Whats The Best Value All In One Daw Solution Today ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Why do people keep asking these types of questions?
The answer to this question in all of its forms is invariably Studio One.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

Yup, that's definitely been my experience from shopping around and trying various replacements for Orion over the last few years. And even though I bought Studio One Professional, I know I could use S1 Artist, which is only $99.95, and not even notice the difference, in that none of the extra features in Professional are things I'd ever use.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

The best va :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

jamcat wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:13 amWhy do people keep asking these types of questions?The answer to this question in all of its forms is invariably Studio One.
BONES wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:56 amYup, that's definitely been my experience from shopping around and trying various replacements for Orion over the last few years. And even though I bought Studio One Professional, I know I could use S1 Artist, which is only $99.95, and not even notice the difference, in that none of the extra features in Professional are things I'd ever use.
No, the answer definitely isn't "Studio One" if you for example plan of producing electronic music and have no collection of 3rd party plugins yet. In that case Live, FL, Reason, Bitwig or even Cubase win hands down, as S1 comes with barely acceptable instruments, workhorse mixing effects and no creative FX to speak of.

In other words it's subjective - like everything regarding music.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:48 am and have no collection of 3rd party plugins yet.
Literally no one on KVR even knows what that’s like. :lol:

jamcat wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:52 am
antic604 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:48 am and have no collection of 3rd party plugins yet.
That's literally not true.

There's dozens of posts from new people who are just starting and don't have anything yet. When I joined KvR in 2017 I only had Renoise, headphones and no plugins, too.

Anyway, I thought the "best bang for the buck DAW" concerns being able to use it without any or with minimal amount of 3rd party plugins? The "bang" is measured by amount of instruments, FX, sound content and features you get for the unit of money. S1 is not that (for me, at least), although it's a fantastic DAW regardless.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:15 am
jamcat wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:52 am
That's literally not true.

There's dozens of posts from new people who are just starting and don't have anything yet. When I joined KvR in 2017 I only had Renoise, headphones and no plugins, too.

Anyway, I thought the "best bang for the buck DAW" concerns being able to use it without any or with minimal amount of 3rd party plugins? The "bang" is measured by amount of instruments, FX, sound content and features you get for the unit of money. S1 is not that (for me, at least), although it's a fantastic DAW regardless.
Studio One has:

Over 30 Gigs of sample content. (Professional)

Has a complete suite of effect devices for all types of music, except for a dedicated vocoder.

The instruments cover the basic foundations, including sampling... So creativity is all very much there when you add in automation aspects and sound sets that are provided.

I think Presonus have the balance about right, in actually providing the essentials while concentrating on the DAW itself.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Logic...

antic604 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:48 amNo, the answer definitely isn't "Studio One" if you for example plan of producing electronic music and have no collection of 3rd party plugins yet. In that case Live, FL, Reason, Bitwig or even Cubase win hands down, as S1 comes with barely acceptable instruments, workhorse mixing effects and no creative FX to speak of.
Absolute rubbish. Firstly, the thought that electronic music is in some way special, requiring tools that other styles of music do not, is stupid. In fact, if I use "creative effects" at all, it's usually on my vocals, not on any of the electronic parts, simply because there are plenty of ways to get creative with a synth, not so many with vocals.

The problem is that you guys are spoiled and think you need so much shit to make music but you don't. The content that comes with Presence, for example, is really impressive. It's like a software Triton or something and plenty of us have made decent music with a Triton and not much else (Trinity in my case). I don't like Mojito much but it's not terrible. Impact XT is not too far adrift of Battery or GrooveAgent, too. In fact, I probably prefer it to either of those. Add in the free tier of Kontakt and a few well chosen free VSTi and you're off and running for less than $100. As much as I like being inspired by all my shiny new toys, the reality is that I know I could make great music with a set-up like that. With another $100 or so worth of well chosen instruments, I'd be set for life.

What would that extra $100 worth look like? Hmmm... I'd start with JP6K for $29, then get Thorn when it was $39. Then I'd wait for Union and Vacuum Pro to be $15 each. Add in Invader 2 for the minimum $5 and it comes in $3 over my $100 budget and would easily see me through to retirement (which is at least another 7 years away, as we have plans to keep releasing albums until I turn 70). Of course, I'd miss having guitars but I'd survive, or save up until I could afford Iron 2.
Last edited by BONES on Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Cubase or logic. Logic because it is subsidized and has a great sampler capability. But stuck on Mac. The absolute pinnacle of NOT bang for buck. Cubase has a complete and ever expanding suite of excellent plugins over a massive number of use cases. Excellent synths and serviceable rompler. S1 is babu-dick Cubase.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

apoclypse wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:54 pm
chk071 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:51 pm It is. And, it's great value for (no) money. :) If I had no budget, I'd use it. I'm just too spoiled by other DAW's to really get into it.
Yeah. The last time I used Cakewalk it was still called Sonar and it wasn't even the redesigned UI version yet.
The last time I used Cakewalk it was called Cakewalk before it was called Sonar:
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ca ... ro-audio-9
:clown:
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

To add just a bit.. if you are a grid/clip type person Ableton orBitwigare your options. The other Daws have crappy,limited nods to that workflow. But yuk. Flstudio is like the accidental hated offspring of logic and live. All of the convoluted disadvantes of both without the focus and streamlined approach of either.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

Boone777 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 2:59 am
apoclypse wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:54 pm
chk071 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:51 pm It is. And, it's great value for (no) money. :) If I had no budget, I'd use it. I'm just too spoiled by other DAW's to really get into it.
Yeah. The last time I used Cakewalk it was still called Sonar and it wasn't even the redesigned UI version yet.
The last time I used Cakewalk it was called Cakewalk before it was called Sonar:
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ca ... ro-audio-9
:clown:
The last time I used Cakewalk it didn't do audio.

That's how I remember Cakewalk looking, too. Definitely no audio when I had it.
SJ_Digriz wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:52 amTo add just a bit.. if you are a grid/clip type person Ableton orBitwigare your options. The other Daws have crappy,limited nods to that workflow.
The thing is, if it wasn't for Live, there would be no clip/grid workflow, so it is probably something you need to be born into, at least a bit. I'd been doing this for more than 20 years when Live v1 was released and I've never been able to see any value in that workflow for me.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:21 pm
Effectsworks wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:04 am It is in fairness. I love it as a DAW though. But I think Logic overall is probably the best bang for the buck. :)
Considering it's not multi-platform and the cost of buying a Mac, Logic isn't.
As mentioned earlier, the combined value of a low/mid end Mac (if it will meet your requirements) and Logic is very high. This becomes even more so, over time, due to Logic having free upgrades, Macs having high resale value and Macs lasting longer.

If you already have a Mac, because you (correctly) consider them to be superior machines to everything else on the market, the value of Logic is even more incredible.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”