Ableton Live 11.1 - Apple Silicon support public beta now available

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
User avatar
antic604
KVRAF
10770 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:43 am

Blog post:

https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/live-11 ... blic-beta/

Highlights of other features (link to full release notes below):
  • When you expand a Live Set in the browser, either from the Current Project folder, Templates folder, or a folder of Sets you have added in Places, you can unfold the tracks in the Set to reveal their device chains. These chains can then be moved into the current open Set using drag and drop or by double-clicking on the chain. The Device settings from the original Set are retained but any previously recorded automation is not.
  • In Clip View, all clip properties are now displayed in tabs instead of additional panels. The tabs in Clip View can be arranged vertically or horizontally by selecting “Arrange Clip View Panels Vertically” or “Arrange Clip View Panels Horizontally” from the View menu.
  • Time selection interactions, note selection interactions, and new note editing options have been added to multi-clip editing
  • Introduced "Shifter", a new audio effect in Live Standard and Suite. Shifter is a multi-purpose audio effect for pitch shifting, frequency shifting, and ring modulation
  • Introduced the Align Delay device, which is now included in the set of Max for Live devices that come with a Suite license, or a Standard plus Max for Live license. Align Delay is a Max for Live device that delays incoming signals by samples, milliseconds, or meters/feet
  • Introduced the MIDI Shaper device, which is now included in the set of Max for Live devices that come with a Suite license, or a Standard plus Max for Live license. MIDI Shaper is a Max for Live MIDI device that uses multi-breakpoint envelopes to generate mappable modulation data
  • The Cytomic Filters, which are used in the Wavetable, Echo, Simpler, Sampler, Operator, and Auto Filter devices, have been updated and improved in stability, sound and performance.
  • Added an MPE Settings dialog box to the I/O section of Live’s mixer
https://www.ableton.com/en/release-notes/live-11-beta/
Last edited by antic604 on Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:14 am, edited 4 times in total.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

SLiC
KVRAF
8264 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:47 am

OK, Apple Silicon support may be the headline, but that is a massive .1 update with a lot of new features and implements.
PC + S49 MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live (+PUSH2), FL Studio, Renoise, Reason, X32 Desk, Hardware Synths (Summit, Hydrasynth, DM12, P8), A4 + RYTM, MPC Live, Poly Tracker, Eurorack, TD27 V Drums, Guitars, Basses, Amps and Pedals

SLiC
KVRAF
8264 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:05 am

For MPE users the Highlights also include a new MPE control panel in the mixer offering configuration and set up for different controllers and plugins (even non MPE plugins)
PC + S49 MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live (+PUSH2), FL Studio, Renoise, Reason, X32 Desk, Hardware Synths (Summit, Hydrasynth, DM12, P8), A4 + RYTM, MPC Live, Poly Tracker, Eurorack, TD27 V Drums, Guitars, Basses, Amps and Pedals

User avatar
antic604
KVRAF

Topic Starter

10770 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:11 am

SLiC wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:05 am
For MPE users the Highlights also include a new MPE control panel in the mixer offering configuration and set up for different controllers and plugins (even non MPE plugins)
Thanks, added to highlights.

Still, no icon indicating that track has comping takes?! :dog: :scared:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

SLiC
KVRAF
8264 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:14 am

antic604 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:11 am
SLiC wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:05 am
For MPE users the Highlights also include a new MPE control panel in the mixer offering configuration and set up for different controllers and plugins (even non MPE plugins)
Thanks, added to highlights.

Still, no icon indicating that track has comping takes?! :dog: :scared:
Yeh, they are clearly not interested in doing that for some reason, I can't see why but there you!
PC + S49 MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live (+PUSH2), FL Studio, Renoise, Reason, X32 Desk, Hardware Synths (Summit, Hydrasynth, DM12, P8), A4 + RYTM, MPC Live, Poly Tracker, Eurorack, TD27 V Drums, Guitars, Basses, Amps and Pedals

paradiddle
KVRAF
1538 posts since 15 Aug, 2001 from montreal, canada

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:16 am

The update is big! I guess the shifter is a native device since it runs in ableton standard?
Stuck in Aperture Laboratories for a 2nd time!

