Anyone jumped ship / switched DAW this year?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Now on Cubase 7.5

but will quickly switch to
FL Studio my first choice!!!
or
Reaper this would be my first choice if it had a Patcher
as soon as they support ARA

if thy do not do so soon
I may switch to a DAW that already supports ARA
Studio One 3 - CPU hog
or
Sonar Platinum - No "multi-instruments"

also looking at Samplitude!
Unlikely but not out is Waveform and MixMaster

Is it me or did crap just work alot better back in the old single core 32bit XP days ... I'm talking crashes , host lockups , pops and clicks , cpu spikes , plugin scanning , plugin compatibility , soundcard compatibility issues , etc etc .... I don't know seems like crap ran better ..... I'm actually thinking I'm about demo Reaper again and see if I can get through a song with the demo ....

No, it's not just you. And it's not just limited to a particular platform.

However, I don't get many crashes these days. Still this odd cpu spike with cubase demo (but it's not a show-stopper, it's just this weird spike that could be a number of things that has nothing to do with cubase)

Bitwig is fine. Reason is mostly fine but again, as they increment new stuff the cpu keep going up and though it has 7 or 8 bars it should go to be dropouts, it usually can't go past 3 bars (and there is definitely a graphic issue there, but I can't pin-point it)

Oh FL studio is fine too, but I don't care to work in it much.

@Reaper: I just started demoing it again about a month ago. There is this very strange issue for working with amp sims and recording audio where it fades in on the first take and throws you off and it's tied to the click track it seems. Evil Dragon tried to help me with it but I'm not able to get it right. The CPU usage in reaper is TOTALLY SUPERIOR to any other host though. Head and shoulders. It's sickening how awesome it is :lol:

If I didn't love to make music so much I should give up. I hate all the money I've spent and trying to get things right just to be back to square one. f**k the world! :hihi:

Ah the DAW question. I've been a bit of a DAW hoarder over the years and have collected a few of these over the years. Currently own...

- Studio One 3
- Reason 9
- Ableton Live 9 Suite
- Maschine 2
- Logic Pro X (wish I could sell it)
- Garageband (wish I could sell it)
- Fl Studio 12 (don't use ...got lifetime free updates when I bought it back in the day)
- Mainstage
- REAPER

I also have bought (and sold)..

- Bitwig
- Pro Tools

I need two things.... a DAW for mixing/mastering and DAW for ideas/jamming/composition. The first one I got covered with Studio One 3 which is amazing and what I'd scream out if someone put a gun to my head and said I could have only one DAW.

The second need (sketching ideas and composition) is where I've had a lot of trouble finding the "one." I've written/composed songs in Studio One, Live, Reason, Maschine and a couple in Logic with the majority being written in Studio One.

A couple of weeks ago though VST was announced in Reason. Which is amazing cause it was absolutely the reason (no pun intended) that I didn't use it. It was the first DAW I bought and I've owned it since v2.5. Love
(almost) everything else about it. Finally got accepted to the beta with VST and it's f*cking amazing.

Maschine also has a lot of new features coming including a Ableton session-view type "ideas" interface in the 2.6.5 update and a song mode down the line. It's a great drum sequencer/groovebox to complement any host.

So Ableton is the odd man out. Really like the session view and automation but the GUI and arrange page just really turn me off.

Oh and Logic...thanks but no thanks...I know people love it but really hate the workflow its very unintuitive for me. Studio One makes much more sense for my brain.

So with VST in Reason the the dust has finally settled...

- Studio One for mixing/mastering
- Reason + Maschine for songwriting and composition.

The universe has aligned. Life is good.

Well that is until Ableton Live 10 comes out :dog:

Hi all, I am the OP of this thread and I just switched from Studio one to Live 9 suite + Push 2. So far so good and I am started to Adapting the workflow. I once would like to upgrade from 5 to 9 (reason) but I finally stopped.

Hope I can see more features and enhancements in Live 10.

Switched from Cubase 9 pro ( using it since cubase 4 ) to Ableton Suite
And not regretting it all

I also have a copy of Logic Pro x, but barely used it

Switched from Reaper to Studio One last year, will probably never go back to Reaper due to the UI.

I have done a lot with Studio One due to the amazing workflow and UI, however starting to wonder if the grass is greener on the idea/arrangement side. Currently demoing Ableton and FL Studio, and 'wondering' about Reason. Ableton seems like a toy in so many ways compared to S1, however FL Studio is .. interesting.

I could probably see myself using S1 for mixing/tweaking/mastering and FL Studio or Ableton for building the bones.

I'm seriously considering Reason as my primary DAW now that they will support VST. I've always liked the workflow but hated the restriction on devices. I'll still keep Reaper around until (hopefully!) Reason supports MIDI effects. Once I can load the ReaJS VST into Reason I'll have most of what I love about Reaper.
Feel free to call me Brian.

Moved to ardour from bitwig. On Linux.

Made the jump from Ableton Live to a hardware Tascam digital multitrack recorder. Spent too much time on the computer lately. So far so good.

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Switched from all hosts to a bunch of other hosts. Next week, I'll do it again :hihi:

...considering going to Ableton Live or Bitwig from FL... or rather, adding it to the mix. Just trying to weight up A vs B. It's been a long time coming and will happen at some point soon, once I've made my mind up (been using FL for many years, feel like I need something new in the mix, happy with my VSTs, so I figured get DAW switch).
Eternitysound VST Banks

It seems I'm settled with my setup as Cubase Artist as my main DAW. I even won't upgrade to Pro as Artist is more than enough. Studio One v3 is my second DAW and Reaper for quick testing. For score editing I have Notion 5 (which is good and no need to upgrade).

I like a lot FL Studio and Ableton, but I don't have time (or reason) to use them. I feel very comfortable with composing and midi editing in Cubase 9. Also the workflow and the tools (audio and midi) are all great :D

So, my money will be spent, in the future, only on Upgrading Cubase Artist 9 to 10 and S1v3 to v4. That's it :)

I'm on Cubase 6.5 and I'd be interested in buying 7.5 or later if anyone knows what is the latest version to still support Mavericks? Is 7.5 or 8 any more stable than 6.5 does anybody know? I know 9 doesn't support Mavericks unfortunately.

I still use Cubase 6.5 and don't see ever fully abandoning it until someone else develops retrospective record on a PC DAW I like. I have and like Ableton but absolutely need the ability to say, "Hey, that little keyboard riff I just played was pretty cool..." "Oh hey, retrospective record!"
A well-behaved signature.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”