Cakewalk at AES 2018 NY

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It do seems that Cakewalk is going places with BandLab Technologies. :tu: :tu:

https://aesny18.mapyourshow.com/7_0/exh ... ExhID=3766
DB

DB

That's cool, thanks for sharing! I'm glad they're getting the word out.

I think I'll be downloading it soon, since they've added some features that I don't even have in Sonar Platinum now, and especially since we can run both DAWs side by side. There's really nothing to lose in trying it out.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

I'm really happy about that. I think the Cakewalk brand has been hurt badly lately and networking events such as this one are a great way to revert that. Lots of hardware companies attend AES so maybe we could see some interesting hardware integration in the future.

Danilo Villanova wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:12 pm I'm really happy about that. I think the Cakewalk brand has been hurt badly lately and networking events such as this one are a great way to revert that. Lots of hardware companies attend AES so maybe we could see some interesting hardware integration in the future.
Definitely! Although, with Bandlab still giving everything away--even after paying several million bucks for Cakewalk--you gotta wonder how they can afford to be at AES in the first place. But hey--more power to 'em!

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

planetearth wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:39 pm
Danilo Villanova wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:12 pm I'm really happy about that. I think the Cakewalk brand has been hurt badly lately and networking events such as this one are a great way to revert that. Lots of hardware companies attend AES so maybe we could see some interesting hardware integration in the future.
Definitely! Although, with Bandlab still giving everything away--even after paying several million bucks for Cakewalk--you gotta wonder how they can afford to be at AES in the first place. But hey--more power to 'em!

Steve
Exactly. Everything about their behaviour so far speaks of long-term vision.

planetearth wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:39 pm Although, with Bandlab still giving everything away--even after paying several million bucks for Cakewalk--you gotta wonder how they can afford to be at AES in the first place. But hey--more power to 'em!

Steve
How do you know what was paid for the Cakewalk assets ?

Where is your proof of the exact figure ?

I'd hate to think that you were just pulling a number out of your arse :wink:
No auto tune...

digitalboytn wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:18 am
planetearth wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:39 pm Although, with Bandlab still giving everything away--even after paying several million bucks for Cakewalk--you gotta wonder how they can afford to be at AES in the first place. But hey--more power to 'em!

Steve
How do you know what was paid for the Cakewalk assets ?

Where is your proof of the exact figure ?

I'd hate to think that you were just pulling a number out of your arse :wink:
:roll:
I didn't post an "exact figure" and I have nothing to prove to you, but in one post I read when Bandlab bought Cakewalk's IP, someone said they had paid "several million" dollars for all of Cakewalk's assets, except for some third-party instruments or instruments/effects that Cakewalk did not own entirely. I also read about it in a post by Music Radar.

And what difference does any of this make to you?! Were you going to buy Cakewalk's ashes and try to make something of it? No? Then really, what's your point here?

I'd hate to think you were just being an arse.

:roll:

Steve

I read somewhere that someone said that his mother said....

You had no definitive proof what was paid for the Cakewalk IP,but yet you stated a figure like it was fact...

Your reference was nothing more than hearsay....gossip 101...

Uninformed and misguided comments can do a lot of damage...

And quite often,people are sued for making them :wink:

I'm just trying to save you the embarrassment and cost of a lawsuit :!:
No auto tune...

My understanding from what I have read is that Cakewalk and it's assets was acquired at a 'fire sale' price, nowhere near 'several million'. It's not like Gibson was off loading a successful, profitable asset. It was in fact loosing Gibson money every year they owned it, as it did previously under Roland, all common knowledge. There are actually several threads on the Cakewalk forums which link to a published article that shows the financial position of Cakewalk under Roland if you care to search for it.

Gibson in fact propped up Cakewalk and allowed it to survive 4 or 5 years longer than it would otherwise have without Gibson's intervention. Craig Anderton says as much himself on the Cakewalk forums. I doubt Gibson would have off loaded an asset that was reaping in the money considering the situation they themselves were in, what they would do, and what they did do was cut loose the dead wood, stuff that was just draining money from the coffers.