User avatar
antic604
KVRAF

Topic Starter

10770 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:17 am

SLiC wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:14 am
antic604 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:11 am
Still, no icon indicating that track has comping takes?! :dog: :scared:
Yeh, they are clearly not interested in doing that for some reason, I can't see why but there you!
Plot twist - they plan to turn clips into containers (like that other Ableton Live DAW...), which will allow us to edit audio directly in the bottom panel also in Session View and keep takes inside of clip, so then the clip would need a "comp" icon instead ;)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

SLiC
KVRAF
8264 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:23 am

antic604 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:17 am
SLiC wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:14 am
antic604 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:11 am
Still, no icon indicating that track has comping takes?! :dog: :scared:
Yeh, they are clearly not interested in doing that for some reason, I can't see why but there you!
Plot twist - they plan to turn clips into containers (like that other Ableton Live DAW...), which will allow us to edit audio directly in the bottom panel also in Session View and keep takes inside of clip, so then the clip would need a "comp" icon instead ;)
Speculation or did you read this?
PC + S49 MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live (+PUSH2), FL Studio, Renoise, Reason, X32 Desk, Hardware Synths (Summit, Hydrasynth, DM12, P8), A4 + RYTM, MPC Live, Poly Tracker, Eurorack, TD27 V Drums, Guitars, Basses, Amps and Pedals

User avatar
antic604
KVRAF

Topic Starter

10770 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:33 am

SLiC wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:23 am
Speculation or did you read this?
No, just a fevered prayer :pray:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Dalle
KVRist
127 posts since 24 Oct, 2015

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:36 am

It's a conscious choice from them I think. A clip automatically has takes if you loop record, but most users probably ignore those and just treat it as a cropped clip. They designed it so you never have to see comping unless you seek it out.

User avatar
antic604
KVRAF

Topic Starter

10770 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:36 am

I wonder what's this about:
Introduced the Align Delay device, which is now included in the set of Max for Live devices that come with a Suite license, or a Standard plus Max for Live license. Align Delay is a Max for Live device that delays incoming signals by samples, milliseconds, or meters/feet.
I wonder if that will work like Bitwig's Time Shift? But it only mentions delaying the signal, not moving it ahead of time as well, so probably less useful (e.g. for look-ahead type of stuff).
Last edited by antic604 on Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
antic604
KVRAF

Topic Starter

10770 posts since 4 Jan, 2017 from Warsaw, Poland

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:41 am

Dalle wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:36 am
It's a conscious choice from them I think. A clip automatically has takes if you loop record, but most users probably ignore those and just treat it as a cropped clip. They designed it so you never have to see comping unless you seek it out.
I'm just asking for a small icon, similar to the "chain" icon when you link tracks, that indicates that this particular track has comping takes. That would greatly help when "seeking it out", actually :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
Autobot
KVRian
954 posts since 27 Mar, 2013

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:53 am

"The Cytomic Filters, which are used in the Wavetable, Echo, Simpler, Sampler, Operator, and Auto Filter devices, have been updated and improved in stability, sound and performance."
I wonder if this is it what Andy was talking about or if we can suspect something different with an upcoming releases. Does Autofilter now oversampling?
I grew up on a junkyard, where I started to feed from hubcaps and bumpers

User avatar
billcarroll
KVRAF
2397 posts since 9 Dec, 2011 from falling

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:00 am

Autobot wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:53 am
"The Cytomic Filters, which are used in the Wavetable, Echo, Simpler, Sampler, Operator, and Auto Filter devices, have been updated and improved in stability, sound and performance."
I wonder if this is it what Andy was talking about or if we can suspect something different with an upcoming releases. Does Autofilter now oversampling?
Andy also worked on the Wavetable filters ...

Wavetable:

A context menu option for Hi-Quality mode has been added to the Wavetable device. When Hi-Quality is off, Wavetable modulation is calculated every 32 samples. Low-power versions of the Cytomic filters are also used to further reduce CPU. Using Wavetable with Hi-Quality mode off can save up to 25% CPU compared to having it enabled, which is ideal for working with large sets or maintaining low latencies. Please note that as of 11.1, Hi-Quality mode will be off by default when loading a new instance of Wavetable or any of its Core Library presets. However, any user presets or Live Sets created previously will still load Wavetable in Hi-Quality mode to ensure sound consistency with earlier Live versions. Subtle sound differences may occur when Hi-Quality mode is enabled.

danielh02
KVRist
48 posts since 20 Mar, 2016

Post Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:16 am

Wow - almost passed by the usual beta release email. Usually just small bug fixes - wasn't expecting this!

-Dan
Windows/Mac | Studio One, Live, Logic | Push 2, Maschine MKIII, Atom SQ | Presonus Quantum 2, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, | Fender, Godin, Taylor

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”