[PreSonus Studio One] Music | Design | Film | VFX Production Resource

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Professional

vanhaze4000 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:24 am - In Browser, choose an Instrument plugin.
(BTW: You can focus the Instruments section of the Browser by using the command "Show Instruments", assigned to a keyshortcut.
- Give focus back to Song window, for example by leftmouse click on an area of the Song Window.
- Now, Use the command "Insert Selected Intrument", assigned to a shortcut, which you can find in the Keyshortcuts List.
Outcome: An instrument Track is created with the choosen Instrument plugin inserted on that Instrument Track.

Hope this helps !
Yes, this works but honestly... if I had to change the browser tab already to the instruments and already clicked that instrument to select it... then it´s far easier to just drag it 1 cm over to the arranger instead of now memorize a given keyboard shortcut and having to find and to press it...

In this case the keyboard shortcut is more cumbersome than drag´n drop as you have done 95% of the necessary work already...

That´s far better in Reaper...

i respect that totally but for me, i'd rather use keycommands wherever i can, in every DAW i use, instead of (which i find tedious) mouse dragging.
Cause I find using keycommands faster dan mouse dragging.
I am aware that S1 is "famous" and "loved" about it's many drag-drop functionality but i honestly have nothing with that type of workflow.(or in any piece of software whatsoever).
It's not fast enough for me, i really hate mouse dragging, LOL.

But for everyone another choice of preferred workflow ofcourse.

vanhaze4000 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:24 am - In Browser, choose an Instrument plugin.
(BTW: You can focus the Instruments section of the Browser by using the command "Show Instruments", assigned to a keyshortcut.
- Give focus back to Song window, for example by leftmouse click on an area of the Song Window.
- Now, Use the command "Insert Selected Intrument", assigned to a shortcut, which you can find in the Keyshortcuts List.
Outcome: An instrument Track is created with the choosen Instrument plugin inserted on that Instrument Track.

Hope this helps !
Interesting that I missed this macro command whilst adding the remote browser buttons....

I think the original premise of what was asked for was to be able to add instruments without even needing to view the browser at all because well, it doesn't detach currently, and of course if one wants to add instruments I.E. actual Instruments, (Not VST effects which Presonus has confusingly called 'Instruments' vie the consoles side panel menu) vie the Console Mixer and that includes the whole sequencer window as well...

Leading onto this, and directing this at the Presonus developers, in regard to the way the macro manager system functions currently, I find the macro bar whilst useful, with vast array of macros to choose from, is still annoyingly limited. You can't create your own custom macro bar, without clogging up or deleting macros from existing macro bars. An added a podcast macro bar...why can't you let users create their own and add them as needed ? ( Edit, you can create your own custom macro bar... but creating new groups and running out of space in existing ones, still remains as there is no scrolling of buttons and tabs). As someone that has been building entire GUI interfaces from scratch with another German based product, Maxon's Cinema 4D with it's powerful customisation of buttons and tabs..there's virtually no limits, with how many things you can add or where to place them. Studio One is almost there and shares many similarities to Cinema 4D when it comes to icon creation but it's held back by basic functionality that it really needs in this area. I'm not expecting Reaper here... just basic but important things for those that use Studio One.

To expand on the first paragraph in regard to plugins, I think there should be a way to assign specific plugins to a macro button which of course can be triggered by a key/key combo. That would negate the need to open the browser and navigate to specific ones and drag them across, or even add them from an additional pop up menu. Hovering over these buttons would then provide a text listing or image preview.. that leads me to how I think that plugins should have the option to provide a preview image when in text mode, so as you scroll through them, an image should show up next to it. This should be applied particularly to the console mixer's plugins which are primarily text
based.

Directing this at Presonus devs. A right click menu option to access the browser as it does in many programs should be added to speed up workflow. It's fine if one is happy to have the browser open most of the time so people can pick and choose what they need but, for others.. and given the unsightly way you've added the next to useless 'Shop' tab which takes priority over the Pool Tab, and should be removable from view entirely by the user... a pop out browser should be implemented, and ideally with a keyboard command as well..

