Dominus wrote:
jupiter8 wrote: Ok let me put it this way:i am convinced i am going to see it at one point (hey a bigger number is always better) but will have no use for it in my lifetime.

Or simply: i doubt i'll ever see a mobo with support for over 4 petabytes of RAM.
We're now using more RAM for the O/S than hard drive space was available 15 short years ago.
Yeah i know and mobile phones today are about as powerful as the computer i bought 10 years ago. Moores law is mindboggling.

I haven't actually calculated how long it would take to break the 64 bit barrier but i have feeling it'll be a long long time.

tony tony chopper wrote:So when you're comparing stuff, know what you're comparing - no one can do magic with things they can't control (third party plugins), there are always drawbacks.
OK, thanx for the details on this about Reaper. How is FL doing it? I read at the beginning of this(?) thread that it is doing rather well, too?

How is FL doing it?
It has triple buffering in the last release, effectively processing one buffer ahead, it appeared to be more efficient depending on the drivers.
As for multithreading, same as everyone else, parallelizing what can be, works very well in benchmarks, not so much with real projects.
DOLPH WILL PWNZ0R J00r LAWZ!!!!

tony tony chopper wrote: As for multithreading, same as everyone else, parallelizing what can be, works very well in benchmarks, not so much with real projects.
:clap: :clap:

well, here is my observation of how my preferred instruments and FX host is working on this project:

about 2/3rds of the CPU is reported as "idle".

both the 32 bit and 64 bit 'servers' are instantiated; they are using, combined, around 450"% CPU", which to me seems to indicate 4.5 threads out of 16 logical threads (the 1/3rd of the CPU reportedly used). :shrug:

so, my systems's performance at 64 samples buffer in a mixing scenario is not a problem.

Benjaminjo wrote: Richard from Orion said it is the plugin's fault, but how come in Reaper the same plug behaves correctly? How's that possible?
How can it be the plugin when you launch an empty version of S2 and it takes up 5-10% cpu? ;)

UltraJv wrote:
jupiter8 wrote:
UltraJv wrote:128 bit CPUs and OS will soon be here and the whole shooting match kicks off again.
I doubt i'll see that in my lifetime actually and i do plan to live another 30-40 years or so.

Windows 8 is designed as 128 bit:

"Robert Morgan, Senior Research & Development at Microsoft, is already testing Windows 8 and Windows 8 128-bit support"

http://news.softpedia.com/news/128-bit- ... 3691.shtml
This is a claim that came up in 2009 which has since been demented by Microsoft.

UltraJv wrote:AMD have been working on 128 bit Bulldozer CPU since 2009.
Nope, the address space of Bulldozer is still 64 bit. With 64 bit you can already address 16 Exabyte. Nobody is currently near that and nobody will for many years.

Maybe you confused something with the SIMD registers which are 128 bit wide and for SIMD floating point instructions even increase to 256 bit because of AVX support?

helium wrote:
UltraJv wrote:
jupiter8 wrote:
UltraJv wrote:128 bit CPUs and OS will soon be here and the whole shooting match kicks off again.
I doubt i'll see that in my lifetime actually and i do plan to live another 30-40 years or so.

Windows 8 is designed as 128 bit:

"Robert Morgan, Senior Research & Development at Microsoft, is already testing Windows 8 and Windows 8 128-bit support"

http://news.softpedia.com/news/128-bit- ... 3691.shtml
This is a claim that came up in 2009 which has since been demented by Microsoft.

UltraJv wrote:AMD have been working on 128 bit Bulldozer CPU since 2009.
Nope, the address space of Bulldozer is still 64 bit. With 64 bit you can already address 16 Exabyte. Nobody is currently near that and nobody will for many years.

Maybe you confused something with the SIMD registers which are 128 bit wide and for SIMD floating point instructions even increase to 256 bit because of AVX support?
Truth is that neither will give roadmaps for products like that until existing ones have been sold. Lets see what happens in the next few years, multi core isnt a wow factor anymore, 128 bit will be.

Truth is that neither will give roadmaps for products like that until existing ones have been sold. Lets see what happens in the next few years, multi core isnt a wow factor anymore, 128 bit will be.
Sadly I'm pretty sure that marketing can sell 128bit. The question is, is it only marketing that drives technology now, that is, would serious people at Intel start to work on something as silly just because it can be sold? Since they fail to bring anything new.. possibly.

But PC users are more serious, and there are serious blogs that wouldn't hesitate to shoot "128bit" down if anyone was announcing that.
Besides, marketing can use 128bit without it really being 128bit addressing. So if I was into marketing I'd rather use 256bit, because those VEX instructions are.

tony tony chopper wrote:
How is FL doing it?
It has triple buffering in the last release, effectively processing one buffer ahead, it appeared to be more efficient depending on the drivers.
As for multithreading, same as everyone else, parallelizing what can be, works very well in benchmarks, not so much with real projects.
Cool, thanx for that. And how is the performance of FL compared to Reaper (which I'm using right now)?

hibidy wrote:How can it be the plugin when you launch an empty version of S2 and it takes up 5-10% cpu? ;)
5-10%? Totally reasonable!

:?: :roll: 8)

Cool, thanx for that. And how is the performance of FL compared to Reaper (which I'm using right now)?
You shoudln't be trusting any answer of mine & do a benchmark, as long as you're sure of the proper settings in both.

Scott made a related video recently btw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgOV21oi06Q
because another problem when testing CPU usage these days, is today's energy saving features.

Funny and informative! Thanx, will do my own test. I will try to translate a project and see what will happen.

Informative how? I found it insulting, then again, no surprise considering.

Studio One has a little thing you can get which disables core parking, speed stepping, all that. On my system it did nothing :shrug:

However, I can run gobs of high cpu instruments is REAPER and there is never any kind of issue whatsoever.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”