General questions on Reaper

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

fluffy_little_something wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:30 pm That's my problem with Reaper, it seems so confusing, there are options and menus everywhere, hard to find what one is looking for :?
Try Reatraction - it's a simplified reaper config set/skin.menu set designed for beginners. Exactly for your sort of situation. WHich was the situation I was in...

coolbass wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:17 pm
dupont wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:36 am
fluffy_little_something wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:23 pm
dupont wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:17 pm Reaper is a great DAW but not compatible with some plugins.
There is a bug with stuck midi notes and plugins GUI refresh.
How does that show? Hard to imagine the stuck midi note problem when people use Reaper particularly because it handles massive projects so well.

And which plugins are not compatible?
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=35196
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php ... tuck+notes
stuck notes with tyrell N6, reported many times
GUI refresh lazzy with microtonic plugin
I have hundreds of plugins, every single one is compatible.
The thread you posted is 10 years old. It is irrelevant.

And the stuck midi notes thread is also from a few years back and not clear at all.
Stuck note has still not been solved, see this morning tread of a Reaper user complain.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=212761

dupont wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:58 am
coolbass wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:17 pm
dupont wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:36 am
fluffy_little_something wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:23 pm
dupont wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:17 pm Reaper is a great DAW but not compatible with some plugins.
There is a bug with stuck midi notes and plugins GUI refresh.
How does that show? Hard to imagine the stuck midi note problem when people use Reaper particularly because it handles massive projects so well.

And which plugins are not compatible?
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=35196
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php ... tuck+notes
stuck notes with tyrell N6, reported many times
GUI refresh lazzy with microtonic plugin
I have hundreds of plugins, every single one is compatible.
The thread you posted is 10 years old. It is irrelevant.

And the stuck midi notes thread is also from a few years back and not clear at all.
Stuck note has still not been solved, see this morning tread of a Reaper user complain.
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=212761
Reading that thread tells you that it's not a well defined or easily repeatable problem. Every DAW in existence has had some long term difficult to resolve bugs. People talk about not having midi problems with Ableton, really? Because, for me, getting Ableton to sync to anything using midi clock is never going to happen reliably. Live was unsyncable until Ableton developed Link.

I can't say that I've never had stuck notes in Reaper, but I've had stuck notes in EVERY SINGLE DAW that I use at some point or another. It's part and parcel with the midi spec. If I were to have to think "which DAWs were the worst", I'd probably put Cubase at the top of that list and Reason at the bottom. Reaper and Live would be in the middle. Reason also has fewer problems than Ableton syncing (prior to link), but at the same time, had a cold crash problem with syncing at one point.

To say that it is "incompatible with some plugins" because of this is a gross overstatement. It is incompatible with some plugins on YOUR system. Until it's clear where that bug is coming from, it's hard to say exactly where the bug lies and what is incompatible with what.

People are still reporting stuck notes, this is true. That it is general and widespread is not necessarily true. I don't think that you have any data on that. I use Reaper every single day and I use it with dodgy midi sources (PXT General). You'd think that I'd notice stuck midi notes, but I don't. In fact, this thread is the first that I've heard of it.

Such is the nature of intermittent faults. They can take years to fix and the Reaper team is small. However, they can also take years to fix even when the team is large.

I get that people don't want to interact with devs in trying to fix bugs. I don't either. I remember sending a bug report to some plugin vendor, I don't recall which, about U/I problems with their plugin in Reaper. It only happened with their plugin. They wanted me to actively interact with them to try and solve why it was happening, yeah, I don't have time for that, sorry. I just reported the bug, now you know. Eventually it got fixed because it was a Reaper issue with Windows U/I scaling and it was only a problem if you were trying to scale your screen up on Windows 7. So, like the stuck midi notes problem, it was affecting me, but, at the time 4K monitors were not so widespread so not everyone had that particular problem.

So, again, back to your claim of incompatibility, I don't notice the problem with Tyrel N6, so it's your problem and some other people's problem, but it's not necessarily "not compatible" any more than it wasn't the case that Reaper was not "not compatible" with the plugin that I was using that had U/I problems with Windows scaling.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If I knew what specific scenario is causing the problem, I would try to reproduce that stuck-note bug...

fluffy_little_something wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:28 pm Crazy, and a bit unfair towards the competition :?
It's a different business model, basically. Snuff up the former Sonar users, and freebie hobbyists, and try to get them to use the Bandlab services. Nothing crazy or unfair about it. Just business.

Sort of like desktop computer OS's these days. Basically free, and there to make people use stores, services, and the cloud.

fluffy_little_something wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:15 pm Weird, well, I will get used to it :hihi:
I'm so used to Reaper it's everything else that's weird now.. been using it more or less solely since 2007.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Why does it say 128 in the PDC column for one synth and 0 for another? 8)

fluffy_little_something wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:33 pm Why does it say 128 in the PDC column for one synth and 0 for another? 8)
One synth has a latency of 128 samples, the other one has no latency.
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Hm, I assume it is positive when a synth doesn't have latency?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”