Why did you leave Studio One?

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
KVRist
96 posts since 7 Nov, 2009 from DC

Post Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:18 am

Why did you leave Studio One?

KVRAF
27684 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:29 am

I didn't. Bro. But thanks for asking anyway.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

KVRAF
6617 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:33 am

Nobody leaves Studio One, its where people end up.... :wink:
PC, BWS, Live and Studio One, Renoise, X32 Desk, Hardware Synths + Eurorack, MPC Live, A4 and RYTM, PT, TD27 V Drums, Guitars, Basses

KVRAF
27684 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:34 am

:tu:
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

KVRian
1285 posts since 2 Jun, 2003

Post Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:36 am

+1 For not leaving Studio One.
If every KVR member wrote one review a year we'd have 678 reviews each day!

KVRist

Topic Starter

96 posts since 7 Nov, 2009 from DC

Post Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:15 pm

SLiC wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:33 am
Nobody leaves Studio One, its where people end up.... :wink:
Wouldn't say that. For modern music makers it's still either Fl Studio. Logic or Ableton. With projects mixed in Pro Tools.

KVRist

Topic Starter

96 posts since 7 Nov, 2009 from DC

Post Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:19 pm

The pace of releases and adding 40 plus features per update reminds of what Ableton (Live 8) and Cubase (version 7) were doing. Via the facebook group never seen so many complaints for Presonus as for bugs/crashes. You remember Live 8 and Cubase 7. Those were terrible releases where customers jumped ship.

KVRAF
27684 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:20 pm

wuworld wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:19 pm
The pace of releases and adding 40 plus features per update reminds of what Ableton (Live 8) and Cubase (version 7) were doing.
Truely the one thing I dislike. I can see where they're coming from though. People want that and buy that. What can you do?
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

User avatar
addled muppet weed
76644 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:32 pm

why did you?

KVRist
159 posts since 11 Dec, 2018

Post Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:48 pm

I have a few issues with the MIDI editor. If those get resolved, I may come back to it.

I want to be able to select/insert/move notes quickly without having to use the keyboard. Specifically, I would like the right drag to select notes. Or even better, make mouse actions fully configurable.

I don't like how the select tool snaps to grid. I have no use for it, and miss notes sometimes because of it. I want to be able to select without snapping and move notes with snapping without having to enable and disable snap all the time.

Lastly, I want to be able to get the editor to remember the length of the last note when inserting a new note.

KVRian
736 posts since 18 Apr, 2011

Post Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:57 pm

mdstudio wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:48 pm
I have a few issues with the MIDI editor. If those get resolved, I may come back to it.

I want to be able to select/insert/move notes quickly without having to use the keyboard. Specifically, I would like the right drag to select notes. Or even better, make mouse actions fully configurable.

I don't like how the select tool snaps to grid. I have no use for it, and miss notes sometimes because of it. I want to be able to select without snapping and move notes with snapping without having to enable and disable snap all the time.

Lastly, I want to be able to get the editor to remember the length of the last note when inserting a new note.
This is exactly why I left. Midi editor not configurable enough for me. I use Reaper now, and now that I've configured it extensively, it would take something pretty huge to get me to consider going back.

Funny you mentioned the selection tools snapping to grid, that always bothered me more than it seems it should.

I think the FL studio midi editor is a great standard to compare to. It always seems like midi editors are just tacked on without thought it in most DAWs. It never seems like they took the time to learn a couple of midi editors in other DAWs, and get fluent with them before they design their own. That's when you start really understanding the pro's and con's of a particular design. S1's is pretty close in certain ways, but not quite there.

KVRAF
2083 posts since 5 Nov, 2014

Post Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:05 pm

Yeah, if only Cakewalk, Steinberg, eMagic and rest knew back than that they should cater to future bedroom producers who will just pencil in everything.

User avatar
KVRAF
2685 posts since 15 Feb, 2017 from a worn out vinyl groove

Post Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:09 pm

I've yet to arrive

KVRAF
3009 posts since 27 Jul, 2004

Post Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:12 pm

wuworld wrote:
Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:15 pm
... With projects mixed in Pro Tools.
Why on earth should I use the worst DAW for that...

...only the fact that it was the most chosen DAW for recording 2-3 decades ago doesn´t make it even considerable nowadays... it´s an ancient relict from which most people turn away from...

User avatar
KVRian
881 posts since 21 Nov, 2018

Post Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:24 pm

I leave it every night when I go to sleep

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”