Studio One 4 v Reaper Comparison

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Whilst on youtube, I stumbled on this video.... and before anyone asks, it's not me... the thought of being on camera is too terrifying :D.

Anyway, the video is only around 3 months old and is really a general comparison by this dude. He's not someone I've seen before... but it's quite entertaining to see another's view on such things and whether one identifies with their perspective and any information they mention or gets wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0WJIv6P2bc&t=624s
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Studio One 4 no comparison. If you have an older computer Reaper might be the better choice. Presonus has hardware integration (atom, faderport, interfaces), melodyne (better integration than Reaper), better browser, stock sounds, chord track, scratch pad, and the list goes on.

beatmangler443 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:33 am Studio One 4 no comparison. If you have an older computer Reaper might be the better choice. Presonus has hardware integration (atom, faderport, interfaces), melodyne (better integration than Reaper), better browser, stock sounds, chord track, scratch pad, and the list goes on.
Wrath of KVR in 3... 2.... 1....

rlared wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:51 am ...Wrath of KVR in 3... 2.... 1....
No wrath but the truth...

Every DAW has something unique and so does Reaper...
- I give a sh*t on harware integration
- Melodyne in Reaper will grow bit by bit
- better browser depends on what you are doing... for me for example beats Reaper S1 in this regard because of 2 little things:
a) I like better to have seperate browsers for plugins and samples
b) S1 sample browser does not show the waveform nor does it allow retrigger the sample by keyboard shortcut, which is superhandy for oneshot samples
- got my own samples, plugins etc... so stock sounds are very unimportant to me, while I have to agree that I would like to have a better native sampler integration in Reaper...
- chord track, scratch pad and a few other little things I can agree...
...but Reaper can counter with i.e.
- mouse modifiers,
- sub projects (which are a million times more powerful than scratch pad for me),
- a much bigger "open source" community making tons of useful scripts (something I rarely see for S1),
- a much more powerful midi editor (especially with the use of different scripts)
- even if I hate to use it, but it´s flexibilty and the ability to customize it in any way you like can be a big pro
- real monitoring fx without any weird workarounds...

etc...etc...etc...

Every DAW on the market has it´s strengths and weaknesses, which makes every comparisson pointless...
Only every single person can decide, which weaknesses are acceptable for him/her and which strengths are essential ... so peace... :tu:

I personally dislike these kinds of "versus" videos. Even if the video producer probably has good intentions like this guy appears to, it's always still very subjective and it's very rare that the person doing it knows either application well enough and goes into enough detail to make it of any real practical value.

I could tell from the short video that he doesn't really know Studio One all that well except for the on the surface obvious things and I suspect well versed Reaper users like Ed would say much the same.

For a random example, I know Reaper well enough to know that it could split audio signals (pins) long before Studio One had the channel splitter, but he obviously doesn't know that.

It only ever always leads to many pages of Internet bickering and cherry picking. :box:

LawrenceF wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:28 pm I personally dislike these kinds of "versus" videos. Even if the video producer probably has good ...
I didn´t even watch the vid... it´s always the same... 8)

Agreed. It's always just the marketing blurbs without real substance. Basically click bait usually.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:15 am ... but it's quite entertaining to see another's view on such things and whether one identifies with their perspective and any information they mention or gets wrong.
It's a good video. He tells about his experiences and his view on Studio
One and Reaper.

Though - I would compare only Reaper and Studio One Professional.
The mentions of "Artist" and "Free" are a waste of time.

Also: It's hard to value a DAW due to the GUI and the first appearence
on the screen. You'll know what a DAW can do only if you work on a
complex project with that DAW. And if you do so, the look of the GUI
and the capabilities of "drag and drop" become more and more
unimportant.

Last not least: The fact that Reaper does not come with Soundmodules
and Synths is a great plus. Because I want do decide myself what kind
of Synths and Samplers I use. And there are myriads of them.

What is undoubtly true: Both, Studio One and Reaper, are fantastic DAWs. :tu:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

enroe wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:48 pm
Also: It's hard to value a DAW due to the GUI and the first appearance
on the screen. You'll know what a DAW can do only if you work on a
complex project with that DAW. And if you do so, the look of the GUI
and the capabilities of "drag and drop" become more and more
unimportant.

Last not least: The fact that Reaper does not come with Sound modules
and Synths is a great plus. Because I want do decide myself what kind
of Synths and Samplers I use. And there are myriads of them.

What is undoubtedly true: Both, Studio One and Reaper, are fantastic DAWs. :tu:
I disagree on your first and last point...

Appearance wise, you can certainly judge the value of a DAW based upon it's GUI and first appearance on screen. In fact, this is something you have no actual control over in deciding, it's an automotive response that is made in a matter of nanoseconds. It's from this that your thoughts and reasoning are made in which this is based on. There is no right or wrong...it's just the way it is. It all comes down to the amount of metal processing and that of memory to learn and retain all that information to achieve an objective vie the processes or functions involved to make something happen.

The essence of drag and drop is something we learned from as young as 6 months old, and by the age of 4 where kids consciously understand how to use an IPAD and the system of drag and drop. Trying to get them to understand a complex menu system with 10 to 20 word explanations as Reaper has, isn't. Personally I find it ridiculous that Reapers menus are like that out of the virtual box. But as for the method of Drag & Drop, it's a process of simplicity that once you are use to it, that you will definitely feel the loss of or feel limited by if the DAW you are using is more stripped down in this area, as it's a natural instinctive mental process one learns.

I really don't see how not being given a suite of decent effects and instruments is any benefit. It's like saying to someone that you don't want any cake that's been given to you, when you are starving.
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

THE INTRANCER wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:12 pm The essence of drag and drop is something we learned from as young as 6 months old, and by the age of 4 where kids consciously understand how to use an IPAD and the system of drag and drop.
Studio one, the DAW of choice for all the 4 year old producers.
Or.
Reaper, a Daw for adults to make music with.
Win 10 with Ryzen 5950x, Bitwig 5, too many plugins, Novation Circuit Mono Station and now a lovely Waldorf Blofeld.

Kypresso wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:13 pm Studio one, the DAW of choice for all the 4 year old producers.
Or.

Studio One - Point at the sweet shop you are standing across from when someone asks you in the street where it is.

Reaper - Spend time drawing a map for someone with directions in how to get to the sweet shop.

:hihi:

Kypresso wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:13 pm
THE INTRANCER wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:12 pm The essence of drag and drop is something we learned from as young as 6 months old, and by the age of 4 where kids consciously understand how to use an IPAD and the system of drag and drop.
Or.
I always thought Reaper was the DAW for script kiddies. :P

THE INTRANCER wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:12 pmIt's like saying to someone that you don't want any cake that's been given to you, when you are starving.
When I'm starving, I don't want cake (S1)... I want a real nourishing meal (Reaper).

Kypresso wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:13 pm
Or.
I feel like Reaper is the DAW for people that don't mind driving their car with a smashed window :hihi:

Also the car is a used Reliant Robin. :lol:

Whereas Studio One is a brand new Telsa Model S. Good looking, innovative, easy to use, packed with features to get you to where you're going and seems like a supercar but isn't quite. Also prone to catching fire.
Last edited by Kongru on Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
Signatures are so early 2000s.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”