Why you left Bitwig?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pdxindy wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:58 pm
uOpt wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:43 pm The price is more significant (even if it comes out to $0/month) if it is not your main DAW and you use it only occasionally. For me every hour of using Bitwig comes to a pretty substantial price > $30 or somesuch.
So you use Bitwig about 4 hours a year... yeah, that would be a high cost! :lol:
Maybe a bit more than that. But it really is a DAW I have "on file" for occasional experiments. Something that works just fine with some other DAWs such as Logic and Mixbus. The subscription-like model is really unhelpful here.

uOpt wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:24 pm
uOpt wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:43 pm The price is more significant (even if it comes out to $0/month) if it is not your main DAW and you use it only occasionally. For me every hour of using Bitwig comes to a pretty substantial price > $30 or somesuch.
So you use Bitwig about 4 hours a year... yeah, that would be a high cost! :lol:
Maybe a bit more than that. But it really is a DAW I have "on file" for occasional experiments. Something that works just fine with some other DAWs such as Logic and Mixbus. The subscription-like model is really unhelpful here.
Yeah... in that case you have to refrain from upgrading so often... maybe every 2 years which would halve the cost.

pdxindy wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:02 pm
uOpt wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:24 pm
Yeah... in that case you have to refrain from upgrading so often... maybe every 2 years which would halve the cost.
No... it wouldn't make sense to try certain things on bitwig to see how it manages and then do that on outdated releases.

antic604 wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:58 am I personally prefer spending $400 on Live, Bitwig or Reason that reduce to the minimum number of options and choices I need to make and - coincidentally - work for me in terms of overall workflow preference, than shell out $60 for Reaper that I need to mold & shape for it to be barely usable (for my needs, obviously).
Funny I own all four, and I spend most of my time in DP10.

Reaper is amazing, once you set it up the way you like, and yeah that takes some time. Seriously the only feature Reaper is truly missing is a decent Clips, Session View style workflow. Mass credit for there always being a way in Reaper.

I have to say lately it's the big DAWs that interest me, but I'm glad I own the ones I do. I have badly recorded by a friend tracks of two great drummers I know and what you get with Bitwig from what I can tell is REX file type support for their grooves. Live wins this one, allowing you to separate out individual Kick Snare and Hat MIDI REX style tracks. In DP you can send the tempo fluctuation from the drum track to the main Conductor track, so arpeggiators etc. just work.

If there's one area of Bitwig I'm not that impressed with it's the pitch and time stretching of audio. I love all the choices for this in DP, and the IMO more straightforward approach in Live. Reaper is worse than Bitwig this way, but that's not saying a lot.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:23 am
pdxindy wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:07 am
xbitz wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:47 pm
To be honest, Modulat can solve many modulations related issues in AL

maybe only the modulation of the modulated modulators which ones modulate modulated modulators etc. :D is still a problematic one in AL
Modulat is not per voice with Live instruments like Bitwig modulation is per voice with Bitwig instruments.

This is a significant limitation and that is not about complex modulations of modulators modulating modulators (don't know about others but that is something I don't often do). Plus Bitwig's modulation has such a better workflow in very practical ways. This is also not about super complex modulating modulating modulations.
And it doesn't appear that you can adjust a parameter that is the target of modulation with modulat. That's huge for Bitwig.
just blogging my progress (instead of sleeping) :D one step forward, Knobmath 1.2, created a MIDI version of it (original is here https://maxforlive.com/library/device/3196/knobmath) plugin to able to hack this locking magic of AL, viewtopic.php?p=8012107#p8012107

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXAbA8sdM2M
better than nothing ... ( no it isn't per voice one :P that can be done only inside Voltage ...) at least learnt some m4l programming today :lol:
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

I've had Bitwig in my cross hairs for a long time. It does some things extremely well but it still needs work in many areas. I know this is subjective but to me the UI feels fiddlier compared with Live and it has many small niggles/inconsistencies, where Live seems to be a more polished product despite its many shortcomings. On paper I prefer Bitwig but, overall, I get the feeling Live might be more conducive to finished songs. BTW, at the moment I own/use neither Bitwig nor Live, but I like to keep an eye out for better tools (currently using FL).

Scoox wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:14 pmOn paper I prefer Bitwig but, overall, I get the feeling Live might be more conducive to finished songs.
Yeah, for some basic UI stuff, Live is more polished... Ableton Live is excellent software!

But any of these DAW's are plenty capable enough to finish songs. If someone isn't finishing songs, that is not due to the tools these days.

pdxindy wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:16 am
Scoox wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:14 pmOn paper I prefer Bitwig but, overall, I get the feeling Live might be more conducive to finished songs.
Yeah, for some basic UI stuff, Live is more polished... Ableton Live is excellent software!

But any of these DAW's are plenty capable enough to finish songs. If someone isn't finishing songs, that is not due to the tools these days.
Of course, but some DAWs make it easier

I actually pulled the trigger on getting Bitwig as Reason 11 on my 15" laptop is cramped as a DAW but always loved how Ableton was layed out on my laptop and the features of Bitwig is more than I could ever ask for at less than the cost of Live Suite (Also can use WASAPI driver)
So Reason Rack + Bitwig life for me

Scoox wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:24 am
pdxindy wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:16 am

Of course, but some DAWs make it easier
...relative to how you like to work, always. When I hear statements like this it's something of a trigger. Every DAW makes some things easier, and, depending on whether those are the things that are important to your workflow, that DAW makes working easier for you. I can't imagine someone who works from the score view in Cubase thinking that Bitwig makes things easier.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'm using both! Once Bitwig and once Live! There are things missing in both that make neither perfect! I won't make the same mistakes again and leave either :hihi: I think I'm the kind that tends to have a wife and a mistress and can't choose one between them. I love both if there is no 3rd on the corner! I'm bad bad husband :D

just to have the chance to come back and leave it again

machinesworking wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:13 am If there's one area of Bitwig I'm not that impressed with it's the pitch and time stretching of audio. I love all the choices for this in DP, and the IMO more straightforward approach in Live. Reaper is worse than Bitwig this way, but that's not saying a lot.
What is the issue with Reaper in this aspect? Not saying you are wrong, just interested. I really like the stretch/pitch workflow in Reaper but maybe i don't know what i am missing. Is it audio quality that is lacking?

cantaloupe wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:52 pm
machinesworking wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:13 am If there's one area of Bitwig I'm not that impressed with it's the pitch and time stretching of audio. I love all the choices for this in DP, and the IMO more straightforward approach in Live. Reaper is worse than Bitwig this way, but that's not saying a lot.
What is the issue with Reaper in this aspect? Not saying you are wrong, just interested. I really like the stretch/pitch workflow in Reaper but maybe i don't know what i am missing. Is it audio quality that is lacking?
The audio quality is good, the way it's implemented is mediocre at best. That's pretty much the story of Reaper. I wish Justin was kidnapped by MOTU and forced to use the UX of DP (but keep Reapers universal Tracks), and implemented all of his tight code into Digital Performer. The comping, key command setup, MIDI editing, section, etc. are all top notch in DP, but Reapers clean engine, and massive choices are great.

So... no Why you left Pro tools thread?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”