Studio One has a great drag and drop workflow, but they need to glue all this other shit together, to make Studio One unbeatable as a DAW, in the 2020's.

An oh.. just to add...I'd really like to see a video strip on the main arrangement...so I have at least some visual reference of where audio starts and ends and can be edited.
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

THE INTRANCER wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:28 pm

Hope this helps !
Interesting that I missed this macro command whilst adding the remote browser buttons....

I think the original premise of what was asked for was to be able to add instruments without even needing to view the browser at all because well, it doesn't detach currently, and of course if one wants to add instruments I.E. actual Instruments, (Not VST effects which Presonus has confusingly called 'Instruments' vie the consoles side panel menu) vie the Console Mixer and that includes the whole sequencer window as well...

Leading onto this, and directing this at the Presonus developers, in regard to the way the Macro manger functions currently, I find the Macro Bar whilst useful, with vast array of macro's to choose from, is still annoyingly limited. You can't create your own custom macro bar, without clogging up or deleting macros from existing macro bars. They added a podcast macro bar...why can't you let users create their own and add them as needed ? Creating new groups and running out of space in existing ones, doesn't help that situation. As someone that has been building entire GUI interfaces from scratch with another German based product Maxon's Cinema 4D with it's powerful customisation of buttons and tabs..there's virtually no limits, with how many things you can add or where to place them. Studio One is almost there and shares many similarities to Cinema 4D when it comes to icon creation but held back by basic functionality that it really needs in this area. I'm not expecting Reaper here... just basic important but things for those that use Studio One.

To expand on the first paragraph in regard to plugins, I think there should be a way to assign specific plugins to a Macro button which of course can be triggered by a key/key combo. That would negate the need to open the browser and navigate to specific ones and drag them across, or even add them from an additional pop up menu. Hovering over these buttons would then provide a text listing or image preview.. that leads me to how I think that plugins should have the option to provide a preview image when in text mode, so as you scroll through them, an image should show up next to it. This should be applied particularly to the Console Mixer's plugins which are primarily text
based.

Directing this at Presonus devs. A right click option to access the browser as it does in many programs should be added to speed up workflow. It's fine if one is happy to have the browser open most of the time so they can pick and choose what they need but, for others.. and given the unsightly way you've added the next to useless 'Shop' tab which takes priority over the Pool Tab, and should be removable from view entirely by the user... a pop out browser should be implemented, and ideally with a keyboard command as well..

Studio One has a great drag and drop workflow, but they need to glue all this other shit together, to make Studio One unbeatable as a DAW, in the 2020's.

An oh.. just to add...I'd really like to see a video strip on the main arrangement...so I have at least some visual reference of where audio starts and ends and can be edited.
Presonus Developers don't listen to you. Trust me...

beatmangler443 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:53 pm
THE INTRANCER wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:28 pm

Hope this helps !

Leading onto this, and directing this at the Presonus developers, in regard to the way the Macro manger functions currently, I find the Macro Bar whilst useful, with vast array of macro's to choose from, is still annoyingly limited. You can't create your own custom macro bar, without clogging up or deleting macros from existing macro bars. They added a podcast macro bar...why can't you let users create their own and add them as needed ? Creating new groups and running out of space in existing ones, doesn't help that situation. As someone that has been building entire GUI interfaces from scratch with another German based product Maxon's Cinema 4D with it's powerful customisation of buttons and tabs..there's virtually no limits, with how many things you can add or where to place them. Studio One is almost there and shares many similarities to Cinema 4D when it comes to icon creation but held back by basic functionality that it really needs in this area. I'm not expecting Reaper here... just basic important but things for those that use Studio One.

To expand on the first paragraph in regard to plugins, I think there should be a way to assign specific plugins to a Macro button which of course can be triggered by a key/key combo. That would negate the need to open the browser and navigate to specific ones and drag them across, or even add them from an additional pop up menu. Hovering over these buttons would then provide a text listing or image preview.. that leads me to how I think that plugins should have the option to provide a preview image when in text mode, so as you scroll through them, an image should show up next to it. This should be applied particularly to the Console Mixer's plugins which are primarily text
based.

