Did I choose the right software & hardware + few questions

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

my name is Anna and I have just finished my university degree and finally want to start producing music (I wanted to do so since my childhood but never had time and money)

I already have read a lot through about all available tools. And wow it is a lot!

Anyway. Right now I have decided to go for Ableton Live Suit (since I still get student discount) and likely Ableton Push 2

But google could not help answering one simple question:

1. Is this setup the right one for producing electronic music?

I have a particular style I want to reach: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucqGK_QJeTk

2. I am really wondering if I would put my money best with that setup?

Because as far I have figure out Ishome for example only uses a Korg NanoController :D which I could get used for 20 bucks

I really would appreciate some competent answers which pushes me in the right direction!

I am not even sure if this here is a nice communities I can go for to get friendly answers for newbies or if this is for more advanced ones?

Last but not least:
I have studied all tracks from Ishome and I noticed that she often uses the same/similar sound snippets (i dont even know yet if this is the right term)

3. Where would I get also such sound snippets?
4. Can I create something like the wind instrument here with ableton live https://youtu.be/ucqGK_QJeTk?t=157 or do I need some more software tools and if so, which?
5. Where do I get usually vocals from like this: https://youtu.be/ucqGK_QJeTk?t=220 or this https://youtu.be/FeHkNSAuZiU?t=83

I would appreciate a lot if you would answer these 5 questions.

Ty
Last edited by AnnaKl on Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1. You can do it in any DAW. I warmly recommend to try several (live, bitwig, Flstudio, reason, reaper, studio one, tracktion) in peace and then choose what fits you the best.

What you need gearwise? Only pads? Keyboard? Microphone?

2. I'd start with freeware and some really cheap midi keyboard and pads. When you know better what you need, it's easier not to waste your money.

3. Usually you get a "snippet" by snipping it from somewhere.

4. Not sure if live had any wind instruments built it, but there are quality soundfonts for example.

5. From a singer

AnnaKl wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:44 pm 2. I am really wondering if I put my money best with that setup?
Isn't it a bit late for that now? :)

Anyway, I would say, with Ableton Live and your Push controller, you're very well equipped for what you're aiming for. Even though you may lack some sound generator options, i.e. some software synthesizers, I think Ableton comes with some decent ones already though, so, you might want to try those out first. Ableton should also come with a decent sound library, so, you can also look there first. As I mentioned, I think you're well equipped with that for the moment.

Can you play any instruments? Do you sing, or have any musical experience?

Live Suite & PUSH2 is a great setup if you know how to use it.

Sorry I am not a native speaker and did a mistake. I havent bought this setup yet :)

And no. I have not any experience in that field. I cannot even read notes :scared:

But I really want to do it and I am keen and not a person that gives up quickly.

AnnaKl wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:23 pm Sorry I am not a native speaker and did a mistake. I havent bought this setup yet :)

And no. I have not any experience in that field. I cannot even read notes :scared:

But I really want to do it and I am keen and not a person that gives up quickly.
nothing wrong with wanting to learn :)
so long as you dont expect to be releasing awesome music in a couple of months.

might be worth picking up a small keyboard controller, the push is great, but not going to be easy to learn the basics of music on.
also a beginner book on music theory, in your native tongue.

as for whether we are friendly, id say yes, for the most part, but we are only human so do make mistakes.
but stick with it, theres many helpful people here who will get you set up and running :tu:

enjoy your new musical journey :ud:

In that case my advice is to learn how to play an instrument (keys, guitar, whatever) first. That way you can progress into electronic music with some idea (musically) of what you are doing. I use Live & Push2, but I started on guitar, learned to play chords then learned to write songs ... it takes time and effort. :)

Another thing that helps a beginner use chords and scales for practice and producing is ChordwarePA.

Or a DAW that has helpers.. Reason has a player that sticks to a scale you choose, reaper you can download a scalepack with zillions of scales and you never hit miss, FLStudio has a nice helper for basic chords and scales that highlights you the correct keys.

Thank you all for yout contributions. That gave me a good direction and made me confident that I am on the right track :)

Actually, you'd do fine by buying a launchpad mini mk3. You'd get a good controller that works with pretty much every DAW, ableton live lite and some other software.
So you could decide in peace if Live is for you and upgrade to full version cheaper.
If you decide to grab for example Reason (which is pretty complete virtual studio) or Bitwig, you'd still have nice pads to accompany it.
Mk3 is around 105€.

Any software can do, Ableton will be fine, along with a controller. Now, apart from gear, you need some basics about harmony and rhythm. Where to start ? First try to make simple things : a drum loop, a melody. Then enhance with bass, chords and snippets. If you encounter problems, ask.
You can't always get what you waaaant...

I would even recommend that you don't get a controller before you even start (unless you have a lot of money for it). You can use the keyboard on your computer for drum programming and melodies. A computer and a DAW will take you 99% of the way. Focus on knowledge and the craft and your own ideas. Gear means nothing. A laptop with ableton is all you need, guaranteed. Get a controller if you have the money, it might be nice to have. But never feel like you need it to make this kind of music, because you don't. Borrow a book about mixing, experiment tons, have fun.

Last edited by codec_spurt on Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Life is too short and you will spend money on something else anyways, so instead of wasting time, just get Live, Push and at least 61 keys sized MIDI keyboard and start learning them all ASAP, invest in your knowledge, watch You Tube videos, take music lessons, learn to play keyboards, if you have some money aside, go attend some music course or find someone to teach you in-outs, get right in there.

It's important for you to develop in the right direction, to take your fresh ideas and make them happen, instead of spending years playing around until you realize you actually need to learn how to play an instrument and read the notes, that just laptop isn't enough and that chord and whatever helpers made you incompetent.

Have fun, Live+Push will ensure that for sure, whatever you do, just don't play qwerty keyboard and pencil in notes, you are making yourself incompetent, develop as an artist.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”