Live -> Bitwig - anyone looked back?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

elxsound wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:16 pm Disclaimer, I don't care much for the bashing that comes next, but the most replies you get on this topic will come from the same 3-4 people who always respond on this topic and they feed off each other bashing anyone that contradicts them. So I don't know how much honesty you expect to get out of this topic.
Yeah, so true, anyways, antic604 is the most honest Live/Bitwig guy on this forum, helpful on Facebook also, he is the first one to call duck a duck, always goes extra mile to help out, so yeah. :tu:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

xbitz wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:26 pm yepp S1 also good, there is quite good trance series on SonicAcademy
I felt the same with Reason, it development just wasn't cutting it in the way I wanted back in 2014 with it's slow workflow (then version 8 came out, which I didn't like), and the reason why I switch to Studio One. I thought it was funny seeing his track with all his automation lines and patterns as it was pretty much the same technique I used in this old SO3 track from a few years ago I updated in April. For fun, I created a music video for it with some clips I filmed. I had originally set myself a challenge to create a full track in less than a day.. and ended up with pretty much this in 8 hours (save for a couple of hours polishing off this year).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9PbZKSn4UI

To the OP, If it was me looking at Ableton or Bitwig, I wouldn't regret going to Bitwig as Ableton for me from the very first days I set eye's on it, I found it's GUI to be like a dead corpse, flat, lifeless and without a soul. Growing up as a kid in the 1980's I though I had escaped the 2D game era..Versions of Live Lite 8 have came with my audio interfaces. Installed them, played with them, then uninstall them soon after, simply because of the UI. Bitwig is generally more pleasing to my eyes but it's dark GUI is somewhat difficult in sunlit rooms, so one would need to close the blinds or curtains to see stuff properly.

If you're looking to create dance music Studio One 4, is even more focused on it now than..than it's ever been. There's one or two issue's with it (but I'm sure they will be fixed in a couple of weeks in the next update that's due soon).
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

DrGonzo wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:11 pm
So you guys aren't missing anything from Live? At all?

/C
That is really such a subjective thing... and of course it is self selecting... the people who use Live, who tried Bitwig and too much missed X, Y or Z features stayed with Live.

For me, MPE support in Bitwig made the switch decision. I was not unhappy with Live. There were aspects of it I didn't like and so I adjusted my workflow accordingly. For example, using M4L significantly increased the number of crashes I had so over time I mostly stopped using it.

I think every DAW these days is amazingly capable and every one of them has capability that a couple decades ago people only dreamed of. If any one of the well known DAW's were the only one available to me, I would be able to fulfill my musical interests with it.

Zexila wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:23 pm
elxsound wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:16 pm Disclaimer, I don't care much for the bashing that comes next, but the most replies you get on this topic will come from the same 3-4 people who always respond on this topic and they feed off each other bashing anyone that contradicts them. So I don't know how much honesty you expect to get out of this topic.
Yeah, so true, anyways, antic604 is the most honest Live/Bitwig guy on this forum, helpful on Facebook also, he is the first one to call duck a duck, always goes extra mile to help out, so yeah. :tu:
Hey, that's very nice of you :oops: Thanks! :) :hug:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:29 pm
Zexila wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:23 pm
Hey, that's very nice of you :oops: Thanks! :) :hug:
Thank you for being you, you were/are tremendous help to me and bunch of others. :hug:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Live has wider user base and MAY have a longer life than Bws.. Personally I like Bws more because of million tiny things that make workflow better but... Just a matter of taste. I just downloaded and installed Live just to notice that damn, I don't like it as much as I like Bitwig.

So an answer to original question = Yes I did the jump. And yes I looked back just to notice that I don't miss Live :P

pdxindy wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:10 pm I think every DAW these days is amazingly capable and every one of them has capability that a couple decades ago people only dreamed of.
This is very true, which in turn can make even the smallest detail a potential dealbreaker.

OK. I subscribed to Bitwig for one year so let's see where this goes.

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Distorted Horizon wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:03 pm Live has wider user base and MAY have a longer life than Bws..
Yeah, Ableton Live is not going anywhere. It has a massive userbase.

It is over the past year that I have started to feel like Bitwig was getting over the hump. Both in becoming solid and increasing the userbase. I haven't the slightest idea of the sales figures, but based on the number of new users showing up in the Bitwig forum and the significant increase in discussion of it, I would guess it is doing fairly well these days.

Distorted Horizon wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:03 pm Live has wider user base and MAY have a longer life than Bws
I think the established large user base and popularity of Live make Ableton spoiled and lazy.
I mean they have much more resources than Bitwig but the development is so slow.
It is not like the old days. There is a big competition and lots of choices than ever before. New and easier ways of doing things.Even PH has added vst to Reason to be attractive. Most companies aware of it and try to stay competitive and have more communication with the user base. I mean look at FL Studio beta forum and look at Live's. Bitwig is aware of Live's shortcomings and fulfilling them and adding original ideas along the way. And making it fast. Ableton is the Snob of the DAW world.

Someone somewhere (I think Reddit?) hypothesised that years ago there was a "silent" agreement between Ableton and Steinberg that they won't compete with each other, i.e. Live won't add audio comping, advanced MIDI editing tools, etc. while Cubase will not have clip launcher :D

While the idea seemed ridiculous to me at first, you gotta wonder how come years (decades!) have passed by and those things - obviously very useful for lots of users & often requested - are not getting implemented? Surely by now they could've rewritten the audio engines several times over if that was the problem?

Apparently Bitwig wasn't taking part in this agreement, since they're a new kid on the block so they can do whatever they want :)

j/k, or maybe not :P
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

DrGonzo wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:38 am Guys... yesterday I spent some quality time with Bitwig and I remember what I liked about it back at v1. There is something nice about the UI. But boy if it doesn't confuse the hell out of me. It's like when I moved from Cubase to Live. It was total confusion - but I managed to make my best music ever during that time so I am ready for the ride.

For you guys who moved over from Live to Bitwig - what was the most confusing parts about the transition? Or to put it from a different angle - when did Bitwig "click" for you?

/C
It is confusing ..I struggled at first but then one day I read the (excellent and well written) manual cover to cover in one sitting and everything clicked from then on.

Last edited by xbitz on Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Bitwig Sampler combined with the modulation system and voice stacking has become a fantastic sound design tool!

I agree, however, it's missing "slice mode" and multiple filter types like Ableton Live's Simpler has.
Everything else sampler-wise Bitwig 2.4 already have.

trancema wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:55 pm I agree, however, it's missing "slice mode" and multiple filter types like Ableton Live's Simpler has.
Everything else sampler-wise Bitwig 2.4 already have.
It has 2 LP, 2 HP 2 BP and Notch...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”