FL Studio 20.5 | Introducing a new free plugin FLEX

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
FL Studio All Plugins Edition

Distorted Horizon wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:56 am
I believe that's the issue, because you're talking about it as one.

Transistor Bass is a subtractive synthesizer in the style of the legendary Roland TB303™ Bassline synthesizer, but also enhances the concept by offering a number of tweaks not found in the original hardware, together with a guitar distortion, FX and a modern sequencer for fast editing of your bassline patterns.
No we are not saying that at all. It's right there in the quote - bold for your convenience. This language clearly distinguishes Transistor Bass as something new and different from the original.

Further, the UI is clearly not a TB-303 copy. It resembles one (vaguely).

No one, except in this thread, has ever approached us to complain about the issue of control veridicality with the real TB-303. The people who use Transistor Bass are expecting the sound of a TB-303. Not the hand-positions of one.

Regards Scott
Last edited by Image-Line on Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image-Line are proud developers of - FL Studio, FL Studio Mobile & Audio Plugins.

No need to bold me anything since I'm the one who posted that. Unless you want to annoy me.

I'm (for now) happy with IL and the products and only pointed something that gentleclock obviously missed.

Distorted Horizon wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:54 am No need to bold me anything since I'm the one who posted that. Unless you want to annoy me.
Did I misunderstand your post?
Image-Line wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:46 am It was never intended to be a photocopy of a TB-303.
I believe that's the issue, because you're talking about it as one. If you'd stick with that "subtractive synth with 303 sound", there'd be no issues.
You quoted me, and then our marketing, and said the way we were talking about Transistor Bass, in that marketing quote, was leading to false expectations no?

At which point I bolded the part of the post that contradict the assertion you are making.

Let me know where I went wrong.

Regards Scott
Image-Line are proud developers of - FL Studio, FL Studio Mobile & Audio Plugins.

Image-Line wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:36 pm
0degree wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:58 pmThat's fine - I'll be apparently ignoring your products then.

Regards 0degree
That's OK because we don't have any products available you want to buy :)

Its on the to-do, but the to-do never seems to get to VST/AU updates these days.

What you can do is use FL Studio as a VST or AU plugin in any host. The worlds most advanced plugin Wrapper! ;) On-top of that you get to use everything else in FL Studio.

Regards Scott
Ha-ha :wink:
But now seriously - please consider adding this. It's the only thing that stops me from buying FL Studio - I'd love to use it as a secondary DAW. The wrapper is indeed fantastic but I'd love to use FLS as an effect. It would be REALLY useful, pretty please - make a VST Fx wrapper. It's hard to imagine it's a lot of work.
Thanks! :tu:

0degree wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:41 am
Image-Line wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:36 pm
0degree wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:58 pmThat's fine - I'll be apparently ignoring your products then.

Regards 0degree
That's OK because we don't have any products available you want to buy :)

Its on the to-do, but the to-do never seems to get to VST/AU updates these days.

What you can do is use FL Studio as a VST or AU plugin in any host. The worlds most advanced plugin Wrapper! ;) On-top of that you get to use everything else in FL Studio.

Regards Scott
Ha-ha :wink:
But now seriously - please consider adding this. It's the only thing that stops me from buying FL Studio - I'd love to use it as a secondary DAW. The wrapper is indeed fantastic but I'd love to use FLS as an effect. It would be REALLY useful, pretty please - make a VST Fx wrapper. It's hard to imagine it's a lot of work.
Just to clarify - I know the VST wrapper exists and you can use it as a VST instrument but the only missing thing is to make it work as an effect. The current problem is you can drop it as an effect (the VST wrapper is detected as both instrument and effect) but there's no sound you can route to FL Studio which is a bummer. Unless something has changed and I'm not aware of it?

0degree wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:41 am It would be REALLY useful, pretty please - make a VST Fx wrapper. It's hard to imagine it's a lot of work.
I don´t think there is much consumer demand for that and it´s a quite easy workaround for that as you could import everything you´d like to process in FLS in the VSTi´s playlist so I wouldn´t hold my breath on this...

As Scott already mentioned, there is not much interest of IL to make VST/AU in the recent past ... none of their latest plugins got a VST version so my bet would be: This will never happen and you should make friend with that... :tu:

^^^ you can still use

ReaStream
Supports streaming from host to host of audio and/or MIDI over a LAN segment
Supports streaming from different host software on each end
Supports UDP broadcast for streaming one to many (if local network can keep up)

for this https://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Trancit wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:15 am
0degree wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:41 am It would be REALLY useful, pretty please - make a VST Fx wrapper. It's hard to imagine it's a lot of work.
I don´t think there is much consumer demand for that and it´s a quite easy workaround for that as you could import everything you´d like to process in FLS in the VSTi´s playlist so I wouldn´t hold my breath on this...

