Ableton Live crash - can't even open the project. What now?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

elxsound wrote:
When I ran into issues like this, I would open a brand new set, then locate the saved set via Live's browser and drag in the tracks, one-by-one, playing Live each time to determine what was causing the crash.
Since I have the problem now, I'm trying this, but it doesn't work. It just says 'Loading...' when I drag the tracks from Live's browser, and nothing happens. What's the trick here?

No trick to it.

Do you get the same result with every track, or are you attempting to load the same track repeatedly?

I only ask because what you describe is the issue I would have with an offending plugin.

keyman_sam wrote:
elxsound wrote:
When I ran into issues like this, I would open a brand new set, then locate the saved set via Live's browser and drag in the tracks, one-by-one, playing Live each time to determine what was causing the crash.
Since I have the problem now, I'm trying this, but it doesn't work. It just says 'Loading...' when I drag the tracks from Live's browser, and nothing happens. What's the trick here?
One track at a time ... not all at once. Unless thats what you did.

elxsound wrote:No trick to it.

Do you get the same result with every track, or are you attempting to load the same track repeatedly?

I only ask because what you describe is the issue I would have with an offending plugin.
No, tried different tracks. Just doesn't load. Tried one track at a time, multiple, etc. No dice.

thecontrolcentre wrote:
keyman_sam wrote:I've done that before with no response so gave up on that.
Ableton don't respond to crash reports unless you have a particular request ... they have always responded promptly to my emails in the past.
Do you have any specific info to back your statement up? "Ableton don't respond to crash reports unless you have a particular request ..."
I've never read such nonsense, actually. Curious.

I had this problem that live crashed and the reason was the NI Komplete Kontrol plugin.
To solve the probleme you have to run the Komplete Kontrol plugin standalone, go to the sounddriver settings and choose the routing tab. Now turn off all audio in and outputs expect out 1 L and R. That worked on my maschine. Now I have no problems with 9.5

Hank the Knife wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
keyman_sam wrote:I've done that before with no response so gave up on that.
Ableton don't respond to crash reports unless you have a particular request ... they have always responded promptly to my emails in the past.
Do you have any specific info to back your statement up? "Ableton don't respond to crash reports unless you have a particular request ..."
I've never read such nonsense, actually. Curious.
I have sent in dozens of bug/crash reports. I always get an automated response, unless I also send a detailed message. Its not nonsense ... have you tried it?

same here... it's only if you actually ask for a reply that you get one. Otherwise it just send an automatic crash report type format.

BTW with live 9.5 the only crash i had on yosemite so far in a week, is one crash when scanning like 300+ plugins. I then removed the plugin and all is fine. (didn't work in logic or S1 either, so bad plugin - freebie bit crusher SC)

Sorry to hear that. Kind of weird IMHO.

Hank the Knife wrote:Sorry to hear that. Kind of weird IMHO.
Ableton introduced automatic crash reports shortly after v8 came out. They were being overwhelmed with emails reporting bugs. Live automatically creates a crash report every time it crashes including all the info they need to investigate the issue. Saved responding to thousands of emails every day ...

I wish you could disable the crash reporting, such a pointless waste of time for me as described in this thread:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=380052

Ableton could use a lot more preferences, drives me nuts :(

Cheers

Scorb
I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored...

If you use Valhalla - Frequency Echo, then destroy it terrible VST. I have suffered with crashes for a long time. Suddenly I find the solution. Sorry for my english.
Ableton 10 x64, Windows 10 x64

lsw1983 wrote:If you use Valhalla - Frequency Echo, then destroy it terrible VST. I have suffered with crashes for a long time. Suddenly I find the solution. Sorry for my english.
Ableton 10 x64, Windows 10 x64
FreqEcho works fine in Live9 & 10 for me on XP & Win8.1 ...

elxsound wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:47 am
thecontrolcentre wrote:Live has only crashed twice here since the 9.5 upgrade. Caused by dodgy plugins iirc. Glad you got your project to open.
Stable as rock here.

There are so many interdependencies between OS, host and plugins that it really does help to determine what's causing it so you know where to send your support requests.

So what happens if I'm trying to load each track in in this way but every time I drag anything from the entire set into the arrange window, it crashes again. Tearing my hair out here.

It's not a plugin issue as I have tried removing all plugins and it still crashes every time.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”