FL Studio 20.9 Beta

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dark Lights wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:34 am Is it possible to remove (or bypass) the channel rack alltogether and work directly with the playlist just like in any other daw? I'm a Studio One user and want to move to FL. But this channel rack ... I don't need it. Can i remove it forever and never have a need to turn it on? Because it's just unneeded middleman in the middle of the screen. And I guess the pattern window would disappear too along with the channel rack. These two are the rudimentary parts for me. There are just to many clicks.

Is it possible that a track in the playlist would correspond directly to a channel in mixer?
I also want this to happen and have been pushing the IL staff whenever I get the chance. I will keep trying until we find a way to eliminate CR from the workflow.

My current main request is track cloning in Playlist, which will bring us a big step closer to our above goal.

Yeah, the CR and pattern windows are just UI spaces wasters and workflow killers.

Dark Lights wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:25 am Yeah, the CR and pattern windows are just UI spaces wasters and workflow killers.
What do you mean by pattern windows? I just see the main window as 'tracks' (lanes), you can close the pattern selector.

The CR can be really useful, I just consider it like a plug in (Reason rack?) but I agree the workflow requires too many windows and it could be rationalised. I think it is having the step sequencer integrated in to the rack that throws a lot of people...the CR was certainly the thing I found most confusing when I tried FL and it did put me off. Studio One also has all plugins in one holder with some common features, but that just does that one job, it isn't also a sample editor, filter, step sequencer...I think most people use CR as a drum rack with samples in most of the time, it is great at that and should just live as a track plug in (or even track type). All that said, I am new to FL and people have been using it for 20+ year and they may well want (even need) for it to stay the same, so maybe its just about more options- drop the VST on the CR 'or' the track and the behaviour will be different in each case...

I have just learned to use it as a step sequencer and plugin rack. Splitting those two things makes sense to me so you can just load an instrument in a track OR the step sequencer. I think this is coming and the workflow (being able to drop a VST on a track) is already there...the CR just sits in the background.

The Devs have stated that FL21 will have a more 'standard' workflow 'option' - other DAWS started linier and then added ways of working with patterns/blocks as an update- FL needs to do that the other way around!
Last edited by SLiC on Sat May 29, 2021 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:39 am
Dark Lights wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:25 am Yeah, the CR and pattern windows are just UI spaces wasters and workflow killers.
The Devs have stated that FL21 will have a more 'standard' workflow 'option' - other DAWS started linier and then added ways of working with patterns/blocks as an update- FL needs to do that the other way around!
Indeed :)

Also, there is 'Fire' (the AKAI hardware) that is basically a hardware CR, so they need to keep it in some form!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:46 am Also, there is 'Fire' (the AKAI hardware) that is basically a hardware CR, so they need to keep it in some form!
The Akai fire is shite, so it shouldn't count when it comes to that decision :)
I5-8600K, 16 GB, Presonus Audiobox USB 96, Fl Studio, Reason 11, Studio One 5 Artist.

Sure, it would be cool to have the option to toggle between two workflows then. Who Am I to said to just remove it? ))
The option to toggle between the workflows will attract the the users from other DAWs.

The Channel Rack's step sequencer is Fruity Loops.

The step sequencer is the quickest way to sequence. Everything else - including the piano roll - is an optional appendage.
eh?

I too don't get why people would want to make something out of FL it's just not made for. There are more than enough "linear" and "conventional" DAWs available. Just use them :D

mike_the_ranger wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:27 pm I too don't get why people would want to make something out of FL it's just not made for. There are more than enough "linear" and "conventional" DAWs available. Just use them :D
I suspect Image Line want to attract conventional DAW users over....

mike_the_ranger wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:27 pm I too don't get why people would want to make something out of FL it's just not made for. There are more than enough "linear" and "conventional" DAWs available. Just use them :D
Same holds true for any other DAW. No need to make a second Ableton out of something like Studio One either.

Sorry, I don't agree. I am using FL Studio since last 10 years and it is the only DAW that I have ever used. Why would I switch the DAW just for linear workflow when it is something that should be (and is being) embraced by FL Studio?

It's not only about linear workflow too. There are lots of other things that go hand in hand.

And with such new workflow enhancements being already rolled out along with many other things planned, it is in fact likely that many non-FL Studio users will start using it in future. Just because it is best for what it does and will also offer a decent linear workflow that they have been missing and avoiding FL Studio for for all these years.

I know that. But i love the FL studio policy - free upgrades. The latest S1 upgrade that costs 149 Dollars is not worth it. So that's why I want to switch. Even FL updates are often better than S1 upgrades.
Last edited by Dark Lights on Sun May 30, 2021 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

FL studio free upgrades is indeed a reason to use FL, the update policies of some other DAWS are almost like subscription as they often abandon older versions with existing bugs. Not all obviulsy, but certainly when I was on Cubase a lot of the 'paid' 0.5 updates fixed or finished things from the point update!

The other weird thing (random rant) is that the cost of a version upgrade can be almost as high as buying a DAW (especially with all the cross-grade deals and sales) so the second hand value of a licence that isn't the latest version is very low.

There can be no problem at all with adding the 'option' to use FL in pattern mode or non-pattern mode and it is definitely happening in FL21 (which will be free to all users!)

SLiC, I'll be waiting for it. 😀 Every time I launch FL demo, I want to create.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”