As Scott already mentioned, there is not much interest of IL to make VST/AU in the recent past ... none of their latest plugins got a VST version so my bet would be: This will never happen and you should make friend with that... :tu:
True, it's like asking Ableton to make their device racks as vst plugins :ud:

xbitz wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:18 am ^^^ you can still use

ReaStream

Thanks XBitz, I'll take a look

Trancit wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:15 am

We're talking about 2 different things here. I'm referring to existing FL Studio VST wrapper for the DAW itself which already exists but can't be used as an effect (only as a synth).

0degree wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:27 am We're talking about 2 different things here. I'm referring to existing FL Studio VST wrapper for the DAW itself which already exists but can't be used as an effect (only as a synth).
No, we don´t... I was just refering to IL´s latest behaviour...

They simply do not touch VST anymore for their DAW/Plugins... so it´s unlikely that they do an additional FX version for the FLS VSTi

ReaStream

Perhaps this could work as well with Melda´s MCompare which is capable to send audio from one instance to another...
I am not sure though if it works too if the second instance is hosted by another VST...
If it works, it should provide lower latencies though...

Trancit wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:46 am

ReaStream

Perhaps this could work as well with Melda´s MCompare which is capable to send audio from one instance to another...
I am not sure though if it works too if the second instance is hosted by another VST...
If it works, it should provide lower latencies though...
Ahh ok, got it. It's too bad because I actually own most of their VST plugins but not the DAW itself, but I'm guessing I'm not the "core" user in this case.

Image-Line wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:00 am
Distorted Horizon wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:54 am No need to bold me anything since I'm the one who posted that. Unless you want to annoy me.
Did I misunderstand your post?
Image-Line wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:46 am It was never intended to be a photocopy of a TB-303.
I believe that's the issue, because you're talking about it as one. If you'd stick with that "subtractive synth with 303 sound", there'd be no issues.
You quoted me, and then our marketing, and said the way we were talking about Transistor Bass, in that marketing quote, was leading to false expectations no?

At which point I bolded the part of the post that contradict the assertion you are making.

Let me know where I went wrong.

Regards Scott
First part was for you. I believed that you were also talking about transistor being an emulation, but checking your message history I noticed that you've been saying all the time that it's not. So my mistake, apologize for that :oops:
Distorted Horizon wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:56 am Transistor Bass is a subtractive synthesizer in the style of the legendary Roland TB303™ Bassline synthesizer, but also enhances the concept by offering a number of tweaks not found in the original hardware, together with a guitar distortion, FX and a modern sequencer for fast editing of your bassline patterns.

Direct quote from https://www.image-line.com/plugins/Transistor+Bass/

So there's nothing to fight here people. Go home and make some music :hug:
And this part was common "stop that pointless arguing" for anyone involved. GCD obviously didn't read the TB description from IL site, and this copy paste might enlighten him a bit 8)

Image-Line wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:46 am
gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:28 am Are you saying that the audio file in the video is abl3 ??
I took the project from zamrate and spend 10 minutes making some tweaks.

Green clip = ABL3 (yours)
Blue clip = Transistor Bass (live, my attempt to match the green audio
Red clip = Transistor Bass (your attempt to match the green audio)

https://youtu.be/xUyGJGZlhMs

So what did you do wrong? Its clear to me you made a mistake in programming, and complained Transistor Bass was nothing like another emulation. I say this because -

1. Your last note should have been a C6 in Transistor Bass but was a C5
2. It does not appear that you spent much effort tweaking Transistor Bass to match your "gold-standard".

I am fairly sure I could get closer to ABL3, and no they don't sound identical. But I would not expect them to. Why?

First, I am no Transistor Bass expert (I am a hack) and tweaked for 10 minutes fairly randomly on controls until they were close. Second, its always very difficult to match exactly another plugin when it is set as a standard without a project and any context (I have no idea how you made the audio presented). If you like I can upload some genuine TB-303 audio and you can try to match it, to see how difficult this is.

As I have mentioned on numerous occasions, if you care to upload genuine TB-303 audio, Transistor Bass can match it. That is all that matters here, not if it sounds like ABL3. Here's Transistor Bass vs a real TB-303. A real TB-303 was our standard, that's what we emulated and for only $79 USD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbZeZzwQwpA

For those complaining about knob scaling, well we decided to make Transistor Bass better, in some ways, than the original. The step sequencer is far more advanced, most synthesis controls can be further tweaked way beyond the original and it integrates perfectly with the FL Studio Piano roll. It was never intended to be a photocopy of a TB-303.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pFYx8QwkLI

Finally, lets not get wrapped around the axle here. Remember the whole point of all this software is to have fun and make music. I am sure Crowd Control wasn't obsessing about how 'authentic' his Transistor Bass sound was, instead he was creating this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oojYSlVU_3s
My first attempt was indeed because I inserted the wrong octave in transistor bass .
I listened to your attempt of replicating the abl3 , and imho the difference is still there , you can clearly hear it in the accent and how the filter decays .
I created a thread dedicated to transistor bass and abl3 .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”