Stargate DAW

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Runs on Raspberry Pi4 which is cool
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Not familiar with Raspberry Pi, have heard of it though
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Revolutionary CPU optimized DSP algorithms provide up to 4x as much battery life as mainstream DAWs and plugins. No power outlet? No problem.

Plugins with warmth, character and soul will bring your music to life. No more sterile sounding digital oscillators.
Mhm.

Halonmusic wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:55 pm Not familiar with Raspberry Pi, have heard of it though
Its a computer that costs £50 and is very hackable

https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry ... xsQAvD_BwE
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:13 pm
Halonmusic wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:55 pm Not familiar with Raspberry Pi, have heard of it though
Its a computer that costs £50 and is very hackable

https://thepihut.com/products/raspberry ... xsQAvD_BwE
thanks. :)

Well... A new DAW can only be a good thing. Although, how well it does against the already established big boys is another story.

With all this supposed innovation however, you'd think that they would have made it look a little nicer. To me, it looks like a really old version of cubase with kind of clunky interfaces for the plugs.

Price point is good. Best of luck, they might a little niche for themselves.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

chk071 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:08 pm
Revolutionary CPU optimized DSP algorithms provide up to 4x as much battery life as mainstream DAWs and plugins. No power outlet? No problem.

Plugins with warmth, character and soul will bring your music to life. No more sterile sounding digital oscillators.
Mhm.
Indeed... A very easy thing for them to say. I guess the proof will be in the listening...
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

no VST support...

Robmobius wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 5:26 pm With all this supposed innovation however, you'd think that they would have made it look a little nicer. To me, it looks like a really old version of cubase with kind of clunky interfaces for the plugs.
Of course the 10-30 year old DAW with a full time design team looks nicer than the 1.0 DAW publicly announced a week ago, 99.9% developed by one guy :D

The UI is very theme-able using CSS, my hope is that some talented web designer folks will take a liking to it and work their magic, maybe even create an array of different themes to choose from. My skill set is predominantly low level C code + Python, not a designer. There's also a light theme already available, but TBH I did not put much effort into it, and AFAICT most people don't use light themes.

Danilo Villanova wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:26 pm no VST support...
VST support would have made it impossible to achieve the project's design goals:

1. Extremely portable and durable projects. Move your projects to a different computer, running any OS or CPU architecture, open and edit them in a VM running the Stargate Linux distro 30 years from now.
2. Targeting 15 year old laptops and ARM boards like rpi4, only possible when I can guarantee a certain level of optimization in the plugins

As a music and tech enthusiast, my options were pretty much:
1. Write "yet another VST host" with delusions that I can do it better than the company who controls the VST standard, has hundreds of employees and a 30 year head start on me
2. Innovate any way I can, provide features and experiences that none of the VST hosts can provide

Think of Stargate DAW as like Reason in the pre-RE and pre-VST era. Plenty of people used Reason as a DAW, everybody complained that Reason did not implement VST support, and now that they do, it seems people only use Reason as a VST plugin and not a host.

ooh something a bit different, now make it the same!!!

on a more serious note, not for me personally, but i wish you well with it.
always good to have more tools that some people might find useful!! 8)

stargate wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:24 pm
VST support would have made it impossible to achieve the project's design goals:

1. Extremely portable and durable projects. Move your projects to a different computer, running any OS or CPU architecture, open and edit them in a VM running the Stargate Linux distro 30 years from now.
2. Targeting 15 year old laptops and ARM boards like rpi4, only possible when I can guarantee a certain level of optimization in the plugins

As a music and tech enthusiast, my options were pretty much:
1. Write "yet another VST host" with delusions that I can do it better than the company who controls the VST standard, has hundreds of employees and a 30 year head start on me
2. Innovate any way I can, provide features and experiences that none of the VST hosts can provide

Think of Stargate DAW as like Reason in the pre-RE and pre-VST era. Plenty of people used Reason as a DAW, everybody complained that Reason did not implement VST support, and now that they do, it seems people only use Reason as a VST plugin and not a host.
Cool! I like the plugin rack concept. My Nektar Impact MIDI keyboard is not recognized in the MIDI hardware sectin though :(

EDIT: Nevermind, I got it to work. :) :phones:

That'd be a deal breaker...

stargate wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:16 pm Of course the 10-30 year old DAW with a full time design team looks nicer than the 1.0 DAW publicly announced a week ago, 99.9% developed by one guy :D
Anyway, not really my thing, but the concept is interesting.

I wish you the best with it.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”