It is my understanding that both Roland and Gibson had plans of integrating Sonar with it's hardware, Roland it's own, and with Gibson under the Tascam banner, neither ended up happening.

It's interesting that Cakewalk is now free, no one else wanted it after Gibson shut it down, and why would they? it had been a loosing proposition for both Gibson and Roland before it.

Mr planet earth....

I've searched the web looking for a reference to the sale price of the Cakewalk assets and alas,I have not been able to find a single one...

So would you please be kind enough to direct us to the source of your information ?

There's nothing quite like confirming the facts :)
No auto tune...

Nevertheless, we all know how their balance between income and expenses is. Good to see they were able to make it to AES.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

It's nice to see they're trying to get the word out and hopefully connect with other companies. I just realized that sounds like something you'd day about a friend that was dumped by their significant other, "it's nice to see Bob/Jane getting out and trying to meet new people."

If anyone's interested in the Cake thread and financials Grim mentioned I think this is it:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/m/tm.aspx?m=3690763
https://www.roland.com/RolandComSite/me ... 130924.pdf

digitalboytn wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:51 am I read somewhere that someone said that his mother said....

You had no definitive proof what was paid for the Cakewalk IP,but yet you stated a figure like it was fact...

Your reference was nothing more than hearsay....gossip 101...

Uninformed and misguided comments can do a lot of damage...

And quite often,people are sued for making them :wink:

I'm just trying to save you the embarrassment and cost of a lawsuit :!:
Seriously, how stupid are you? I never said I had "definitive proof", I never "stated a figure". I didn't bother archiving the message I read, because I didn't think some jerk would demand proof six months after I read it. (In my defense, I thought you people had more interesting lives than you apparently do.)

Do you want to sue me? Try it. You're only interested in making some asinine argument based upon things no one said, so this should be a short trial.

I don't know what your real problem is; maybe you are just an arse. Absolutely none of this affected you or involved you in any way. And until I say something that actually does involve you, I'm not going to waste any more time dealing with you, regardless of how pathetic you become while chasing an argument you created that doesn't even involve you.

Or maybe I'll just go through your posts and demand proof for everything you've claimed. :roll:

Steve

planetearth wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:29 pm Seriously, how stupid are you?
I must be really stupid because I just can't find anything anywhere that details how much Bandlab paid for the Cakewalk assets...

And I'm a curious soul...

So if you can please just post the links to the places on the web where you read these figures,I will be most relieved :tu:

I'm not demanding proof as you have written...

I am politely asking you to direct me to the sources that you quoted..

But I didn't write the words about reading those figures online....

You did :wink:
planetearth wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:48 am I didn't post an "exact figure" and I have nothing to prove to you, but in one post I read when Bandlab bought Cakewalk's IP, someone said they had paid "several million" dollars for all of Cakewalk's assets, except for some third-party instruments or instruments/effects that Cakewalk did not own entirely. I also read about it in a post by Music Radar.

Steve
You also wrote that Bandlab paid several million dollars for Cakewalk...

Once again...your words...not mine !
planetearth wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:39 pm Although, with Bandlab still giving everything away--even after paying several million bucks for Cakewalk--you gotta wonder how they can afford to be at AES in the first place.

Steve
And when I questioned where you pulled these figures from, you started attacking me...

With absolutely no proof to back up your wild claims...
planetearth wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:29 pm
Do you want to sue me? Try it. You're only interested in making some asinine argument based upon things no one said, so this should be a short trial.

Steve
This is another uninformed comment that you flippantly make...

You see Mr Stevie...You actually wrote the words that I quoted and they are there for all to see...if you had just said them, that would have been hearsay and that is not admissible in a court of law....but because you wrote them and they are directly attributable to you, then you have to take responsibility for those words and that is where the "short trial" becomes a little more complicated...and not in your favour :wink:

So Stevie..I'm happy to keep going,but my advice would be that it's time for you to stop before you embarrass yourself any further :party:

Ohh...Before I forget....Serious kudos to Bandlab for getting Cakewalk back on a positive trajectory :tu:
No auto tune...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”