Python script - aupreset to fxp and back

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

CPB wrote:I have a first attempt at this cobbled together now. I assumed you'd rather use an app than deal with Python and it's associated resources; with that in mind, I bundled it using py2app into a standalone, albeit still command-line, app. Download the .zipped Mac OS X app here
Hi thanks I'll try it now - really appreciated

Where do the presets need to be? - I have renamed the folder as you suggested and at the moment it is on the desktop but when I click on the app it doesn't find them - does the app go in the same folder?

The app can go anywhere, but you need to run it on the command-line and pass in the path to the presets.

Say the app is in your user home directory, and your presets are on the Desktop in the transverb_presets folder, you would open Terminal and type :

Code: Select all

./fxp2aupreset.app/Contents/MacOS/fxp2aupreset ~/Desktop/transverb_presets aumf DFtv DFX! destroyfx-data
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

OK done it - it seems to have worked fine. Many thanks for your brilliant work - I have zipped up my patches and anyone who wants a copy they are here:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/5646041/Transv ... s%20SW.zip
Last edited by aMUSEd on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

No problem at all; thanks for letting me know it works!
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Hi I'm trying to convert some other presets now - what does the "aumf DFtv DFX! destroyfx-data" part stand for? The rest is obviously the program and path but I need to know what to change to make it work with a different plugin (if possible) - the plugin being u-he ZRev

thanks

edit never mind Urs told me a way to load the fxp's on Mac

Please write step2step manual. I tried to convert the FXP presets for V-Station in .aupreset for Logic but I did not succeed. Help please. Sorry for my english... :help:

help me out here? :help:

If I can find ten or fifteen spare minutes this weekend, I'll see what I can do for you!

So it would seem that the V-Station demo doesn't let you save aupresets. Could you upload a single V-Station aupreset for me to examine? One of your own, rather than one from the factory bank, and it absolutely must be in .aupreset format: not fxp, not fxb, and not in any native format. Thanks!

CPB wrote:So it would seem that the V-Station demo doesn't let you save aupresets. Could you upload a single V-Station aupreset for me to examine? One of your own, rather than one from the factory bank, and it absolutely must be in .aupreset format: not fxp, not fxb, and not in any native format. Thanks!
http://bit.ly/R4X7I9 thank :)

• Download the converter app from here (under file/download): https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B7dihS ... XJxSGFRaUE
  • Unzip it into your home (~) directory.
  • Create a folder in your home directory called "vstpresets", into which you should copy all your V-Station FXP presets.
  • From the Terminal, run:

Code: Select all

./fxp2aupreset.app/Contents/MacOS/fxp2aupreset ~/vstpresets/ aumu VStn NVTN data
    [/size]
  • If all goes according to plan, you should now have corresponding aupresets in the vstpreset folder. Copy these to ~/Library/Audio/Presets, or wherever you usually put them.
However, there is a chance this may not work. It has, so far, for every plug-in I've tried, but we are translating one opaque, undocumented binary chunk into another. So no guarantees! Still, I'd be interested to hear how you get on.

If there was suitable interest, I could potentially knock this up into a proper UI driven app, although I have a feeling the age of proprietary format-specific preset formats, and hence the long-term usefulness of such an endeavour, is approaching its end.

* ('aumu VStn NVTN', the path, type, and manufacturer, were found by running "auval -a | grep V-Station". The 'data' state key was found by opening the aupreset and reading the name of the key from within.)

* ('aumu VStn NVTN', the path, type, and manufacturer, were found by running "auval -a | grep V-Station". The 'data' state key was found by opening the aupreset and reading the name of the key from within.)
Your work looks VERY promising!
I have looked for a solution like this for quite sometime.

OK... before I get into this ...
I'm a little unclear of getting 'path,type, and manufacturer.

Where is the proper name for a plugin defined?
Do I just use the name of the component?

Examples: zebra2.component ... omnispherer.component ... sylenth1.component
Would be: "auval -a | grep zebra1" ... "auval -a | grep omnisphere " .... "auval -a | grep sylenth1" ?
Am I correct? (Would run each separately of course)

Also ... I'm not sure how to get the 'data' state key.

Screenshots are worth a 1000 words .

Thank you sir for your work!

Regards

Your work looks VERY promising!
I have looked for a solution like this for quite sometime.

OK... before I get into this ...
I'm a little unclear of getting 'path,type, and manufacturer.

Examples: zebra2.component ... omnispherer.component ... sylenth1.component
Would be: "auval -a | grep zebra1" ... "auval -a | grep omnisphere " .... "auval -a | grep sylenth1" ?
Am I correct? (Would run each separately of course)

Screenshots are worth a 1000 words .

Thank you sir for your work!

Regards

Thanks, although as much credit should go to yairadix for doing all the heavy lifting with his original conversion script, and to aMUSEd for pointing this out to me in the first place!

I'll endeavour to get an easier to follow guide - with screenshots - cobbled together in the next few days.
Yes. 'grep' is just a command-line tool for finding text that matches the specific sequence, which, when fed the output of 'auval -a', makes it easier to locate said plug-in. You can skip the grep altogether if you don't mind manually scanning auval's output for your plug-in's identifiers.
And this is the tricky part. It's not defined anywhere, so you'll need to manually parse it out of an aupreset yourself. Open the plug-in in aulab or Logic, or indeed any host which support aupresets, and save a preset. Open this up in your text editor of choice (TextEdit is always available on Mac, but I do have a soft spot for TextWrangler), and look for the name of the key between the <key> and </key> tags.

(As I've said before, there is no guarantee that this will work for any specific plug-in. It relies on both AU and VST formats using the same binary format when persisting their chunks. The few I've tried all have, but whether they do or not is entirely dependent on how they were coded.)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”