Waveform 10 vs other DAWs?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Waveform Pro

Tracktion Waveform 10 is an absolute treat when I see what’s included.

https://www.tracktion.com/products/waveform
I for one love that the $69 basic upgrade does include Antares Auto-Tune Access ($99) as well as those remarkable AirWindows effects. Brilliant move.

Why have the Airwindows plugins got such tiny knobs? It's like the space that should be being used functionally is wasted up by that square behind the knob.

Steve Bolivar wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:17 am
fedexnman wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:14 pmWow .....
Beat me to it.

I don't think it really makes much sense to compare prices on DAWs based on what additional content is included. I use Waveform and got S1 during Xmas sale for $177. I would have gladly paid half and skipped all the extra plugins and libraries. Between iZotope, AAS, Komplete Ultimate, various others and VST Buzz deals I have all the additional content I need. At least Tracktion gives you the option of buying less of what you don't need.

My gripe about S1: you can't roll out loops in the arrange page by simply grabbing the end of a loop and dragging.
Yeah , I think u mouse click on the track loop and hold Shift and hold D and it'll roll it out for u I believe ? It's not quite as savy ? Lolz

Steve Bolivar wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:17 am use Waveform and got S1 during Xmas sale for $177. I would have gladly paid half and skipped all the extra plugins and libraries.
The Studio One upgrades are less pricey than the Waveforms ones... you get free - and often really significant - updates for about three years. And this from a reputable stable company such as Presonus, not such an erratic vendor as Tracktion/RMS is (and always has been).
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Never got to grips with Studio One while Waveform was (and has been ever since) an instant pleasure to use. Also love the way they continue to add quality stuff I really appreciate, like Melodyne, Auto-Tune, AirWindows, BioTek and Retromod. On top of that, I find their support second to none, while I haven’t been very pleased with Presonus, TBH.

jens wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:47 pm I have Waveform 9 - and can't even sell my license for a reasonable sum because it's not worth more than V7 anymore thanks to their pricing policy.

I also have Melodyne 4 Studio and don't give a rat's arse about Autotune (or any other included content, for that matter). Never asked for it either - and they call it "basic" themselves after all.

They can really go and f**k themselves. They upped the upgrade price with each new version (i.e. each f**king year).
I budgeted the expected $59 for the upgrade, so it is annoying to find out it's $69, especially when the added plugins and synth are all worse than plugins I already have. Already have Melodyne Studio, Autotune 8, bunch of other Antares plugins, lots of good saturation plugins, good subtractive synths... so I agree it would be better if we could forego these unwanted add-ons for a lower upgrade price. I might just wait until it goes on sale.

Well maybe St. Patrick's Day will sheeeeeeeet a Sale

Steve Bolivar wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:17 am RE:S1 [...] I would have gladly paid half and skipped all the extra plugins and libraries.
That's true for me now. When I first bought S1 Pro I wanted all the stuff to check it out, but now I realize I don't use any of it, nor the Waveform stuff either. S1 has the better natural samples but still not quite good enough for pro production IMO, and W9 has stuff more for EDM but that's not my style. Loops are also not my thing. Plugins: W9 is just decent with the DAW Essentials, S1 is ok-to-good but I don't use the plugins at all simply because I have other great plugins free or commercial.

I would like to upgrade to S1 v4, but $150 is a steep ask (I'll wait). On the other hand, they do release free updates for years, vs Tracktion that charges for the minor upgrades every year. Also for Tracktion it matters more to stay on the latest version because their software is more buggy.

For everyone that already has Melodyne,
If the upgrade comes with a new license, you can sell that license to help finance your purchase. An unused Melodyne Essential license goes for about $40-45.

Anyone knows if a Waveform upgrade purchase comes with a new Melodyne license? It did for me last year when I upgraded to W9 Standard from T7 (and I sold that license 'cause I already have Melodyne Assistant).

aMUSEd wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:55 am Why have the Airwindows plugins got such tiny knobs? It's like the space that should be being used functionally is wasted up by that square behind the knob.
I see this as a huge missed opportunity. They are trying to be cute making the plugins look like a tiny knob on a circuit board, but ultimately these plugins are laid out roughly the same way they would appear without a GUI in S1. Ultimately they seem of lower usability than just having no GUI at all, since in S1 the knob is bigger and it shows the setting number at all times.

Also, are these just the free plugins anyway? So what's being gained here other than a marketing line? I hope they are at least paying Air Windows a representative fee.

air-windows-studio-one.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

fedexnman wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:57 am Well maybe St. Patrick's Day will sheeeeeeeet a Sale
Good idea, my 30 day demo will last until St. Patrick's Day and they had a 15% off sale for it last year, which would bump the price back down to the $59 I'd budgeted for.

Before there was Reaper. Traction and Energy XT used to be the indie DAWs to beat on KVR. I’m glad Tracktion is still on the market but it lost its momentum and never regained after Mackie bought it.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

I used Tracktion as my main DAW from T4 to T7 but I haven't had a reason to upgrade since T7 was released. Now my time is split 50/50 between T7 and REAPER. Tracktion have a bad habit of only addressing bugs in paid updates and wasting development resources on plugins rather than adding meaningful changes to the DAW itself - the program also seems kinda rudderless at the moment with features being added then abandoned. $69 isn't a lot for an upgrade but Waveform 10 doesn't offer me any greater value than REAPER. I really liked the original single-panel UI concept but as the program's gotten increasingly cluttered, even that USP has fallen by the wayside.

jochicago wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:36 am I hope they are at least paying Air Windows a representative fee.
:lol: at a price of $499 (89%+ of Cubase Pro) you'd think that, right? And it would fill my heart with warmth if they did, Chris would deserve it. But the source for Airwindows plugins is on GitHub with MIT license, so the ROLI/JUCE guys can do whatever they want with it, as long as they include the Airwindows license text and copyright notice somewhere.
Confucamus.

AFAIK, Tracktion is not owned by ROLI. Jules (Storer) sold JUCE to ROLI, but Tracktion (the company) was not part of that deal.
ABLETON LIVE 12 & PUSH2
Soundcloud: Nation of Korea vs Shitty Dog

Fleer wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 12:26 am Tracktion Waveform 10 is an absolute treat when I see what’s included.

https://www.tracktion.com/products/waveform
I for one love that the $69 basic upgrade does include Antares Auto-Tune Access ($99) as well as those remarkable AirWindows effects. Brilliant move.
I have no need for autotune and the air windows plugins neither...

If they would have put more stability for 2 cents, this would have been a good move...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”