Directing this at Presonus devs. A right click option to access the browser as it does in many programs should be added to speed up workflow. It's fine if one is happy to have the browser open most of the time so they can pick and choose what they need but, for others.. and given the unsightly way you've added the next to useless 'Shop' tab which takes priority over the Pool Tab, and should be removable from view entirely by the user... a pop out browser should be implemented, and ideally with a keyboard command as well..

Glue what all together?

Presonus should focus on the producer/songwriter market I think. I have that and Logic X. Ableton, Imageline are eating it up right now lol. Watch for NI. Just saw this today "Our ultimate goal is to get to a point where you can produce tracks start to finish in MASCHINE and we will continue working towards this point step by step, one feature at a time. I’m looking very much forward to the journey ahead of us and I hope that the upcoming release will be a welcome workflow addition to many of you!"

It's over when NI allow you to do full songs in Maschine using Komplete Kontrol/Maschine. Speaking for those that produce for artist especially pop/electronic/rnb/hip hop.

beatmangler443 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:53 pm Presonus Developers don't listen to you. Trust me...
You are actually quite wrong there...they do listen, and have on multiple occasions to the things I want fixed and implemented over the years... I have a few contacts/friends through FB, that work for Presonus as well, no..not moderators or any associates to mods, actual Presonus employee's, so my requests can be fast tracked. One example know here on this forum was the omission of the Hi-DPI switch on version 4 of the program... It was implemented again within a few months of release. But Presonus are not deaf, to forums either...as has been mentioned many times on live streams with the release of new versions...

If you want something, you always need to speak up, and make your voice heard.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

rmacattack wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:03 pm Presonus should focus on the producer/songwriter market I think. I have that and Logic X. Ableton, Imageline are eating it up right now lol. Watch for NI. Just saw this today "Our ultimate goal is to get to a point where you can produce tracks start to finish in MASCHINE and we will continue working towards this point step by step, one feature at a time. I’m looking very much forward to the journey ahead of us and I hope that the upcoming release will be a welcome workflow addition to many of you!"

It's over when NI allow you to do full songs in Maschine using Komplete Kontrol/Maschine. Speaking for those that produce for artist especially pop/electronic/rnb/hip hop.
Honestly, NI are pretty much a threat to nobody when it comes to current DAWs on the market, even with their controllers at hand, and in case you didn't know, Native Instruments has had a bit of a personnel crisis in the past year with lay-offs, so I wouldn't expect anything quick to come with them...They have been exceptionally quiet compared to previous years.. Image Line isn't a bed of roses either, with its contradiction of conventions which personally as dance music producer I've found to be forever infuriating. Studio One is essentially an all round DAW that sits in the middle of the floor that grabs all the other good bits of other DAWS that scurry around in their corners doing their thing for who they think their target market is, but in a way that caters to all producers regardless of the music they create and hardware they have for the most part.

I just found out you can use multiple/different io devices in the same project with S1! Not sure how I missed that for several years but it’s very useful.I just got a dt27 drum kit and I can select that for multitrack drums over usb for the input...just thought I would mention it here in case anyone else had missed this!

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/studio ... interfaces
Last edited by SLiC on Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I wish Presonus updated their EQ.

Studio one needs a better browser for tagging samples for v 5
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

trusampler wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:23 am Studio one needs a better browser for tagging samples for v 5
Having just become an XO Drum convert I would tend to agree, new ways to find relevant samples (group by tempo, group by key, group by style...) makes life much easier than random auditioning.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

rmacattack wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:03 pmIt's over when NI allow you to do full songs in Maschine using Komplete Kontrol/Maschine. Speaking for those that produce for artist especially pop/electronic/rnb/hip hop.
You can already do that with Live + Push and I don't see other DAWs dying...
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Any experience with Fat Channel Collection v1?
It can be gotten via JRR Shop for 120-something USD.
Are each of them distinctive enough?

https://www.presonus.com/products/fat-c ... collection
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Last edited by LawrenceF on Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”